These glazed lemon cookies are a soft baked sugar cookie topped with a fresh lemon glaze. The perfect light and sweet dessert for Spring & Summer. These are melt-in-your-mouth good!
As much as I love a plain sugar cookie, there just a little more special when you add the fresh lemon flavor.
These cookies make the perfect dessert for Spring and Summer. They are bursting at the seams with Spring flavors. The freshly squeezed lemon juice adds just the right amount of tartness to nicely balance out the sweetness from the sugar cookie.
Favorite Spring cookie
This recipe comes from my sweet friend Shelly’s cookbook: The Cookies & Cups Cookbook. There are so many yummy desserts, party snacks and dinner ideas…this cookbook will become a fast favorite! When I saw these “glazed lemmies” as she calls them, I knew they were first on my list to make. They are so light and fluffy and the powdered sugar icing really takes them over the top. They are definitely a new favorite in my house…we all LOVED them!
How To Make Glazed Lemon Cookies
These are simple to make and will have you feeling like a topnotch baker. Just follow the simple steps below.
- Mix the dough: Beat together butter and sugar, then add egg yolks, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Slowly mix in flour until combined.
- Refrigerate: Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out dough: Roll cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and then press down with a cup. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly golden. Transfer cookies to cooling rack.
- For the glaze: whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest in a medium size bowl. Add a teaspoon of water at a time, until you reach a nice and smooth glaze. Drizzle on top of the cookies.
- Omit the glaze for a little less sweeter cookie.
- Try omitting the glaze and mixing in white chocolate chips.
- Roll the cookies in powdered sugar before baking.
- Try substituting a different citrus such as orange juice and zest to mix up the flavor.
More lemon desserts to try:
- Lemon Bars
- Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes
- Zucchini Lemon Muffins
- Lemon Coconut Cream Dessert Lasagna
- Lemon Brownies
Lemon Cookie Recipe
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) salted butter, at room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
Lemon icing for cookies
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-3 tsp water
- Combine the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the egg yolks, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Then slowly mix in flour. Mix just until combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Roll the cookie dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Then press down with a cup. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the bottoms are lightly golden. Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.
- To make the lemon icing for cookies, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice in a medium size bowl. Add a teaspoon of water at a time, until you reach a nice and smooth glaze. Then drizzle or spoon on top of the cookies. Allow the glaze to set before serving. Enjoy!