Frozen s’mores are a refreshing frozen treat made with a combination of chocolate pudding, whipped topping, cream cheese, and marshmallow fluff layered between graham crackers!
A Frozen S’mores Sandwich
Turning a hot and gooey summertime staple into a cold and refreshing treat is what I call innovative! This recipe for frozen s’mores is a twist on the classic much like we’ve done with s’mores popcorn and s’mores cookies.
There are so many ways to recreate the classic dessert in fun and creative ways and I intend to find them all and share them with you!
These frozen s’mores squares are made with layers of whipped fudgy chocolate and creamy marshmallow sandwiched between two layers of golden grahams. They’re frozen, sliced, and served as one of the best portable frozen desserts, just like an ice cream sandwich!
What We Love About Frozen S’mores
- Easy. One of my favorite things about no-bake desserts is that there’s no hot kitchen to deal with. The hardest thing about making frozen s’mores bars is waiting for them to set!
- Refreshing. A cold treat on a hot summer day. There’s nothing better.
- Messy. In the same way our campfire s’mores are gooey and messy, these frozen s’mores are just as delightfully messy when they start to melt!
- Freezer-friendly. I know, I know, it’s a frozen dessert, so obviously right? But just the fact that you can make a batch or two and have them on hand all summer long is a treat in itself!
- Instant chocolate pudding: It’s a dry powder mix that turns into a creamy pudding when blended at high speed with milk.
- Whole milk: Using whole milk adds richness and a thicker consistency to the pudding.
- Cool whip: We add cool whip to the pudding mixture to lighten it up taking it from a thick pudding to a lighter consistency. It also helps keep it from freezing too solid. Learn how to make cool whip from scratch and take it up a notch!
- Graham crackers: Divided and used for the bottom and the top of the squares.
- Cream cheese: When blended with the marshmallow cream it gives it a bit of extra body and a tangy flavor to mellow out the sweetness. It needs to be room softened, so here’s how to soften cream cheese if you forgot to take it out earlier.
- Marshmallow creme: Also known as marshmallow fluff, it’s a sweet, creamy, sticky spread that tastes like marshmallows.
- Salt: Just a pinch to enhance flavors!
How to Make this Recipe for Frozen S’mores
- Make the chocolate layer. Mix instant pudding, milk, and 1/2 cup of cool whip until creamy. Spread it across the bottom layer of graham crackers that are arranged in a single layer at the bottom of the dish. Place in the freezer to chill.
- Make the marshmallow layer. Using a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and marshmallow creme until smooth. Fold in the remaining whipped topping and pinch of salt.
- Assemble and freeze the bars. Spread the marshmallow mixture on top of the chocolate pudding layer and top with the remaining graham crackers. Cover with foil and chill for 6 hours or until solid enough to neatly slice through.
- Cut and serve. Remove frozen s’mores bars from the prepared pan by lifting with the overhanging parchment paper. Cut into 12 squares.
- Thaw your cool whip. Take it out when you take the cream cheese out of the fridge so you don’t forget to do either one!
- There’s no need to spray the pan or use melted butter to create a nonstick surface, but using parchment is a must! Leaving the overhanging edges will help remove the bars from the tray.
- For a neater presentation and cleaner lines, trim any excess frozen filling from around the bars.
- If frozen s’mores bars are frozen solid, allow them to sit for 10-15 minutes before serving. This way the fudgy chocolate layer will have time to soften up.
- To make this summer treat even more chocolaty, use chocolate graham crackers instead!
If you’re not eating the frozen s’mores right away, wrap each square individually with plastic wrap and transfer them to a freezer bag. Keep frozen for up to 3 months.
There’s quite a bit of sugar in it to preserve it at room temperature. Store-bought creme can last for a couple of months in the cupboard. To extend its life, you may want to transfer it to the fridge.
It’s a treat all on its own, so frozen s’mores bars don’t need much. A scoop of vanilla ice cream or, dare I say, s’mores ice cream on the side is something I can get on board with!
Sure! Assemble them and freeze the batch of frozen s’mores up to 24 hours in advance. When you’re ready to serve them, allow them to sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes first.
Love no bake desserts? You’ll also love my chocolate lasagna recipe, oreo balls and puppy chow.
More Frozen Dessert RecipesBrowse all
Below are a few more of my favorite desserts to cool off with this summer.
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 1 (5.9-ounce) box instant chocolate pudding
- 2 ½ cups whole milk
- 2 ½ cups Cool Whip , defrosted and divided
- 12 graham crackers , broken in half and divided
- 5 ounces cream cheese , at room temperature
- 6 ounces marshmallow creme , a little less than 1 jar
- pinch of salt
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving extra parchment hanging over, so you can easily pull them out.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, milk, and 1/2 cup Cool Whip until smooth and creamy.
- Lay half of the graham crackers evenly in the bottom of the baking dish. Spread pudding mix into an even layer over the top and chill.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese and marshmallow creme until smooth. Fold in remaining 2 cups Cool Whip and a pinch of salt.
- Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over the chocolate layer. Place remaining graham crackers over the top. Cover with foil. Freeze 6 hours, or until firm enough to cut through.
- Pick up the overhanging parchment to remove the frozen filling. Place on a cutting board, using the graham crackers as a guide, slice the layers into 12 squares. Trim away any excess of the frozen filling.
- Enjoy while softened or store in the freezer in a zip top bag. If frozen, allow sandwiches to soften at room temperature 15 minutes before eating.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I made it like an eclair cake last night.. my family loved it only one small slice left today. Definitely something I will be making again. Thank you for sharing recipe.
I was so surprised by how delicious these were! They really are as good as the real thing.
I am glad you were pleasantly surprised, Laura. Maybe these are the fall/winter version :)
Have you tried making this with a cooked chocolate pudding instead of instant? I ask because I’m not a huge fan of instant.
I haven’t, but I think it should still work good. Let us know if you try it out :)
These were really good. Next time I would make them in a smaller pan so maybe the bottom layer of graham crackers wouldn’t move around as much. But definitely a keeper
So happy to hear you enjoyed them, Kristi!
Huge hit at our house! So easy to put together and will be an impressive treat for get togethers. We will definitely make these again!
I’m so happy to hear that Alisha! Thanks for your comment and review :)
Great recipe. My husband loves it.
Made these for a pool party this Memorial Day, they were a HUGE hit! My husband even likes them more than regular s’mores. I will definitely be making them again soon!
Yay! So happy to hear they were such a big hit, Megan! :)
These look so yummy, we are going to try them! Do you think there is a way to make a lighter version of this?
I haven’t tried, but let me know if you have any success with lighter substitutes!
Needed a simple recipe and easy to follow for my guests. This turned out so delicious, I cant thank you enough!
You are so welcome, Natalie! Glad to hear they were a hit :)
Hi I was wondering if this recipe could be made like an eclair cake instead of freezing it?
I haven’t tried, but I don’t see why not. Let us know how it goes :)
Oh boy, I’m in trouble. These are amazing!