This EASY 2-ingredient Velveeta queso recipe is the perfect last-minute dip that’s easily made in the microwave or crockpot. It’s great for a crowd and tastes super creamy and delicious.
Table of Contents
Easy Velveeta Queso
I’m no stranger to Mexican appetizers, especially chips and dip. Two of my favorite dips are salsa and queso, and this Velveeta queso tastes like a combination of both. It’s made with Velveeta cheese and diced tomatoes and tastes amazing served with fresh tortilla chips.
This is one of those recipes that is nice to have in your back pocket along with my sausage rotel dip. All you need are 2 simple ingredients. It’s super creamy and yummy! Perfect for when you need a super last-minute EASY appetizer (or late-night snack).
This recipe is easy to cut in half and easy to double for a crowd. It’s perfect for game day or to add to a nacho bar when hosting a dinner party. We love serving it with my 7-layer dip or jalapeno dip.
Another thing that makes it great is that it can be made in either the microwave or slow cooker – two of the easiest cooking methods out there, in my opinion! So simple and delicious.
2 Simple Ingredients
These two ingredients are so simple and are pantry staples to always have on hand! When you need a quick appetizer or dip, this is your go-to queso. It is so simple to make with all the flavors combined!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Velveeta cheese: This is a smooth and creamy cheese that you can find in a large block or brick at your local grocery store. It is also known as liquid gold!
- RO*TEL: Grab a can of diced tomatoes and green chilies to make this simple Velveeta cheese queso dip!
How to make Queso with Velveeta
Make this Velveeta queso two ways! Choose the quicker way with a microwave or if you are throwing a party the slow cooker way is best. Each way is a great option!
- Microwave method: Place Velveeta cubes and diced tomatoes in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 3 minutes, then stir and cook an additional 1-2 minutes until smooth. Transfer to a crockpot and keep on a warm setting until ready to serve.
- Crockpot method: Place Velveeta cubes and diced tomatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cook on low for 1-2 hours, or until the dip is smooth. Turn to keep warm setting until ready to serve.
5 star review
“This is my husband’s go to snack choice. He loves it and makes it often. Definitely a winner in our house!”-Meagen
Tips + Variations
Take this two-ingredient dip to the next level with extra ingredients and variations to try. It is so simple and already comes with all the flavor but make it even better with your creation!
- Add meat: Cook up 1/2 pound of hot breakfast sausage until brown and then add into the queso as I did in this sausage cream cheese Rotel dip.
- Extra spicy: Add in 1 chopped jalapeno for extra spice.
- Vegetables: Dice 1 red bell pepper and 1/2 an onion. Saute in 1 Tablespoon oil and add in once they are cooked and tender.
- Can of tomatoes: Use the mild RO*TEL if you don’t like much spice.
- Not a fan of tomatoes: Use half the can of tomatoes if you don’t prefer tomatoes.
- Great for a party: Move to a slow cooker and keep on warm until ready to serve. Make sure to give it a good stir before serving. Serve with chips and this pretzel bites recipe!
- Make it creamy: Add a little heavy cream if you want to thin it out.
- Velveeta options: Use the Velveeta queso blanco for a variation.
For a quick way to warm up Velveeta, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 5 minutes or just until the cheese is about to melt. Stir the cheese and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds at a time until smooth and creamy.
To help slow down the pace at which the Velveeta cheese hardens, add evaporated milk to aid in this, or use a slow cooker that will keep it warm or on low while serving.
Velveeta is a mild and creamy cheese that is made from real milk. It technically is not “real cheese” according to the FDA. They say it is more of a cheese spread.
Do you love quick and easy appetizers full of flavor?! Here are more of my favorite snacks to go along with this cheese dip. Try these grape jelly meatballs, pigs in a blanket, or jalapeno poppers are always favorites!
More Easy Cheese Dip Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Velveeta Queso Recipe
- 16 ounce package Velveeta
- 10 ounce can RO*TEL
- Cube Velveeta into a microwavable bowl. Add in the can of RO*TEL. Microwave for 3 minutes. Stir and then cook 1-2 more minutes or until smooth. Alternatively place in a slow cooker and cook on low for 1-2 hours or until smooth.
- Add in optional mix in's if desired.
- Store in slow cooker on the warm setting until ready to serve.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Loved how easy and simple this was to make. It was so delicious. Going to make this for nacho night next.
This queso is so addicting!! I could eat way more than I should!! We make it all the time & it’s so easy to whip up!
This may be the creamiest, cheesiest dip I have ever made. My guests loved it!
Thank Abeer! Glad your guests enjoyed the velveeta queso!
Love this velveeta queso recipe! can u serve this at room temp?
I wouldn’t, it will firm up. Best served warm :)
Love this velveeta queso recipe! So easy!
Great dip for game day!
Wow! This cheese dip is so easy and so dang delicious! What a great snack recipe!
This is my husband’s go to snack choice. He loves it and makes it often. Definitely a winner in our house!
I’m so glad to hear! :)