This easy apple dump cake takes 5 minutes to prep with just 5 simple ingredients. It’s the perfect pantry dessert for fall that can be made in either the oven or crockpot.
This is one of those desserts that you literally can’t mess up. I adapted the recipe from my classic dump cake recipe and added a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon to bring out the delicious fall flavor. It turned out amazing!
This apple dump cake is a perfect last minute dessert! It only takes 5 ingredients to make and about 5 minutes to prep. I usually have everything I need in the pantry and it’s always a hit with the kids. It tastes similar to apple pie, but with a cake topping instead of crust. It has amazing fall flavors and is a great way to kick off apple season!
How to make apple dump cake in oven
DUMP. Pour the apple pie filling into a 9×9″ baking pan. Mix together the cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon and then evenly sprinkle the mixture over the apple filling. Cut the butter into thinly sliced pieces and place evenly on top of cake mix. Then sprinkle pecans on top if desired.
BAKE. Bake the cake in the oven at 350°F for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top is bubbling and has a golden brown color.
This recipe can easily be made in your slow cooker as well. Pour the apple filling into the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle the cake mixture on top and then add the butter slices. Cook on low heat for 3 to 4 hours (or on high heat for 2 to 3 hours).
- A 9×13″ pan will work too, however the cake won’t be as thick.
- Make sure to slice the butter thin and spread out evenly over the top of the cake mix.
- You can use fresh apples. Peel and core 3 apples. Then cut into 1/2″ cubes. Mix with 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar.
- If you’d prefer, you can melt the butter and drizzle it over top.
- Whipped cream: We love to serve this apple dump cake with homemade whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
- Vanilla ice cream: Nothing beats a warm slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Caramel sauce: Want to take it to a whole new level? Drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
- Candied pecans: Candied nuts or chopped nuts taste delicious on top as well.
More easy apple desserts:
Apple Dump Cake
- 28 ounces apple pie filling (1 large can)
- 18 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10-12 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
For serving: vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the apple pie filling onto the bottom of a 9x9" pan. You could also use a 9x13" pan if you don't want it as thick.
- Mix the cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon together and then sprinkle evenly over the top of the apples. Slice the butter into thin pieces over the top of the cake mix. Top with pecans if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.