Queso dip with chorizo -so cheesy and full of flavor! The perfect appetizer for any party or game day!
Let me just start out by saying I am a HUGE fan of dips! Whenever we got out to eat, I always tell my husband I just want all the dips for dinner. The appetizers are always calling my name. Chips and salsa with a side of queso is usually are go to! I always love making queso at home for movie night or game nights as well. This is a great recipe for the Super Bowl coming up or any game day really. Everyone loves this dip! The best part about it, is it can be made ahead of time and kept warm in a mini crock pot.
This queso dip with chorizo is similar to the velveeta queso I shared last year, but definitely kicked up a notch with more loads more flavor! The chorizo adds so much flavor and makes this dip completely irresistible. It can be spicy, but I like to buy the mild version. This dip does require a little bit more work, but I promise it will be worth it!
This recipe was inspired by The Pioneer Women’s new queso dip she shared on one of her episodes a few months back. Her original recipe is much larger and calls for quite a bit more chiles, so I decided to make my own version that isn’t quite as large. Don’t get me wrong, it still feeds a lot and is perfect for a crowd!
I roasted one jalepeno to kick up the heat a little bit in this dip, but feel free to add more or less to your taste. I love adding the roasted jalepeno so that the flavor really comes out.
Queso dip recipe
Queso dip with chorizo
- 6 ounces chorizo crumbled
- 1 jalepeno
- 1/2 onion diced fine
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 10-ounce can Rotel, mild or regular if you like spicy
- 16 ounce package Velveeta cubed
- 5 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- Optional: Fresh cilantro chopped
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Cook the chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat. While the chorizo is cooking char the jalepeno over the flame of your stove top or in the broiler. Then place in zip top bag to sweat for 10 minutes. Dice finely once cooled.
- Once the chorizo is cooked, drain off any fat and then add in the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Next add in the rotel (pulse a couple times in a blender if you don't want large chunks) and diced jalepeno. Cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Turn to medium- low and dd in the Velveeta cheese. Allow to slightly melt. Then slowly add the evaporated milk and pepper jack cheese. Cook until heated through, stirring constantly. Serve immediately from the pan or transfer to a mini crock pot and set to warm until ready to serve. Stir before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
This also make a great slow cooker queso. I like to cooke everything in the skillet and then transfer to my mini crock pot and set it to warm until ready to serve. That way it stays nice and hot! Nothing worse than cold queso ;)
Hope you enjoy! It’s one of our new favorite dips!
Looking for more queso recipes? You’ll love these too: