This homemade queso blanco dip takes just 5 minutes to prep and only 5 ingredients to make. This creamy white cheese dip is seriously the best ever!
Table of Contents
The Best Queso Blanco Dip
When it comes to tasty appetizers, give me ALL the dips. Especially Mexican dips…the flavors just can’t be beat! This recipe is a favorite of mine, as well as 7-layer dip, mango salsa and black bean and corn salsa.
One of my favorite appetizers to get when eating out at Mexican restaurants is queso blanco dip (aka white queso dip). One night at my favorite Mexican restaurant, I was to make some at home over the weekend and it turned out amazing! And let me tell you, it is SO easy to make.
Just dump it all in the slow cooker and let it do all the work for you, just like with my cream cheese bean dip!
After reading online that white American cheese (only found in the deli) is the way to go, I can definitely confirm that! I had experimented with other cheeses before and the white American cheese really is the best because it creates a super creamy dip. Plus the green chilies give the white queso the perfect kick, while not being overly spicy (my kids loved it).
This queso blanco dip is the perfect appetizer for game day (especially the super bowl), too! The boys will love it. It also goes great with my guacamole and salsa. You can even serve it on top of your favorite Mexican dishes or use it as a nacho bar topping. Yum!
Five simple ingredients is all it takes to make a dip that is a crowd favorite.
Scroll down for the printable recipe and video tutorial below.
- Cream cheese: You’ll need one 8-ounce block of cream cheese. This helps give the dip that perfectly creamy texture. Remember to cut it into 1/2 inch cubes before adding to the slow cooker.
- White American cheese: This cheese is the best kind when making white cheese dip! I’ve experimented with other cheeses (Monterey jack, pepper jack) and white American is by far the winner. It adds great flavor and creaminess. I get mine from the deli, which is where you can only find it at most local grocery stores.
- Butter: Make sure to use salted butter. You’ll only need to add in a little – about 1 Tablespoon.
- Green chiles: The green chiles add the perfect kick without too much heat. If you’re not a spice fan, simply add half the amount of chiles.
- Milk: Add about 3-4 Tablespoons of milk to thin out the queso a little so that it’s perfectly creamy and smooth.
- Optional: I like to top with sliced jalapenos and fresh cilantro.
- Add in cooked meat such as chorizo, ground beef, or sausage.
- Swap the green chiles for jalapenos or pickled jalapenos.
- Add diced onions or minced garlic, if you want to kick up the flavor
- Try it with a can of Rotel
- Want a little more spice? Add a dash or two of hot sauce or your favorite spice peppers.
- Try it with a little extra seasoning, like garlic powder or onion powder.
How to Make Queso Blanco Dip in Crockpot
It doesn’t get any easier than this, folks. Simply dump everything in the slow cooker and you are good to party.
- Cook in crock pot. In a slow cooker, combine cream cheese, American cheese, butter, green chiles and jalapenos. Cook on high to melt the cheese.
- Stir. Stir the mixture until well combined and then add a Tablespoon at a time of milk and water until desired consistency is met.
- Cook. Cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted and smooth.
- Using a 4-6 quart slow cooker works best when making this recipe but if you are in a hurry you can microwave for 5 minutes stopping to stir every minute.
- Stick with white American cheese! This is the key component for a perfectly creamy and flavorful white queso.
- Use whole milk versus skim. It needs the extra fat to make this creamy.
- Get fancy and serve it like a cheese fondue!
- When serving, I love to top with jalapenos and chopped cilantro. We keep it classic and use homemade tortilla chips for dipping, however chopped veggies taste great too if you’re looking for a healthier option!
- Go beyond the dip and try pouring it over burritos, tacos, enchiladas, and casseroles to give them a cheesy kick.
This queso blanco dip recipe is made using white American cheese, cream cheese, milk, and green chiles.
I like to serve this warm when the cheese is still gooey and easily dippable.
Yes! You can even triple it if you are feeding a really big crowd. You might just need a bigger crockpot.
Of course. Add the ingredients to a medium pot over medium-low heat, and stir it occasionally to make sure it melts evenly. I prefer the slow cooker because it is so easy and it keeps the dip warm. If you make it on the stovetop, you will also want to serve it immediately and may even need to reheat if it gets cold.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. When reheating, add a teaspoon of water and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and add another teaspoon water if needed. Heat in 30 second increments until hot.
Craving even more queso recipes? Try fried mac and cheese, cheese ball bites, or ham and cheese sliders on Hawaiian rolls.
More Tasty Cheese Dips
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Queso Blanco Recipe
- 4-6 quart crockpot
- 1 (8-ounce) package regular cream cheese , cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound white American cheese , cut into 1/2-inch cubes (found in deli)
- 1 Tablespoon salted butter
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
- Pinch ground cumin
- 3-4 Tablespoons whole milk
- 2-3 Tablespoons water
Optional toppings: Chopped cilantro, Diced tomatoes, or Sliced jalapeños
For serving: Tortilla chips
- In a 4- to 6-quart crockpot, combine the cream cheese, American cheese, butter, green chiles, and cumin. Cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Stir until well combined and then add 1 Tablespoon milk and 1 Tablespoon water at a time until you reach the desired consistency. Cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted and combined.
- Keep dip in the crockpot on the warm setting until ready to serve. Top with chopped cilantro, tomatoes, and jalapenos, if desired. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Add in cooked meat such as chorizo, beef, or sausage.
- Swap the green chiles for jalapenos.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I have never rated anything until now…this is the best queso dip. I have made your recipe for years and have recommended it to numerous people. It has been a hit since I discovered it. I even make it on Christmas. I sometimes substitute a few cans of Rotel for the chiles depending if there are kids eating it. Thanks for the recipe!
Hi Colleen! That is great to hear. I am so glad that you loved the queso! Thanks for the great review.
Can I make this in the oven? Approx size dish? I want to set on the table with appetizers and the crock pot seems like overkill?
I haven’t tried, but you probably can… it may not stay as gooey as long. This dip is a good baked one: https://www.iheartnaptime.net/chicken-enchilada-dip/
Could queso fresco be used in place of some of the American cheese? I have so much queso fresco on hand, and am looking for ways to really put it to work. TIA
Yes you could :)
Love the simplicity of this recipe! So yummy and so easy!
Made this for taco night and it was amazing! Never buying premade dip again. So easy and tasted way better.
Mmm! I made this last night for when we had our neighbors over and it was perfect to snack on while playing games!
So glad you enjoyed the queso blanco dip!
How much jalapeno?
We always just add a few slices on top before serving. But you could also mix some diced jalapeno into the dip as well depending on how spicy you like it.
You are seriously my hero, we go to Moes here for Mexican white queso and this is a spot on flavor of their omg so good!
My family and I LOVE this recipe! It’s delicious!
Glad to hear it is a family favorite, Jill!