Queso Dip with Chorizo – So cheesy and full of flavor! The perfect appetizer for any party or game day!
Let me just start out by saying, I am a HUGE fan of dips! Whenever we got out to eat, I always tell my husband I just want all the dips for dinner. The appetizers are always calling my name. Chips and salsa with a side of queso is usually our go-to!
Homemade queso dip
This queso dip with chorizo is similar to velveeta queso, but is definitely kicked up a notch! The chorizo adds so much flavor and makes this dip completely irresistible. It does require a little bit more work than the standard velveeta queso, but I promise it will be worth it! If you like heat, you can make this more of a spicy queso dip, but I like to make the mild version.
The queso recipe was inspired by one of The Pioneer Women’s queso dips that she shared awhile back. Her original recipe is much larger and calls for a bit more chiles, so I decided to make my own version that isn’t quite as large. Don’t get me wrong, it still makes a big batch and is perfect for a crowd!
This is a great recipe for the Super Bowl coming up or any game day really. Everyone loves this queso dip and always asks for the recipe! The best part about it is that it can be made ahead of time and kept warm in a mini crock pot. So easy and absolutely delicious!
What are the ingredients in queso dip?
The ingredients in this queso dip are so simple! Check them out below. I roasted one jalapeno to kick up the heat a little bit, but feel free to add more or less to your taste. I love adding the roasted jalapeno so that the flavor really comes out.
- Evaporated milk
- Pepper jack cheese
How to make queso dip
Scroll down for the printable queso dip recipe.
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat. Char jalapeno over flame of stove or in the broiler, then place in zip top bag. Allow to sweat for 10 minutes, then finely dice once cooled.
- Drain off any fat from cooked chorizo, then add onion and garlic to pan. Cook for 3 minutes. Next add rotel and jalapeno and cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Turn heat to medium low and add in Velveeta, allowing to slightly melt. Slowly add in evaporated milk and pepper jack. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve!
Queso dip crock pot
This queso dip also makes a great slow cooker queso! I like to cook everything in the skillet and then transfer to my mini crock pot and set it to warm until ready to serve. That way it stays nice and hot! Nothing worse than cold queso ;)
Queso Dip Recipe
- 6 ounces chorizo (crumbled)
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 onion (diced fine)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 10 ounce can Rotel , mild or regular if you like spicy
- 16 ounce package Velveeta (cubed)
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 5 ounces pepper jack cheese (shredded)
Optional: Fresh cilantro
Tortilla chips for serving
- Cook the chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat. While the chorizo is cooking, char the jalapeno over the flame of your stove top or in the broiler. Then place in zip top bag to sweat for 10 minutes. Dice finely once cooled.
- Once the chorizo is cooked, drain off any fat and then add in the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Next add in the rotel (pulse a couple times in a blender if you don't want large chunks) and diced jalapeno. Cook for 3-5 more minutes.
- Turn to medium low and add in the Velveeta cheese. Allow to slightly melt. Then slowly add the evaporated milk and pepper jack cheese. Cook until heated through, stirring constantly. Serve immediately from the pan or transfer to a mini crock pot and set to warm until ready to serve. Stir before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave before serving.
Hope you enjoy this queso dip with chorizo! It’s one of our new favorite dips!