All of the flavors of pepperoni pizza and traditional lasagna combined into one delicious creation. These pepperoni lasagna roll ups are easy to make, ready in 30 minutes and will be a hit with your family!
Kid-Friendly Pepperoni Lasagna Rolls
I’ve got a super easy, very tasty, and a little nontraditional meal for you today: pepperoni pizza lasagna roll ups! Two of our favorite things to eat are pizza and anything pasta, so when you throw the two together you just can’t go wrong. They are a fun spin on traditional lasagna roll-ups and use pepperoni slices in place of ground beef to give it that beloved pizza taste.
All you have to do is boil a package of lasagna noodles and have a jar of pasta sauce, shredded mozzarella and a few pepperoni slices handy. Then just roll, assemble and bake. See, it really is easy! And sure to be enjoyed by the whole family.
You’ll love just how easy and quick this recipe is. It’s the perfect meal to get the kids involved with too…they are great at spreading, sprinkling, and rolling with a little guidance. Serve it with a chopped salad and some garlic bread for the best Italian style dinner!
Assembling the Lasagna Rolls
Before you begin assembling the pepperoni lasagna rolls, make sure to cook the pasta according to the package directions. I like to cook my lasagna noodles al dente (firm to the bite) because they will continue to get more tender as they bake in the oven.
- Start by spreading a thin layer of pasta sauce on the bottom of the pan. It doesn’t need to be a lot – just pour enough so that the noodles don’t stick to the bottom.
- Next lay the cooked lasagna noodles out on a cutting board (or a cleaned surface) and then spread on a few spoonful’s of pasta sauce, a sprinkle of mozzarella and the sliced pepperoni.
- Starting at one end of the noodle, roll it up tightly until you reach the other end. Then place the rolled noodle seam side down on the baking dish so that it keeps its shape.
- When all of the noodles are rolled, spoon the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Then bake in the oven until the cheese has melted and is bubbly and golden.
This meal is easy to customize! Feel free to use gluten-free noodles or turkey pepperoni if preferred. Swap jarred spaghetti sauce for homemade marinara for a more authentic flavor, or use a creamy ricotta cheese filling in place of mozzarella. A dash of Italian seasoning, garlic powder or fresh herbs never hurt anyone!
Tips for Perfect Pepperoni Lasagna Roll Ups
- I like to cook a few extra noodles in case one cracks while boiling. I also cook them al dente (a few minutes less than the package directions) because they will continue cooking in the oven.
- Roll them up tightly and place seam side down so that the rolls keep their shape. Also make sure you don’t overfill them, or else they’ll come apart more easily in the pan.
- You can be generous with the amount of sauce used on top. The noodles soak up some of the sauce while they cook, so making them a little more saucy will prevent them from drying out.
- Broil for the last minute of baking, so that the top cheesy layers gets nice and bubbly golden.
Make-Ahead + Freezing
This is one of those meals that’s easy to assemble in advance and also makes a great freezer meal. It’s great for planning ahead or when you need to bring dinner to another family.
- Preparing in advance: Cook the noodles and assemble the rolls as directed. Cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking.
- Freezer instructions: Assemble as directed and place in a freezer container. Do not bake. Cover tightly with foil and store in the freezer. If baking from frozen, cook the lasagna rolls in the oven for about an hour. For a quicker alternative, thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake for 20-25 minutes according to directions.
More Easy Italian Dishes:
- Cheesy Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Sheet Pan Pizza
- Crockpot Lasagna
- Easy Pizza Pinwheels
- Baked Beef Ravioli
Pepperoni Lasagna Roll Ups
- 24 oz jar pasta sauce
- 12 lasagna noodles (cooked according to the package directions)
- 48 pepperoni slices
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375°F and spread a small amount of pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9×13" baking dish.
- Lay all of your lasagna noodles out on your cutting board or counter top. Spread around 2 Tablespoons of sauce on each noodle, all over one side. Repeat with the other noodles. Sprinkle half the cheese on top of the sauce. Place four pepperonis on each noodle, on top of the cheese.
- Starting at one end of the noodle, roll it up like a cinnamon roll or jelly roll. Place the rolled noodle in the baking dish with the end of the noodle on the bottom so they don’t flap open. Repeat with remaining noodles. Once all of the noodles are rolled up, use the rest of the sauce to cover the noodles and then top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until everything is hot and bubbly and the cheese is melted. Let the dish cool for 3-5 minutes before serving hot.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe contributed by Melissa from Bless This Mess for I Heart Naptime.