Easy no-fail rice krispie treats that requires only 3 simple ingredients! Gooey, soft and incredibly delicious. This no-bake dessert is perfect to have in your back pocket!
Rice krispies are such a nostalgic treat that are simple and super kid-friendly. My littles love to help me in the kitchen when I’m whipping up a batch. They also love to help me make peanut butter no-bake cookies, cake mix cookies and no-bake cornflake cookies.
Rice krispie treats have to be the easiest dessert ever. When you’re in a pinch, they are one of the best no-bake treats to have in your back pocket. They come together quickly and are both kid and adult friendly. These rice krispy treats are the BEST and the secret is to reserve some of the mini marshmallows for the end.
This no-fail recipe is so simple and requires only 3 ingredients. I love to whip up a batch or two if I need a quick treat to bring to a get-together. The end result is a gooey, soft and incredibly delicious treat that is loved by all. So easy and yummy!
3 simple ingredients
- Mini marshmallows
- Rice krispies cereal
How many cups are in a box of cereal?
There are about 10 to 12 cups of cereal in a 12 ounce box of rice krispies. So to make this recipe, you’ll need about half a box of cereal. If doubling the recipe, you’ll use a full box. I love to have multiple boxes on hand so that I can easily whip them up whenever I’m in a pinch!
How to make rice krispie treats
- PREPARE. Line a 9×13″ (or 9×9″ for thicker bars) baking dish with foil and butter. Set aside.
- MELT. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until they begin to melt.
- MIX. Once marshmallows are almost melted, stir in the cereal and the extra marshmallows. Mix until completely coated in marshmallow mixture.
- PRESS. Add mixture to baking dish and push down with a spoon coated in butter or wax paper.
- COOL. Let cool completely before cutting. I like to cut mine with a plastic knife.
Key tips for the best rice krispies
Butter your pan
Because rice krispies are on the sticky side, they tend to stick to the pan. My favorite method to avoid this is to line my baking dish with aluminum, then butter the foil. I let the foil hang a little over the edges of the dish, so that I can easily grab it and remove them from the pan.
Use low heat
In order to get that gooey and fluffy texture that makes them so delicious, it’s important to slowly melt the butter and marshmallows over low heat. It may take a little longer, but it will result in a perfectly soft rice krispie treat. If you use too high of a heat, you could end up with a hard texture.
Mix in extra marshmallows at the end
What takes them from ordinary to extraordinary is to reserve about 2-3 cups of the mini marshmallows to mix in at the very end. This makes them super gooey and delicious.
Let cool before cutting
It’s important that you let them cool completely and harden a bit before cutting. If you try to cut them while the butter and marshmallows are still warm, they won’t hold their square shape. I usually let mine cool for about 30 minutes prior to cutting. You could even stick them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to speed up the process. I find it works best to cut the rice krispies into squares with a plastic knife.
Storage and freezing
To keep them fresh, store in an airtight container or zip top bag. You could even wrap the squares in foil or plastic wrap to eliminate sticking. They will keep at room temperature for 1-3 days.
To freeze, individually wrap the squares in foil and place in a zip top freezer bag. Store in freezer for up to 2 months. Let thaw at room temp for about an hour or so before enjoying.
Check out these other fun variations:
- Red, White and Blue Rice Krispie Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Easy No-Bake Scotcheroos
- Clover Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
- 5 Tablespoons salted butter
- 16 ounce bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal (about 1/2 a box)
- Line a 9×13″ (or 9x9" for thick bars) baking dish with foil and butter. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat and then add 7-8 cups marshmallows. Once they are almost melted, stir in the rice krispies cereal and remaining 2-3 cups of mini marshmallows. Mix until completely coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add mixture to baking dish and press down with a spoon coated in butter or wax paper to compact and level out surface.
- Let cool before cutting. I find using a plastic knife to cut them works best.