This easy slow cooker party dip is an easy appetizer made with just 5 ingredients, including Velveeta, Rotel, and chunks of juicy sausage. It’s a sausage cream cheese Rotel dip that everyone will rave about!
Table of Contents
Meaty, Cheesy, and Super Easy!
This sausage cream cheese dip is so simple and humble despite how incredibly delicious it is! I mean, they don’t call it ugly dip for nothing. It’s similar to Velveeta queso in that it’s made with Velveeta and Rotel, but this dip includes a few extra ingredients for added flavor and creaminess.
Rotel sausage cheese dip is one of the easiest crockpot appetizers to make. With 10 minutes of prep time, the rest is hands-off, and then it stays warm until you’re ready to serve it! Easy entertaining is made even easier when guests can serve themselves.
I make it for all sorts of gatherings. Game day parties, holiday parties, potlucks, movie nights, you name it. There is never a wrong time for a great party dip, especially one that is as effortless as this one!
Why This Recipe Works
- An all-around dip. Cheese sausage dip is a casual dip that makes its mark at almost any gathering for almost any occasion. From a super bowl party to an easy appetizer for the holidays.
- Addictive. It’s the kind of dip that draws in a crowd who will either ask you for the recipe or ask you to make it again next time.
- Budget-friendly. None of the 5 ingredients in this dip is fancy schmancy. Not only that, but some of them are even customizable to what you may already have on hand. No need to blow your party budget!
This sausage and cheese dip is a great appetizer recipe to have in your back pocket because you only need 5 simple ingredients! A few of which are pantry staples that I usually always have on hand. Check them out below.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Sausage: Use either breakfast sausage or Italian sausage. Use mild sausage unless you like a little extra heat. Then go for the spicy Italian sausage. Jimmy Dean hot sausage is great too!
- Onion: It may seem obvious, but knowing how to cut an onion quickly and easily can save you a lot of tears!
- Velveeta: This is a processed cheese known for its velvety smooth melting properties. It’s what makes the sausage cream cheese Rotel dip orange!
- Cream cheese: No need to bring it to room temperature ahead of time. It will melt as it cooks adding to the tanginess and the creaminess of this dip.
- Rotel: If you’re unfamiliar with what Rotel tomatoes are, a can of them consists of a combination of these tomatoes with green chilies and seasonings. It comes in original or spicy, so use what you prefer.
- Use ground beef instead of sausage. Be sure to drain the excess grease before adding it to the sausage Rotel dip.
- Omit the cream cheese altogether. It adds a ton of creaminess and a bit of tang, but if you don’t have any, you don’t need to run to the store to get it. Just add more Velveeta.
- Cheddar cheese is an option to use if you don’t like, or don’t have any Velveeta.
- Chili powder, cayenne, and smoked paprika are additional spice options. Taco seasoning is great too. Extra flavor with a kick!
- Swap the Rotel for spicy salsa. It tastes different but still yum!
- Add in up to 1/4-1/2 cup evaporated milk for a thinner dip. This is great for when you want to pour it over nachos!
- Add in chopped bell peppers or jalapenos for a little kick. To ramp up the heat, you can also choose to use spicy Rotel and spicy sausage.
- Top with chopped cilantro, if desired. It’ll add a nice pop of color while cutting through the heaviness of the dip.
How to Make Sausage Cream Cheese Dip
Only 10 minutes of prep time and then the slow cooker does the rest of the work for you. The hardest part about making this Rotel sausage cheese dip is waiting for it to cook before you can dig in!
- Brown the meat and cook the onions. In a medium skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat. If you plan on doubling this recipe, grab yourself a large skillet. Use a wooden spoon to crumble the meat and cook on the stovetop until no longer pink. Remove it from the heat and drain any excess grease.
- Combine all ingredients. Add the sausage and onions to the crock pot. Top with Velveeta, cream cheese, and Rotel.
- Cook low and slow. Cover with the lid and then cook on low heat for 2 hours until everything has melted.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately while hot or keep it on the warm function until you’re ready to serve. Stir the sausage cream cheese Rotel dip just before serving.
Instead of draining the meat into a colander or trying to tip it just enough so that the grease drains while you hope none of the meat falls out, try this instead:
Use absorbent paper towels to soak up the grease. That way you’re not tipping any pans and not creating more dirty dishes for yourself.
You can make this a stovetop dip by melting everything in the skillet over low heat. In this case, I would start with a large skillet.
The dairy in this dip won’t keep for too long outside of the fridge. If you’re keeping it on the warm function, it will last a little longer, but do not keep it out much longer than 2 hours at room temperature.
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, a skillet, or the slow cooker. It just depends on how much you have left.
You can cook the meat and onions ahead of time and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to add them to the slow cooker.
More Easy Appetizer IdeasBrowse all
Sausage Cream Cheese Rotel Dip
- ½ pound breakfast sausage , or Italian sausage
- ½ cup chopped onion , optional
- 1 (8-ounce) package Velveeta , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) can RO*TEL
For serving: Tortilla chips, Crackers, Vegetables
- In a medium skillet, cook the sausage and onions, if using, over medium heat. Break up with a wooden spoon and cook until browned. Remove from heat and drain any grease.
- Add the sausage mixture to a slow cooker. Top with Velveeta, cream cheese and RO*TEL. Set to low heat and cook 2 hours, or until melted. Alternatively, heat all ingredients in a skillet over low heat until melted.
- Serve hot or set slow cooker to warm until ready to serve. Stir just before serving.
- You can omit the cream cheese and use more Velveeta.
- Add in up to 1/4-1/2 cup evaporated milk for a thinner dip.
- Add in chopped bell peppers or jalapenos for a little kick.
- Add in a teaspoon of taco seasoning or chili powder to amp up the flavor.
- Top with chopped cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!