Glazed lemon cookies – soft baked sugar cookies topped with a fresh lemon glaze. The perfect light and sweet dessert for Spring & Summer. These are melt-in-your-mouth good!
There’s something about a sweet and fresh lemon cookie that makes it the perfect dessert for Spring and Summer. These glazed lemon cookies are sweetened to perfection and are bursting at the seams with lemon flavor. The freshly squeezed lemon juice adds just the right amount of tartness to nicely balance out the sweetness from the sugar cookie. And the lemon zest packs a punch of flavor and gives the cookie that great citrus taste. Believe me, you don’t want to skip out on making this lemon cookie recipe!
This glazed lemon cookie recipe comes from my sweet friend Shelly’s cookbook: The Cookies & Cups Cookbook. There are so many yummy desserts, party snacks and dinner ideas…this cookbook will become a fast favorite! When I saw these glazed lemon cookies (or “glazed lemmies” as she calls them), I knew they were first on my list to make. They are so light and fluffy and the lemon glaze really takes them over the top. These lemon cookies are definitely a new favorite in my house…we all LOVED them!
How To Make Glazed Lemon Cookies
These lemon cookies are simple to make and will have you feeling like a topnotch baker! Just follow the simple steps below. Enjoy!
1.) Mix together butter and sugar, then add egg yolks, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Slowly mix in flour until combined.
2.) Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
3.) Roll cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then press down with a cup. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly golden. Transfer cookies to cooling rack.
4.) To make the lemon icing for cookies, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium size bowl. Add a teaspoon of water at a time, until you reach a nice and smooth glaze. Drizzle on top of the cookies.
Love lemon desserts? Try these too:
- Lemon Bars
- Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes
- Zucchini Lemon Muffins
- Lemon Coconut Cream Dessert Lasagna
- Lemon Brownies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, at room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Lemon icing for cookies
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-3 tsp water
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Then slowly mix in flour. Mix just until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Roll the cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Then press down with a cup. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly golden. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- To make the lemon icing for cookies, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a medium size bowl. Add a teaspoon of water at a time, until you reach a nice and smooth glaze. Then drizzle or spoon on top of the cookies. Allow the glaze to set before serving. Enjoy!