The best homemade guacamole recipe that takes just 10 minutes to make! Made with ripe avocados, lime juice, red onion, garlic, cilantro and a spoonful of salsa, this delicious Mexican appetizer is loaded with flavor in every bite.
The best guacamole you’ll ever try
Today I have one of the best homemade guacamole recipes for you! I think I’ve made this recipe at least 3 times this month. It is seriously so good and completely addicting. It has amazing flavor and the texture is creamy and chunky all at the same time. You are fair warned! ;)
The best part is, this recipe only takes about 10 minutes to make. It’s the perfect recipe to bring to a BBQ or enjoy as a mid day snack with some fresh chopped veggies. Serve with crisp tortilla chips or add it to your favorite Mexican dish like ground beef tacos or baked chicken taquitos. You can’t go wrong!
How to make the best guacamole
- Choose ripe avocados. Look for avocados that are soft to touch and have a green stem. They shouldn’t feel too soft, but soft enough that they have a little give when squeezed. Ripe avocados make all the difference when making homemade guacamole!
- Consistency. Use a fork or a potato masher to mash the avocados. You want to mash them well, but not ALL the way. Leaving a few lumps of avocado gives the guacamole the perfect consistency and flavor in each bite.
- Salsa. One of my secrets to the best guacamole is mixing in some fresh salsa. You only need a few spoonful’s to add great flavor and texture. Trust me, it’s an easy trick that will instantly ramp up the deliciousness.
- Taste and adjust. After the guacamole is mixed together, give it a taste. Add in more lime juice or spices depending on your preference. This is where you can make it your own!
Tips + variations
- Ripening avocados. If they still feel a little hard, place them in a brown paper bag and add a ripe banana or apple. Leave the bag on the counter overnight. The fruit gives off ethylene gas, which makes the avocados ripen more quickly.
- Cutting an avocado. Learn how to cut an avocado with these simple tips and tricks.
- Make it spicy. If you like spice, try adding in some cumin, chili powder or even some chopped jalapenos.
- Add cheese. Sometimes I add in about 1 Tablespoon of cotija or feta cheese. I tried this once at a restaurant and was a huge fan.
How to keep from turning brown
Believe it or not, avocado pits actually help keep the guacamole from browning. Just add the pit on top of the dip and then cover the bowl tightly with saran wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap is directly on top of the guacamole so that there isn’t any air coming in contact with it.
This should help slow down the oxidation process, which in turn will keep it from browning too quickly. Even if there is a brown layer that forms, you can just scrape it off and find a nice green layer right underneath.
Favorite ways to enjoy guacamole
More Mexican appetizers:
- Cowboy caviar
- Slow cooker queso blanco
- Cheesy hot corn dip
- Black bean and corn salsa
- Easy salsa verde recipe
Best Homemade Guacamole
For serving: tortilla chips
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the pit. Place the avocados in a large bowl.
- Squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and stir until combined. Add in salsa, red onion, garlic, cilantro, and seasonings. Mash with a fork until you reach desired consistency.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy with fresh tortilla chips!