This slow cooker creamed corn is made with a secret ingredient to give this classic dish a twist! Super creamy, rich and has amazing flavor.
Creamed Corn with Cream Cheese
This dish is always a family favorite on our Thanksgiving menu and tastes amazing served alongside the roasted turkey. It’s super easy and only takes just 5 minutes of prep. You can literally dump the ingredients in and forget it!
Today I’ll be sharing a twist on one of my favorite Thanksgiving side dishes that my grandma always made. Creamed corn is one of those foods that I’m picky about. I don’t like my corn mashed and I definitely don’t like it to taste bland. It combines all of the delicious flavors, making it nice and creamy with an amazing taste.
If you do happen to like your creamed corn more on the mushy side…you can mash it up a little bit with a masher. But trust me, definitely try it this way! And yes, there may be half and half, butter and cream cheese. Shh…don’t tell!
- Corn: This recipe works best with canned corn. Make sure to drain it first before adding to the crockpot.
- Half and half: I love the rich flavor half an half adds. You can also use heavy cream or milk if preferred.
- Butter: I used salted butter, but you can also use unsalted and sprinkle in a little more salt for flavor.
- Cream cheese: This makes the texture super creamy and delicious.
- Sugar: Add a few Tablespoons of sugar to give the dish a subtle sweetness.
- Nutmeg: This is the secret ingredient in this recipe. It’s not over powering, but adds the perfect subtle flavoring to the traditional version (which can sometimes be a little bland).
- Salt and pepper: You don’t need a lot, just enough to add a little more flavor. Give your creamed corn a taste once it’s done, then add in more salt and pepper if needed.
How to make Crockpot Creamed Corn
- Add to crockpot. Add corn and half and half to crock pot. Place cream cheese and butter on top, then add in the rest of the spices.
- Cook. Turn crockpot to low and cook for 2 to 3 hours. Make sure to stir halfway in between.
- Season and keep warm. Salt and pepper to taste, then turn crockpot to warm until serving.
Stove Top Method
You can easily make this recipe in a pan on the stove if you prefer. If cooking on the stove, I’ve found that using frozen corn works best. To start, simply add butter to a pan over medium heat and melt. Then add the half and half and cream cheese. Stir until the mixture has thickened and melted (about 7 minutes).
Add in the spices and sugar and mix. Then add in the corn and turn heat to low. Simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
If you want to take this cream corn up a notch, try adding on some delicious toppings right before serving. Any of the below taste amazing:
- Fresh parsley
- Shredded cheese
- A dash of hot sauce
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
Other easy holiday side dishes:
- Slow cooker mac and cheese
- Corn casserole
- Slow cooker mashed potatoes
- Crockpot carrots
- Crockpot cheesy potatoes
Crockpot Creamed Corn
- 4 1/2 cups corn (3 cans, drained)
- 1/3 cup half and half , can also use heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper , more to taste
- Place the corn and half and half into the slow cooker (I used a smaller 2 1/2 quart size). Then place the cream cheese and butter on top of the corn. Add the sugar, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cover.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring half way in between.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Turn to warm until ready to serve. It will thicken as it sits.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!