This homemade tortilla chips are light, airy and super crispy. These are so simple, you just need 3 ingredients and 20 minutes. They’re absolutely delicious, you’ll love this tortilla chips recipe!
One of my favorite snacks is chips and salsa. I could eat it all day, every day! So what’s a girl to do when she’s out of tortilla chips and finds a stash of tortillas? Make them, of course! These came out so light, airy and crispy.
These homemade tortilla chips are a wonderful addition to any Mexican dish. They can be made on the stove top or baked in the oven for a lighter chip. Super easy and absolutely delicious. You’ll be making this tortilla chips recipe over and over again! They taste like they came straight from a Mexican restaurant.
How to make tortilla chips
- Cut into triangles: Using kitchen scissors or a pizza cutter, cut the tortilla into 6 to 8 triangles.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat to 350°F. Once hot, add 12 tortilla triangles at a time and cook one minute per side, or until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool: Remove chips with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle salt on top while hot.
Baked tortilla chips
While I do prefer the fried tortillas chips, the baked ones are a little lighter and still super crispy.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brush each side of the tortilla with oil and then place on a foil lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the tops with salt.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- You can use corn or flour tortillas, but I have found the extra thin corn tortillas have the best taste and resemble ones from a Mexican restaurant.
- Make sure to keep the oil right around 340-350°F. If you notice the oil getting too hot, turn it off for a minute. If you it’s lower, then turn the heat up. Don’t walk away at this point!
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels before you begin. That way you can easily transfer the chips to cool.
- Season with salt right after you take them out, that way it will stick to the chip.
- Save the oil in a jar for another time.
Dips for serving
Tortilla Chips Recipe
- 12 (6 inch) thin tortillas , I prefer the Mission's extra thin corn tortillas
- Vegetable or canola oil
- Salt , to taste
- Using kitchen scissors or a pizza cutter, cut the tortilla into 6 triangles.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil has reached 340°F, add about 12 tortillas to the pan. Cook about one minute per side, or until lightly browned. If you notice the oil getting too hot, turn the heat down. You do not want it over 350°F or the chips will burn.
- Remove chips with slotted spoon or tongs and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle salt on top of the chips immediately and allow to cool.
- Serve homemade tortilla chips with your favorite dip. These are best served the first day, however you can store any leftovers in a paper bag for up to 3 days.