Neapolitan Cake with layers of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry buttercream frosting. A classic ice cream flavor turned into a delicious cake!
My favorite part about this cake is the Neapolitan colored sprinkles and HERSHEY’S KISSES on top! It turns an ordinary chocolate cake into something extraordinary! This cake would be perfect for your next celebration whether that’s for back to school, a birthday party or graduation. As Julia Child said “A party without cake is just a meeting.”
We made this cake for my husbands birthday last month, and decided to go with 3 flavors because we couldn’t decide on just one. Then the idea came to do the fun twist on our favorite Neapolitan flavors.
There’s just something about strawberry buttercream that makes me want to sing and dance all at the same time. The 3 frosting flavors compliment each other perfectly and add the perfect addition to any chocolate cake.
You could also do this with a white or yellow cake too. Hey, even a strawberry cake would be yummy! Now I’m thinking I need to try that next… because let’s be honest. Strawberry anything is my jam.
My girls had such a fun time helping me bake this cake for their Daddy and it was so fun seeing their eyes light up when their Dad saw the end results. My oldest daughter is my little baker and loves being in the kitchen with me. I love having this time to connect with her and I find it’s always when she opens up the most.
We always have so much fun together being silly in the kitchen and making memories.
Baking the Neapolitan Cake as a family is so fun!
I love making celebrations, such as Birthday’s special for my family because they only come once a year and it’s a great time to celebrate that person and show them how much we care about them.
We picked out 3 different sprinkles for the cake and I love that they came in different shapes and sizes. It gave a nice touch to the top of the cake. Sprinkles just make everything better in my opinion!
The real show stopper is the HERSHEY’S KISSES lined around the top. Don’t they look so pretty?! They of course make it extra yummy too!
Time for a giant slice with a cold glass of milk! YUM!
- 3 chocolate cake rounds using a box mix or your favorite recipe
- 4 sticks salted butter softened
- 8 to 10 cups powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons of cream or milk
- 1/2 cup strawberries chopped very fine
- 2 Tablespoons HERSHEY’S natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 30 HERSHEY’S KISSES Chocolate
- Bake your chocolate cake in a round pan according to your package directions and allow to cool. I like to place them in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before frosting.
- For the frosting, whip the butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Slowly add in 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined. Add the vanilla and 2 more cup of powdered sugar and continue mixing. At this point you may need to add a teaspoon or two of milk to thin the frosting down. Slowly add in your last 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until combined. Add more or less milk depending on the consistency. You want the frosting to be thick, creamy and to be able to hold a point.
- Divide the frosting into 3 bowls.
- For the strawberry buttercream, place 1/3 of the frosting back in the mixing bowl and mix in the strawberries. Add in an additional 1 cup of powdered sugar (more or less if needed) to thicken and mix until smooth.
- For the chocolate buttercream, add the cocoa powder to the bowl and stir. Add 12 HERSHEY’S KISSES to a microwavable bowl. Melt in the microwave for 1 minute at 50% power. Stir until melted. Cook an additional 20 seconds if needed. Then stir into the frosting and mix until smooth.
- To frost the cakes, place one layer of chocolate cake onto a cake stand or plate. Then add a think layer of the strawberry frosting to the center of the cake, reserving some of the edges. Then add the second layer of cake and frost with the plain buttercream frosting, reserving some for the edges. Then add the third layer of cake and frost the top with the chocolate frosting. I like to use a 1M frosting tip to fill in the gaps between each layer with frosting and to add some decorative flowers along the top edge. Next place The HERSHEY’S KISSES along the top edge of the cake and add sprinkles to the center of the cake.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.