Lemon brownies AKA lemon blondies are super soft and moist bars topped with the most delicious glaze. The perfect refreshing dessert that you’ll be making over and over again!
Table of Contents
Favorite Lemon Dessert
I have been loving ALL things lemon lately. There’s just something about citrus desserts that are so refreshing and delicious. And these lemon brownies did not disappoint!
They are moist and buttery, almost like sugar cookies, with just a hint of lemon. The powdered sugar glaze on top is tart and sweet, and makes a perfect compliment to the brownies without being overpowering.
I love how light they taste as well…not too rich or heavy. Trust me, they’ll be a hit!
How to Make Lemon Brownies
PREPARE. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment or foil and spray with nonstick spray.
MIX. Beat together the butter, sugar and zest with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. One at a time, mix in the eggs. Then add in the lemon juice. Mix in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
BAKE. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth out evenly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
The glaze takes these brownies over the top! It’s perfectly tart and sweet, with amazing lemon flavor. You could add a little more (or less) juice or zest depending on how much citrus flavor you’d like.
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest from half a lemon
Instructions: Whisk together the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour on top of the brownies and spread evenly to coat. Make sure the brownies have cooled completely before enjoying.
Quick Tips and Tricks
- Line your pan with parchment or foil for easy clean up.
- If you’re a big lemon lover like me, you can add more zest and juice to the batter and glaze. Learn how to zest a lemon the easy way.
- A few followers have had success substituting gluten free flour cup-for-cup for all purpose flour to make gluten free.
- Feel free to double the recipe and bake in a 9×13″ pan.
- You can easily freeze if desired. Just wrap in plastic wrap and then again with foil. To thaw, set out at room temperature.
More Lemon Desserts
Lemon Brownie Recipe
For the brownies:
- ½ cup salted butter , softened (1 stick)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon , zested
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the glaze:
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8×8" pan by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then add the lemon juice. Add the flour and baking powder, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, then pour over the brownies, spreading evenly to coat.
- Let cool completely before slicing. Then slice into 16 squares.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!