Easy baked chicken parmesan topped with fresh mozzarella and basil. A quick and easy meal your whole family will love!
One of my husbands all time favorite meals is chicken parmesan. He always orders it if we’re eating out at an Italian restaurant. I’ve made quite a few different versions at home and like my baked chicken parmesan best. It’s healthier than frying it in butter and is also way easier to throw together. You could of course always make your own homemade bread crumbs for a unique flavor, but I usually just buy some from the store. You can also sprinkle on some grated mozzarella instead of using slices if you’re looking to cut down on calories. I however love the cheese just oozing off the sides! YUM!
Looking for more pasta dishes? You’ll love these too:
Easy baked chicken parmesan
- 3 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 eggs , whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Panko or Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarella , sliced about 1/8 inch thick
For serving: freshly chopped basil and cooked spaghetti noodles
- Pre-heat oven to 415°. Spray a baking sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut chicken in half horizontally to create 6 fillets. Place chicken in a zip top bag and flatten chicken with a meat tenderizer or rolling pin to about 1/4" thick.
- Place egg in a bowl and whisk together with salt and pepper. Place bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and garlic powder in a separate bowl. Dip chicken in the egg and then place in the bread crumbs and cover the chicken.
- Next place chicken in the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the middle. Flip the chicken half way through.
- Remove chicken from oven and spoon about 1/4 cup sauce on top of the chicken and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Broil the last minute if desired.
- Top with fresh basil or oregano. Serve with angel hair pasta or spaghetti if desired. Enjoy!