Cheesy and delicious chorizo queso dip that’s loaded with flavor! The perfect appetizer for any party that can easily be made ahead of time.
This recipe is similar to Velveeta queso, but is definitely kicked up a notch! The chorizo adds so much flavor and makes this dip completely irresistible. It does require a little bit more work than the standard Velveeta version, but I promise it will be worth it!
Let me just start out by saying, I am a HUGE fan of dips! Whenever we got out to eat, I always tell my husband I just want all the dips for dinner. The appetizers are always calling my name. Chips and salsa with a side of queso is usually our go-to!
The queso recipe was inspired by one of The Pioneer Women’s queso dips that she shared awhile back. Her original recipe is much larger and calls for a bit more chiles, so I decided to make my own version that isn’t quite as large. Don’t get me wrong, it still makes a big batch and is perfect for a crowd. So easy and absolutely delicious!
How to make chorizo dip
Scroll down for the printable recipe below.
- Cook the chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat. While it cooks, char the jalapeno over a flame on the stove or in the broiler. Then place it in a plastic baggie and let sweat for 10 minutes. Once it cools, finely dice the pepper.
- Drain off any fat from the cooked chorizo, then add onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Next add the Rotel and diced jalapeno and cook for 3-5 more minutes. Turn heat to medium low.
- Add in Velveeta, allowing to slightly melt. Slowly add in evaporated milk and pepper jack cheese. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and a few jalapeno slices. Serve and enjoy!
Making ahead + keeping warm
The best part about this chorizo dip is that it can be made ahead of time and kept warm in a mini crock pot. I like to cook everything in the skillet and then transfer to my crock pot and set it to warm until ready to serve. That way it stays nice and hot! Nothing worse than cold queso ;)
- I roasted one jalapeno to kick up the heat a little bit, but feel free to add more or less to your taste. I love adding the roasted jalapeno so that the flavor really comes out.
- You can blend the Rotel before adding it to the dip if you’d prefer smaller tomato pieces.
- Serve with homemade tortilla chips for the ultimate chip and dip appetizer.
- Transfer any leftovers to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stove before enjoying.
More delicious cheese dip recipes:
Chorizo Queso Dip Recipe
- 6 ounces chorizo (crumbled)
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 onion (diced fine)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 ounce can Rotel , mild or regular if you like spicy
- 16 ounce package Velveeta (cubed)
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 5 ounces pepper jack cheese (shredded)
Optional: Fresh cilantro
Tortilla chips for serving
- Cook the chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat. While the chorizo is cooking, char the jalapeno over the flame of your stove top or in the broiler. Then place in zip top bag to sweat for 10 minutes. Dice finely once cooled.
- Once the chorizo is cooked, drain off any fat and then add in the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Next add in the Rotel (pulse a couple times in a blender if you don't want large chunks) and diced jalapeno. Cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Turn to medium low and add in the Velveeta cheese. Allow to slightly melt. Then slowly add the evaporated milk and pepper jack cheese. Cook until heated through, stirring constantly. Serve immediately from the pan or transfer to a mini crock pot and set to warm until ready to serve. Stir before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Hope you enjoy this queso dip with chorizo! It’s one of our new favorite dips!