The perfect lemon bars …sweet, tart and chewy with a thick crust.
I made these lemon bars a few weeks ago and loved how they turned out! I have to admit… lemon bars are not usually the dessert I go for. I’m more of a chocolate girl. These lemon bars were absolutely perfect though and I’ve been craving them ever since. They have the perfect amount of lemon and the crust is nice and thick. This is definitely one of my new favorite recipes. I can’t wait to make them again! They are perfect for Spring (which I hope is coming soon)! ;)
Looking for more lemon recipes? You’ll love these too:
The perfect lemon bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 11/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Blend together the butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar in a medium sized bowl. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9×13 inch pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until firm.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1/4 cups flour. Next whisk in the eggs, lemon juice and lemon extract. Then pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from oven when firm and allow to cool. Do not allow the lemon to brown. It will firm up as the bars cool. Sprinkle with fresh powdered sugar and cut into bars.