Chewy, crispy peanut butter scotcheroos that are topped with a chocolate and butterscotch ganache. This easy recipe is the perfect no-bake treat!
One of my favorite childhood desserts is scotcheroos. If you’ve never had one before, you’ve got to add them to your baking list. They taste like a mix between a rice krispie treat and a peanut butter bar. They really can’t get any easier and are the perfect no-bake treat!
I’m a big fan of no-bake desserts. They are perfect for when you need to throw something together quickly. This scotcheroos recipe is a classic no-bake treat that everyone always loves! The flavors of the peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch are perfection. Seriously imagine a rice krispie treat with peanut butter and chocolate ganache on top. That’s what you get with these scotcheroos. Plus a hint of butterscotch from the butterscotch chips. Talk about flavor heaven. YUM!
How to make scotcheroos
The best part about this recipe is that it can be made in 20 minutes or less. Seriously the perfect treat when you need to make something last minute! Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- BOIL. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar and corn syrup until it begins to dissolve. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter and vanilla.
- MIX. Gently stir in the rice krispies until the mixture is well coated. Then press into a greased 8×8″ baking dish.
- SPREAD. Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together until smooth, then spread evenly on top of the cereal mixture. Let chocolate harden completely, then cut into squares.
- Line your pan with parchment paper for easier removal and less mess.
- If making for a crowd, feel free to double the recipe and make in a 9×13″ pan.
- Can stick in the fridge or freezer to help the chocolate harden faster.
- A plastic knife works best for cutting. Cut them into 9 squares or 18 smaller rectangles.
- To make gluten-free, try using a gluten-free version of rice cereal.
Another fun way to make this recipe is to turn them into mini truffles, similar to my favorite peanut butter balls with Rice Krispies. Roll the peanut butter cereal mixture into balls and dip into the melted ganache with a fork. Then place them on a piece of wax paper to dry. You could even make them similar to a cake pop by adding a stick to the top before dipping in chocolate. So many fun and delicious ways to enjoy them!
Storing + freezing
- Store: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also keep them in the fridge if you prefer them cold.
- Freeze: Place the bars in an airtight container and store in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, thaw at room temperature until softened. They will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months.
More easy no-bake desserts:
- Butter an 8×8″ pan and set aside.
- Combine the sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a boil and the remove from the heat once it has come to a boil. Stir in the vanilla and peanut butter. Next stir in the Rice Krispies. Press into the prepared pan.
- Next, melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in a microwave bowl or on the stovetop over low heat. Then spread the chocolate over the cereal mixture and allow to harden. Cut into 9 squares or 18 rectangles.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!