The best homemade guacamole recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make! Perfect for a summer BBQ or even a mid day snack. This easy guacamole will become a fast favorite!
I’ll admit it – I could eat a whole bowl of homemade guacamole. There’s just something about dips (especially Mexican dips) that test my self control. I can’t get enough!
Today I have one of the best homemade guacamole recipes for you! I think I’ve made this recipe at least 3 times this month. It is seriously so good and completely addicting. You are fair warned! ;)
The best part is, this recipe only takes about 10 minutes to make. This homemade guacamole is perfect for summer BBQ’s or even a mid day snack! Enjoy with fresh tortilla chips or add it to your favorite Mexican dish. You can’t go wrong!
Avocados: You’ll need about 3 medium avocados. Make sure they are ripe and soft to touch. Check out these tips for how to cut an avocado.
Lime: Guacamole isn’t complete without lime! I add the juice from 1 whole lime, but feel free to add more or less based on your preference.
Onion: I like the flavor that red onion adds, so I’d recommend using this over a white onion. Make sure it’s finely chopped before adding in.
Salsa: One of my secrets to the best guacamole is mixing in some salsa! You only need a couple of Tablespoons to add great flavor and texture.
Garlic: Garlic adds another layer of flavor that tastes delicious. Add in 1 clove, or about 1 teaspoon of minced garlic.
Cilantro: This is another key ingredient in homemade guacamole. It’s a quintessential Mexican flavor that’s super fresh and tasty.
How to make the best guacamole
This is one of the easiest guacamole recipes! To get started, follow these simple steps:
- Mash the avocados in a large bowl, then stir in lime juice. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap, then store in refrigerator until serving.
- Enjoy with fresh tortilla chips!
Quick tips for the best guacamole
- Add spice. If you like spice, try adding in some cumin, chili powder or even some chopped jalapenos.
- Keep from browning. Avocado pits keep the guacamole from browning. Simply add them on top of the guac, cover tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate. Then remove once ready to eat.
- Add cheese. Sometimes I add in about 1 Tablespoon of cotija or feta cheese. I tried this once at a restaurant and was a huge fan.
- Serve the first day. This homemade guacamole is best served the first day. I wouldn’t recommend making it the night before, as it could lose it’s freshness.
Ways to enjoy guac
More Mexican appetizers:
- Cowboy Caviar
- Slow Cooker Queso Blanco
- Cheesy Hot Corn Dip
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Easy Salsa Verde Recipe
Best Homemade Guacamole Recipe
- 3 avocados (peeled and diced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons salsa
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- dash of pepper
- In a large bowl, mash the avocado with a fork. Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and stir until combined. Add in salsa, red onion, garlic, cilantro, and seasonings.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Homemade guacamole is best served the first day.
- Enjoy with fresh tortilla chips!
- For spice, add in a little cumin, chili powder or chopped jalapenos.
- Sometimes I add 1 Tablespoon of cotija or feta cheese for extra flavor.
- Avocado pits will keep the guacamole from browning. Add them on top of the guac, then cover tightly with plastic wrap. Store in fridge until ready to eat.
- Want to serve with homemade tortilla chips? Try this recipe.