The ultimate creamy slow cooker mashed potatoes. This simple side dish recipe only takes a few minutes to prep and the slow cooker does all the rest! This will become your new favorite recipe.
Mashed potatoes are pretty much my all time favorite side dish. Top them with some homemade gravy and I am in heaven. These make ahead mashed potatoes in the slow cooker have been a holiday life saver. You can start them a few hours before guests arrive and have them nice and hot when the food is ready to serve.
These slow cooker mashed potatoes start out with just a few simple ingredients: potatoes, broth, butter, salt & pepper. The best part about this recipe is you don’t need to pre-boil the potatoes. They will cook right in the slow cooker. Then when they are nice and tender, you can mix in all the ingredients that make mashed potatoes great, such as butter and cream. My grandma always told me that was a must!
The thing I love most about this recipe is that you can easily adapt it to your own taste buds. If you love garlic, feel free to add in a 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or minced garlic before you cook the potatoes. You can also leave the skins on if you prefer (less work), but we prefer to peel the potatoes.
How to make mashed potatoes in the slow cooker
This dish is really SO easy to make and will free up more space on the stove top when you’re down to crunch time. Follow the simple steps below to get started.
- Prepare the potatoes. Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Add potatoes and broth to crockpot. Add the cubed potatoes, broth, salt and pepper to the bottom of your slow cooker and cook until potatoes are fork tender (about 3-4 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low). Then drain most of the broth.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash potatoes. Add melted butter and sour cream and mash the potatoes using a potato masher (or electric mixer). Then stir in 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream at a time until you’ve reached your preferred consistency. S&P to taste.
Make-ahead + keep warm
The best part about these crockpot mashed potatoes is that you can make them ahead of time. We all know that cooking for a big holiday dinner can get a little hectic, so it’s nice to have a dish that you can knock out in advance.
To make-ahead: Simply make the recipe according to directions the night before and store in the fridge. Then warm them back up in the slow cooker a few hours before guests arrive and they’ll be ready to go by the time you serve dinner.
To keep warm: If you make the potatoes only a few hours ahead of time, you can just keep them on the warm setting until you’re ready to serve. Just make sure the lid is on so they stay warm and don’t dry out!
More potato recipes:
- Cheesy Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 pounds russet or yukon potatoes , about 8 medium-sized
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4-6 Tablespoons butter , melted
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1-3 Tablespoons heavy cream , can sub with milk
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut into 2-inch cubes.
- Place potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper in the slow cooker (4 or 6 quart). Stir and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours, or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain most of the broth.
- Add in melted butter and sour cream. Mash with a potato masher or an electric beater. Add 1 Tablespoon of heavy cream at a time, until you reach your desired consistency. Be careful not to over mash. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep the lid on and the slow cooker on warm setting until ready to serve.