Easy and delicious peanut butter and jelly muffins swirled with creamy peanut butter and strawberry jam. Perfect to pack for lunch or an after school snack. There’s no combination that’s better together than PB&J!
I can’t believe my kids are already back in school! It’s been a fun and crazy summer, especially since we moved across from the country from Ohio to Portland. The kids are so excited to be at their new school and make friends! They haven’t had a chance to make many new friends yet since we just moved, so this gives them the perfect opportunity. They’ve had to lean on each other a lot this summer and are best friends (of course they have their fighting moments too).
As soon as school starts, I like to make lots of yummy and easy snack recipes for lunch boxes or after school. These swirled PB&J muffins are absolutely delicious and are my kids’ favorite back to school snack. Not only are they really tasty, but my kids had so much fun making them together. We love the traditional PB&J, but these muffins are a fun variation and are the perfect grab and go snack. My littles loved helping me make these.
What I love about these muffins is that I already had all of the ingredients on hand! The simple muffin ingredients are pantry staples, so you could easily whip up the recipe on a whim (amounts included in printable recipe below).
- Creamy peanut butter
- Strawberry jam
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
How to make peanut butter and jelly muffins
- Wet ingredients. Whisk together the milk, peanut butter and sugar in a large bowl. Then whisk in the egg, oil and vanilla. Fold in the bananas and stir just until smooth.
- Dry ingredients. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the bowl. Mix just until combined.
- Scoop into pan. Using a medium cookie scoop (or 1 1/2 Tablespoons), fill the bottoms of the muffin pan. Then place a generous teaspoon of jam in the center of the muffin pan. Cover the jam with another scoop (1 1/2 Tablespoons).
- Swirl the PB&J. Then top the muffins with 1 teaspoon of jam and peanut butter. Gently swirl with a toothpick.
- Bake in oven. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean.
Ways to modify
- Mini muffins: Sometimes I’ll use a mini muffin pan (with 24 cups) to make this recipe and skip the extra jam and peanut butter on top.
- Bread: This recipe is easy to turn into bread as well. Just pour half of the batter into the bottom of the bread pan and top with strawberry jam. Cover the jam with the remaining batter and then top with 4 Tablespoons each of peanut butter and jam. Gently swirl with toothpick.
- Jam: I like to use the classic strawberry jam, but you could easily switch it up if you’d prefer. Try using blackberry, grape or raspberry jam instead.
More delicious muffin recipes:
- Breakfast muffins
- Banana bread muffins
- Blueberry muffins
- Apricot yogurt muffins
- Banana nutella muffins
Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (1 banana)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, peanut butter and sugar in a large bowl. Then whisk in the egg, oil and vanilla.
- Fold in the bananas and stir just until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the bowl. Mix just until combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (or 1 1/2 Tablespoons), fill the bottoms of the muffin pan with the batter. Then place a generous teaspoon of jam in the center of the muffin pan. Cover the jam with another scoop of batter (1 1/2 Tablespoons).
- Then top the muffins with 1 teaspoon of jam and peanut butter. Gently swirl with a toothpick.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!