A rich and flavorful chocolate cookie filled with a delicious soft peanut butter center. These decadent peanut butter stuffed cookies are an absolute dream!
Table of Contents
Peanut Butter + Chocolate Cookie
I didn’t think cookies could get any better until I tried a stuffed cookie. Now I’m hooked! This recipe is a favorite, as well as rolo cookies, peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips and oatmeal cream pies. So yummy!
At our house, we are pretty crazy about all things peanut butter and chocolate. The two flavors are seriously a match made in heaven. So I made these delicious chocolate peanut butter cookies and they were a total hit just like my peanut butter m&m cookies and easy scotcheroos recipe!
They are a rich and flavorful chocolate cookie, filled with a delicious soft peanut butter center. I love to eat these cookies warm, with the filling soft and gooey, and I love the contrast of salty and sweet. They’re definitely more on the indulgent side, but are perfect for special occasions!
How to Make Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookies
Follow the simple steps below to get started.
Step 1: Make the Filling
In a medium bowl, cream together the nut butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer until well blended. Then chill mixture in refrigerator while you make the dough.
Step 2: Make the Dough
Beat together the sugar, brown sugar, butter and peanut butter in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
Then add the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and mix until a thick dough forms. If the dough is still crumbly, add in 1 to 2 teaspoons milk.
Step 3: Divide the Dough and Filling
Divide the dough into twenty pieces that are roughly equal in size. I did this by dividing the dough into halves, then fourths, then dividing each fourth into five equal sized pieces (they don’t have to be exact, but try to make them as close as possible).
Next remove the chilled filling mixture from the fridge and divide it into 20 equally sized pieces. Then roll them into balls and set aside.
Step 4: Stuff the Cookies
Place a piece of dough in the palm of your hand and flatten it out. Then place a filling ball in the middle of the dough and wrap the dough around it, rolling it into a ball to seal it.
Dip the top of the cookie dough ball into sugar, then place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten it out slightly with your hand. Repeat with the remaining dough, spacing them out on the cookie sheet.
Step 5: Bake in Oven
Bake cookies in oven at 375ºF for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are set and slightly cracked around the edges. Serve warm with a cold glass of milk!
Helpful Baking Tips
Refrigerate the Filling.
Make the filling first, then let it chill in the fridge while you start on the cookie dough. It will slightly firm up when it’s chilled, making it easier to handle and roll into balls.
Make sure the Cookie Dough is Soft Enough to Work with.
If your chocolate cookie dough is on the crumblier side, be sure to add a teaspoon or two of milk to help make it smoother. It will be much easier to wrap it around the filling if it’s soft.
Roll the Tops in Sugar.
I’m sure the extra sugar on top isn’t strictly necessary, but I love that it adds a little fun crunch to the texture. Plus the cookies look extra pretty and sparkly. So I wouldn’t skip this step when making this delicious treat!
More Peanut Butter Chocolate Goodness
Peanut Butter Stuffed Cookie Recipe
For the cookies:
- ½ cup granulated sugar , plus a little extra for dipping
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 stick butter (8 Tablespoons) , softened
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 teaspoons milk , as needed
For the filling:
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter (don't use natural)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners and set aside.
- To make the filling, cream together the peanut butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Refrigerate the mixture while you mix up the dough to make it easier to handle.
- To make the cookie dough, in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar, brown sugar, butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda and mix until a thick dough forms. If the dough is crumbly, add 1-2 teaspoons milk.
- Divide the dough into twenty pieces that are roughly equal in size. I did this by dividing the dough into halves, then fourths, then dividing each fourth into five equal sized pieces (they don’t have to be exact, but try to make them as close as possible). Remove the chilled filling from the fridge and divide it into 20 equally sized pieces, then roll them into balls and set aside.
- Place a piece of dough in the palm of your hand and flatten it out. Place a filling ball in the middle of the dough and wrap the dough around it, rolling it into a ball to seal it. Dip the top of the ball into sugar, place it on the baking sheet, and flatten it lightly with your hand. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing it out on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are set and slightly cracked around the edges. Remove to cooling rack. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Originally written by Alicia from The Baker Upstairs for I Heart Naptime. Adapted from Betty Crocker.