A tried and true recipe that has been made hundreds of times! This super soft sugar cookie recipe works great with cookie cutters and bakes up nice and fluffy. Best served with buttercream frosting!
I’m excited to share this delicious sugar cookie recipe with you today! I’ve been using this recipe for several years, and these really are the best sugar cookies ever! They always come out super soft and fluffy…just the way they should be.
I’ve tried numerous ingredient combinations for sugar cookies and I have to say, these are the best! The 2 secret ingredients in this recipe are the sour cream and butter. Sour cream helps to make them super soft and moist, while the butter makes the outside edges crispy.
- Sour Cream
- Lemon or almond extract (whichever you prefer)
- Baking Agents: baking soda and baking powder
How to make sugar cookies
Scroll down for printable recipe and video tutorial.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a large bowl. Then add eggs, vanilla, lemon and sour cream and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking agents and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix.
- Split dough in two and place in plastic wrap. Chill for 1-2 hours.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll dough out on mat or parchment paper. If dough is still sticky, add another ¼ – ½ cup flour. Cut with floured cookie cutter.
- Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, until edges are slightly golden.
I love to top my sugar cookies with lots of frosting/icing and sprinkles! Buttercream frosting, cream cheese frosting and sugar cookie icing are my favorites, but honestly any type of frosting will taste delicious!
- Buttercream frosting: Combine butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl. Mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Cream cheese frosting: Combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl. Mix with electric mixer until smooth.
- Sugar cookie icing: Combine powdered sugar, light corn syrup, milk and vanilla extract (or almond extract) in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until smooth.
Optional: Feel free to mix in food coloring or sprinkles when making your frosting.
The trick to perfectly shaped sugar cookies
If you have trouble evenly shaping your sugar cookies, definitely try out this baking tip! I learned this from one of my friends and my sugar cookies are forever changed! :) Seriously I wish I would have learned this tip sooner. Now you’ll always have perfect shaped cookies when baking!
- Before rolling out your dough, separate into two sections and wrap dough in saran wrap dusted with powdered sugar.
- Roll out your dough on a baking mat or between two pieces of parchment paper (so you don’t have to peel up the shapes).
- Dust cookie cutter with powdered sugar or flour and cut out shapes. Slowly remove the excess dough.
- Carefully place mat on baking sheet, then bake.
These cookies will keep for about 3 weeks, if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. You can also store them in the freezer too. Just wrap with plastic wrap and place in a zip top bag. They may be a little harder since they aren’t fresh, but they will still taste delicious! Just be sure to freeze them the same day you bake them. :)
I also like to freeze half of the dough if I’m not baking for a large crowd. Just wrap the dough in plastic wrap and then stick in a freezer zip lock. The dough can be frozen for up to 6 months. If keeping the dough in the fridge, be sure to use within 2-3 days.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
For the sugar cookies:
- 1 cup butter (at room temp)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs (at room temp)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon or almond extract , whichever flavor you prefer
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional: I use 2 different frostings with these cookies. I’ll give you both of them, because they are both super yummy!
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 stick butter (softened)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the sugar cookies:
- In a large bowl, mix together butter and sugar. Beat until creamy. Add in eggs, vanilla, lemon extract and sour cream and mix together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Split dough in two and place in saran wrap. Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours.
- Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll out dough on a baker's mat or parchment paper. Add another 1/4 – 1/2 cup flour if dough is still sticky. Cut with floured cookie cutter.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until edges are slightly golden.
For the Frosting:
- For both the buttercream and cream cheese frostings, combine all listed ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Feel free to add in food coloring or sprinkles. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth and then frost on cooled cookies and serve. :)
Christmas sugar cookies
If you’re looking for the perfect recipe to make during the holidays, turn this recipe into a Christmas version! You can find all types of Christmas cookie cutters, such as Christmas trees, snowflakes, candy canes and more. I love to add different colored sugar cookie icing and sprinkles to make them extra festive. They are perfect to add to your Christmas cookie platter or to make for a cookie exchange!
Valentine’s Day cookies
I’ve made a variation of these for Valentine’s Day and they turned out amazing! Just use a heart-shaped cookie cutter and frost with pink, white or red frosting. Then top with fun Valentine’s Day sprinkles. Perfect sweet treat to make for your Valentine. :)
Easter sugar cookies
How cute are these Spring daisy sugar cookies that are perfect for Easter?! Just add some blue food coloring to your frosting and use green sparkle gel to make the stem and leaf. Then top with cadbury eggs to make the daisy petals. Feel free to add Easter colored sprinkles, too! So adorable and perfect to bring to your Easter lunch or dinner!