Healthy overnight oats made 6 different ways! Simple, customizable and the perfect grab and go breakfast. You won’t get bored with these flavorful and delicious combinations!
To stay organized and on track throughout the week, I love to meal prep. It takes a little time, but is definitely a huge help…especially when things get busy. Overnight oats are one of my favorite breakfasts to meal prep, as well as mini egg frittatas and no-bake breakfast cookies.
Happy New Year! I can’t believe it’s already 2019 and we’re gearing up for another amazing year! Time sure does fly.
As soon as January approaches, I like to start the year off fresh by meal prepping and eating healthy. Although it’s fun to indulge during the holidays, I’m definitely ready to get back in a routine and whip up nutritious meals to enjoy throughout the week.
These overnight oats are one of my favorite healthy breakfasts to make for the week ahead. They are so simple, completely customizable and are the perfect grab and go breakfast. I love to add all sorts of delicious toppings, like fresh fruit, nut butters, honey, chocolate chips, coconut and granola. There are so many yummy flavor combinations for overnight oats…you definitely won’t get bored with this breakfast!
Type of oats to use
You can pretty much use any type of oats to make overnight oats. I like to use Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, however you can use quick oats or steel cut oats too. Just make sure to use raw, uncooked oats for this recipe.
How to make overnight oats
Start by making the base for the overnight oats, then let it chill in the fridge overnight. The next day, add all your favorite toppings and dig in!
- MIX. In a medium bowl, combine oats, milk, Greek yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. If desired, add in protein powder, chia seeds or a Tablespoon of nut butter, brown sugar, honey or fruit.
- POUR. Pour oat mixture into 4 jars and cover with a lid.
- CHILL. Place in fridge overnight.
Once the base has set in the fridge overnight, you can then add your favorite toppings. I sometimes even add a little more almond milk, depending on how much the oats have thickened up.
Below are 6 overnight oats combinations that I love:
- Peanut butter, banana and chocolate chips
- Greek yogurt, blueberries, sliced almonds, cinnamon and honey
- Fresh berries and yogurt with granola
- Apples, cinnamon, sugar and honey
- Brown sugar, cinnamon, pecans and maple syrup
- Mango, mandarin oranges and coconut
How long do overnight oats keep?
These easy overnight oats will stay fresh in your fridge for up to 1 week. For storing, I used these Pyrex containers in the photos, however mason jars work great too. As long as the oats are stored in an airtight container with a lid, they will be fine!
When storing, I typically only store the base mixture. Then right before eating, I’ll add in my toppings of choice. This helps the toppings to remain fresh and not get soggy.
Feel free to mix in some extras to your base mixture though, like protein powder, chia seeds, nut butter, brown sugar, honey or fruit. These will hold up just fine when mixed in with the oats and stored in the fridge. If the mixture has thickened up too much in the fridge, add in a little milk to thin it back out.
More healthy breakfast ideas:
Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 cups almond milk (sub: cows, cashew or coconut milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- Pinch of salt and cinnamon
- Optional: Add 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder and 2 teaspoons chia seeds, if desired
Optional mix in or toppings: Greek yogurt, brown sugar, fresh berries, bananas, peanut butter or almond butter, nuts, honey, chocolate chips, granola, coconut
- Mix together the oats, milk, Greek yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Add protein powder and/or chia seeds if desired. You can also mix in a Tablespoon of nut butter, brown sugar, honey and fruit here as well.
- Pour into 4 jars and cover with a lid. Place in the fridge overnight.
- The next morning, stir in more almond milk if desired. You can also warm in the microwave if you prefer. Sweeten to taste (I always add a teaspoon of honey). Then top with your favorite toppings. My favorites are greek yogurt, almond butter, fresh berries and sliced almonds. Then I like to drizzle honey across the top.