The BEST homemade hot chocolate -a rich and creamy drink that tastes heavenly on a cold winter day! Only takes 5 ingredients and 10 minutes to make.
This easy homemade hot chocolate is quite possibly the best out there. My family LOVES it. It is super rich and creamy, just the way we like it. Way better than the packaged stuff.
How to make homemade hot chocolate
For this recipe you just need a few simple ingredients (all the good stuff):
You’ll cook the milk and chocolate together on low heat until it has melted. Then you’ll dissolve the sugar and heat just until warmed. I like to add the vanilla at the very end so the flavor really comes through. At this point I love to taste it and add a pinch of salt or cinnamon if I think it needs it. If it’s too rich for your taste you can always add more milk at this point too. We love it nice and chocolatey (is that a word- ha) though!
We also love to top our hot chocolate with mini marshmallows and crushed candy canes around Christmas time. You can even add in a candy cane to make it look festive and to stir in more of a minty flavor. Adding an adis mint to the bottom of the cup taste amazing too ;)
Homemade hot chocolate recipe
Homemade hot chocolate
- 3 cups low-fat milk more to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Pinch of salt pinch of cinnamon, mini marshmallows, crushed candy canes, whipped cream
- Combine the milk, cream and chocolate chips in a saucepan over medium low heat. Cook until the chocolate has melted, whisking frequently. Stir in the sugar and cook an additional 2 minutes. Taste and add more milk if desired. Once warm, remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Add a pinch of salt and cinnamon if desired.
- Pour into glasses. Top with mini marshmallows or whipped cream if desired.
If serving this recipe for a crowd feel free to double (or triple). You can easily move to the slow cooker to keep warm. Just make sure to stir just before serving. The chocolate tends to rise to the top, so giving it a good stir will mix it all together.
Looking for more hot drink recipes? You’ll love these too: