Chewy, crispy peanut butter scotcheroos recipe that are topped with a chocolate and butterscotch ganache. This easy recipe is the perfect no-bake treat!
Table of Contents
Rice Krispie Scotcheroos
One of my favorite childhood desserts is scotcheroos. If you’ve never had one before, you’ve got to add them to your baking list. They taste like a mix between a rice krispie treats, chocolate peanut butter ball and a peanut butter bar. They really can’t get any easier and are the perfect no-bake treat!
I’m a big fan of no-bake desserts. They are perfect for when you need to throw something together quickly. This scotcheroos recipe is a classic no-bake treat that everyone always loves!
The flavors of the peanut butter, chocolate and butterscotch are perfection. Seriously imagine a rice krispie treat with peanut butter and chocolate ganache on top. I love the hint of butterscotch from the butterscotch chips.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Rice Krispies: This is the base of the krispy treat.
- Sugar: This is what sweetens the rice krispies. You could substitute brown sugar as well.
- Karo syrup: Make sure to use the light. This will make the bars extra chewy.
- Peanut butter: Creamy works best here!
- Chocolate chips: A mix of semi-sweet and butterscotch is the perfect melted chocolate combo.
How to Make Scotcheroos
The best part about this recipe is that it can be made in 20 minutes or less. Seriously the perfect treat when you need to make something last minute! Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- BOIL. In a large saucepan over medium heat, stir together the sugar and corn syrup until it begins to dissolve. Bring to a boil, then immediately remove from heat.
- STIR. Add in the peanut butter and a dash of vanilla to the corn syrup mixture. Stir until combined.
- MIX. Gently stir in the rice krispies until the mixture is well coated. Then pour the mix into a greased 8×8″ baking dish and press it down with a spatula.
- SPREAD. Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together until smooth, then spread evenly on top of the cereal mixture. Let chocolate harden completely, then cut into squares.
- Line your pan with parchment paper for easier removal and less mess.
- If making for a crowd, feel free to double the recipe and make in a 9×13″ pan.
- Stick in the fridge or freezer to help the chocolate harden faster.
- A plastic knife works best for cutting. Cut them into 9 squares or 16 smaller ones.
- To make gluten-free, use a gluten-free version of rice cereal.
Another fun way to make this recipe is to turn them into mini truffles, similar to my favorite peanut butter balls with Rice Krispies. Roll the peanut butter cereal mixture into balls and dip into the melted ganache with a fork. Then place them on a piece of wax paper to dry. You could even make them similar to a cake pop by adding a stick to the top before dipping in chocolate. So many fun and delicious ways to enjoy them!
Frequently Asked Questions
Scotcheroos got their name from Kellog’s, but I have a feeling it’s named after the secret ingredient in them: butterscotch chips.
The recipe was originally printed on the box of Rice Krispies in 1960’s. They are a popular dessert in the Midwest.
Scotcheroos are made with rice krispies, corn syrup, sugar, peanut butter, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
This is a common problem if you have cooked your corn syrup and sugar mixture for too long. Once the sugar has dissolved and it has started to boil, remove the from heat.
Storing + Freezing
- Store: Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. You can also keep them in the fridge if you prefer them cold.
- Freeze: Place the bars in an airtight container and store in the freezer. When ready to enjoy, thaw at room temperature until softened. They will keep in the freezer for 1-2 months.
More Easy No-Bake DessertsBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- butter , for the baking dish
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- dash vanilla extract
- 3 cups Rice Krispies
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup butterscotch chips , can add an extra 1/4 cup if desired
- flaky sea salt , optional for sprinkling on top
- Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving flaps hanging over the sides. Grease the sides with butter.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and corn syrup over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat. Stir in the vanilla and peanut butter until combined. Add the Rice Krispies and stir until completely coated. Transfer to the baking dish and press into an even layer.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in 30 second increments until melted (or in a small pot one the stovetop over low heat). Spread the chocolate over the cereal mixture. Sprinkle some flaky sea salt on if desired.
- Let chocolate harden. Using a plastic or sharp knife, cut into 9 or 16 squares, depending on the size you prefer.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I made this recipe for coffee hour at church by doubling the ingredients for a 9×13 pan. I brought an empty pan home. My use of off brand butterscotch chips meant that a few didn’t melt well, but the taste was perfect. I will save and use this one again.
My family loved this! The perfect treat and they were so easy to make!
these scotcheroos were the best things ever! thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe!
So glad you enjoyed the scotcheroos recipe!
These were absolutely delicious. We doubled the recipe for bunco and it was gone in no time! Everyone wanted the recipe
Can I use something other than peanut butter? Or can I just leave out?
I think it would alter the texture if you left it out. Perhaps you could substitute tahini or sunflower butter instead?
Scotcheroos are my favorite no-bake treat! I love this recipe, so easy and always a hit with whatever crowd I serve them too!
I’m so glad these bars are always hit! They are my favorite no-bake treat too :)
We love them! The chocolate on top is so tasty with the rice crispy cereal!