Creamy, rich and irresistible! This chocolate buttercream frosting is everything a chocolate lover’s dreams are made of. Silky smooth, fluffy and the best chocolate touch!
This really is the best buttercream frosting! It’s so decadent and has the perfect balance of sugar and butter. I love to use it when making chocolate cupcakes, chocolate turtle poke cake, German chocolate cake and Neapolitan cake.
I don’t know about you, but I am ALL about the frosting. I’m going to be honest… I’m not a huge cake fan. But top it with lots of frosting and I’m golden. While I absolutely love my classic buttercream, I have to say that this chocolate frosting is a close second. It’s become one of my go-to recipes.
My daughter and I had a hard time resisting eating the whole bowl of this chocolate frosting. We each took a beater and licked it clean! I mean… how could you resist?!
How to make chocolate buttercream frosting
Follow the instructions below to get started and scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Whisk butter for 30 seconds in a large bowl. Then mix in 1 cup powdered sugar, cocoa, 1 Tablespoon half and half and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Next add another cup of powdered sugar and 1 more Tablespoon of half and half. Beat until smooth.
- Repeat until all 4 cups of powdered sugar have been added.
- Mix until chocolate frosting is smooth and creamy.
TIP: If you’re going to be placing the frosting in a bag, place the tip inside the coupler and then inside the bag. Then place inside a tall cup and fold over the top of the bag. Then simply scoop the frosting into the bag. Much easier (and cleaner)!
Does it need to be refrigerated?
If I’m using my frosting within the first 48 hours of making it, then I let it sit out at room temperature. If not, that’s when I’ll refrigerate it. And don’t worry, it won’t melt if sitting out at room temp! Just make sure the temperature inside your house isn’t too warm or humid.
Can you freeze chocolate buttercream?
Yes, you can freeze this chocolate frosting. I prefer to add it to a freezer bag and store in the freezer. Then when you’re ready to use it, just stick in the fridge overnight to thaw!
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened, 2 sticks butter)
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons half and half (more if needed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter for 30 seconds.
- Mix in 1 cup of powdered sugar, cocoa, 1 Tablespoon of half and half and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add another cup of powdered sugar along with 1 Tablespoon of half and half and beat until smooth.
- Repeat until all 4 cups of powdered sugar have been added. Mix until the the frosting is smooth and creamy.