Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce – Made with fresh ingredients from the garden! Roasted in the oven, then blended together to create a super flavorful and delicious tomato sauce.
We love Italian food at our house and make this roasted tomato sauce quite often. It’s healthy, flavorful and tastes great over noodles. Some of our other favorites are creamy crockpot Italian chicken, baked beef ravioli , garlic french bread pizza and chicken marsala.
Homemade tomato sauce
One of my favorite things to make when my garden starts to bloom is roasted garlic tomato sauce. My kids gather up the tomatoes and basil and then they love to help me in the kitchen.
This tomato sauce recipe is pretty easy to make and tastes so fresh and delicious. The roasted garlic adds the perfect touch! If you aren’t crazy about garlic, only add a couple of cloves.
We like to serve this roasted tomato sauce over spaghetti noodles (which my kids request almost daily). When we did the Whole30, we served it over zoodles (zucchini noodles) and it was pretty tasty that way too! So delicious!
Fresh or canned tomatoes?
Whenever I make my homemade tomato sauce, I love to use fresh tomatoes from my garden or a local farmer’s market. They are so flavorful and have such a bright taste. Plus they’re perfect for roasting and result in a sweet, yet caramelized flavor. Absolutely delicious and great for making tomato sauce.
How to make tomato sauce
Preheat oven. To get started, preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with foil.
Wrap the garlic in foil. Slice off the top of the head of garlic (photo above) and then wrap in foil. Place on the baking sheet.
Gather your tomatoes. Quarter the tomatoes, then place on baking sheet. Add fresh basil on top of tomatoes, then drizzle with olive oil. Then sprinkle on salt and pepper (photo below).
Roast the tomatoes. Roast tomatoes in oven for 45 minutes, or until skins begin to shrivel. Allow to cool slightly.
Blend. Pour tomatoes and basil into a blender. Then remove the foil from the garlic and squeeze out the cloves into the blender. Pulse until desired consistency is met. Taste and add more basil, salt or pepper if needed.
Serve! Serve over cooked pasta or zucchini noodles if preferred.
Favorite ways to use tomato sauce
- Over noodles: Serve over spaghetti or zucchini noodles.
- With meatballs: Add classic meatballs or turkey meatballs to your pasta or make a meatball sub.
- Pizza: Spread on a homemade pizza crust and add all your favorite toppings.
- Italian dishes: Use in Italian entrees like baked ziti, chicken parmesan, baked caprese pasta or lasagna.
- Soups: Use in soups like pasta e fagioli or lasagna soup.
How to store
What I love about this roasted garlic tomato sauce is how long it lasts! It will keep for one week if stored in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Sometimes I’ll make a big double batch and use half during the week, then store the other half in the freezer. It makes a great freezer meal and is a perfect option for a busy weeknight!
More homemade sauces:
- The BEST Bolognese Sauce
- Easy Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- Easy Basil Pesto
Tomato Sauce Recipe
- 3 pounds tomatoes , stems removed
- 1 head garlic (small)
- 2-4 Tablespoons olive oil , more or less as needed
- 1/4 cup fresh basil , more to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked pasta
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- Cut the top of the garlic off and then wrap in foil. Place on the pan.
- Quarter the tomatoes and place on the pan. Add fresh basil on top of tomatoes then drizzle the olive oil across the top. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top.
- Roast the tomatoes in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the skins start to shrivel.
- Allow to cool slightly, and then pour the tomatoes and basil into a blender. Remove the foil from the garlic and squeeze the cloves into the blender. Pulse until you reach your desired consistency. Add more basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked pasta.