Tomato Basil Soup – Takes the traditional canned tomato soup to a whole new level! Super creamy, thick and full of flavor. Tastes amazing served with a crispy grilled cheese and fresh chopped basil.
When it comes to classic soup recipes, tomato soup is always a fan favorite. It’s a super nostalgic soup that many people grew up enjoying, along with potato soup, chicken and rice soup, broccoli cheddar soup and vegetable soup.
Homemade tomato soup
Tomato basil soup paired with a crispy grilled cheese is my go-to comfort meal on a gloomy day. I love to cut my grilled cheese into squares and serve it on top of my tomato soup with some fresh chopped basil. SO delicious!
This tomato soup is super creamy and full of flavor. The fresh sauteed basil and oregano add a wonderful fragrant taste, while the roux, parmesan and half and half give it the perfect thick consistency. You can even sneak in extra veggies, similar to how I did in my tomato basil cauliflower soup.
How to make tomato soup
This creamy tomato soup comes together in less than an hour and is super easy to prepare. Just follow the simple steps below to get started. Scroll down for the printable tomato basil soup recipe.
Step 1: Cook onion, spices and tomatoes
Add the oil and chopped onion to the bottom of a large pot (I love to use my dutch oven). Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium-heat, until onion is tender. Stir in basil and oregano and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Then add the canned tomatoes with juice, chicken stock and tomato soup. Bring to a boil (photo above), then reduce heat to low and simmer.
Step 2: Make the roux
While the tomato mixture is simmering, begin to melt the butter in a separate pan over low heat. Slowly mix in the flour to make a roux. Cook until roux turns a golden color, about 2-3 minutes (photo above).
Slowly whisk in the hot water until the roux has thickened and is smooth. Add the roux to the tomato soup and stir well. Then slowly stir in the half and half.
Step 3: Add cheese and simmer
Once the soup is well combined, add in the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Top with shredded cheese, homemade croutons or serve with a grilled cheese. Enjoy!
Tomato soup tastes great with:
If you’re wondering what goes well with tomato soup, you can add toppings like shredded cheese or croutons, or serve alongside a grilled cheese or baked potato. So flavorful and delicious!
More soup recipes:
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- Easy Lasagna Soup
- Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup yellow onion , chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh basil , chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried basil)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano , chopped (or 1 teaspoon ground dried oregano)
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes with juice (2 cans)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 10 ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 3/4 cups half and half
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt , plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper , plus more to taste
- In a large pot, combine the oil and chopped onion and cook over medium-heat for 3-5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Stir in the basil and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes (with juice), chicken stock and tomato soup. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, melt the butter over low heat. Slowly mix in the flour to make a roux. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until roux turns golden. Slowly whisk in the hot water until the roux is smooth and has thickened. Add the roux to the soup and stir well, then slowly stir in the half and half.