One pot chicken parmesan pasta is a true comfort meal composed of delicious Italian flavors including seasoned chicken, pasta, sauce, and lots of cheese! It’s all the best parts of a classic chicken parm made into a 30-minute one-pan meal!
One Pot Italian-Style Meal
This one pot chicken parmesan pasta recipe takes all of the amazing components and flavors of traditional baked chicken parmesan and turns it into a delicious bowl of saucy, cheesy, pasta. The kicker is, you don’t even need to know how to cook pasta because, with this dish, it cooks right in the marinara sauce!
This amazing creamy chicken parmesan pasta is made with chunks of juicy chicken seasoned with Italian seasoning, rigatoni smothered in a sauce, and covered in gooey cheese. If you love chicken with pasta and creamy goodness, this Alfredo lasagna is a family favorite!
It’s a snap to make in 30 minutes, and it’s a comfort meal just like my chicken fettuccini alfredo recipe that will have everyone running to the table for dinner tonight. Ony easier is this parmesan crusted chicken recipe ready in 20 minutes!
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta Ingredients
The pasta cooks in the pot with the sauce making this one pot chicken parmesan pasta recipe easy comfort food!
- Chicken: I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts but you could use thighs.
- Onion and garlic: Adds aromatic taste to this chicken parm pasta.
- Tomato sauce: Use your favorite brand or make homemade marinara sauce for an extra special touch.
- Seasonings: Italian seasoning, salt and pepper for taste.
- Cheese: Shredded mozzarella and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- If you’ve got any leftover chicken breast this is a great way to save some time.
- Some people do love the crispy coating that bread crumbs give to the chicken, so by all means use breaded chicken if you prefer.
- Add some red pepper flakes to the tomato sauce for some heat.
- Mix up the cheeses and use only mozzarella or Parmesan. Try asiago or use a combination of whatever cheese you have on hand.
- You could also try chicken sausage or even go meatless and add beans if you wanted.
How to Make One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta Recipe
- Brown chicken: Add your bite sized chicken pieces in an even layer to a large skillet or dutch oven pot over medium-high heat. Season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook for 3-4 minutes, flip and cook an additional 2 minutes or until cooked through. Remove and set aside to keep warm.
- Sauté aromatics: Add more oil to the same pan and add diced onion. Cook about 2 minutes and then add in the garlic. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add pasta and sauce: Pour marinara and water into the pan, add the pasta, stir and cover to cook for about 12 minutes, stirring a couple of times throughout.
- Combine and serve: Add the chicken back into the pan, stir in the parmesan, and toss in about 1/3 cup of the mozzarella, stir to combine then top with remaining mozzarella cheese and place the lid on to cook for an additional 2 minutes so that the cheese melts. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley and enjoy!
- You can also create a shortcut by using any leftover cooked pasta!
- To get your cheese golden brown, place it under the broiler for a minute. It’s an easy trick that makes a big difference in flavor and texture!
- If you don’t have any fresh garlic and onion you can substitute for onion powder and garlic powder. Try and use fresh if you can!
- If you don’t have rigatoni pasta in your pantry, try penne instead.
A medium sized pasta pot, a deep skillet or even your Dutch oven will work in this recipe.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs could be used instead of breasts. Cut them into small pieces and proceed with recipe.
Despite classic chicken parm being breaded, there are no bread crumbs used in this recipe, so it all comes down to using gluten-free pasta, which is an easy swap!
Not a thing! Parmigiana is the Italian word for parmesan. So, on days when you’re feeling fancy or you want to get technical, call it chicken parmigiana!
How to Serve
This dish is filling, hearty, and so tasty. I can’t help but rank it as one of the best one-pot meals that is easy enough for a weeknight meal but fancy enough for guests! It’s complete with pasta, chicken, and a lot of cheese, but it’s always nice to have some sides.
- What better to go alongside an Italian-inspired meal than garlic bread and a simple chopped salad.
- Jazz up your garlic bread with this stuffed cheesy garlic bread my kids go crazy for. Homemade breadsticks are also always a great idea!
- You could also serve with side veggies such as grilled veggies, oven-roasted veggies, or steamed veggies.
Store leftover chicken parmesan pasta in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Freeze leftovers in a freezer safe container up to 2 months. Thaw and reheat. Texture of pasta may change.
More One Pot Pasta Dishes:
- Instant Pot Baked Ziti
- One Pot Chicken Caprese Pasta
- Crockpot Lasagna
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta
More Easy Pasta RecipesBrowse all
One Pot Chicken Parmesan Pasta
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts , diced into bite sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt , more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper , more to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic , minced
- 10 ounces rigatoni
- 32 ounces marinara sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese , more if desired
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
For serving: Chopped parsley or basil
- Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven pot. Heat over medium high heat. Then add the chicken in an even layer. Sprinkle the salt, pepper and Italian seasoning over top. After 3-4 minutes, flip the chicken and cook an additional 2 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken and set on a plate. Cover and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pot if needed and then add in the onion. Cook about 2 minutes and then add in the garlic. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Pour the marinara and water into the pot. Bring to a light boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Add in the pasta. Stir and then cover with a lid and cook for about 12 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through. Stir once or twice.
- Add the chicken back into the pot. Stir in the parmesan cheese and 1/3 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally, add the remainder of the mozzarella cheese on top. Place the lid on and cook an additional 2 minutes over low, or until the cheese is melted. You could also put under the broiler for a minute if desired. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or basil, if desired. Serve while warm.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!