This easy apple dump cake takes 5 minutes to prep with just 5 simple ingredients. It’s the perfect pantry dessert for fall that can be made in either the oven or crockpot.
Table of Contents
Apple Pie Filling Dump Cake
This is one of those desserts that you literally can’t mess up. I adapted the recipe from my classic dump cake recipe and added a little bit of brown sugar and cinnamon to bring out the delicious fall flavor. It turned out amazing!
This apple dump cake is a perfect last minute dessert! It only takes 5 ingredients to make and about 5 minutes to prep. I usually have everything I need in the pantry and it’s always a hit with the kids. It tastes similar to apple pie or apple cobbler, but with a cake topping instead of crust. It has amazing fall flavors and is a great way to kick off apple season!
Just 5 Ingredients
This is all it takes for a quick dessert any night of the week.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Apple pie filling: I love the ease of using the premade apple filling.
- Yellow cake mix: The cake mix is a super easy way to skip mixing a lot of ingredients.
- Brown sugar: Just a little extra sweetness to play off the apples.
- Cinnamon: This spice warms up any fall dessert.
- Butter: I like using salted as it enhances the flavors, and the butter gives the cake mix the liquid it needs to bake.
- Whipped cream: We love to serve this apple dump cake with homemade whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
- Vanilla ice cream: Nothing beats a warm slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Caramel sauce: Want to take it to a whole new level? Drizzle with salted caramel sauce.
- Candied pecans: Candied nuts or chopped nuts taste delicious on top as well.
How to Make Apple Dump Cake
Just 5 minutes and only 2 steps to create a fun fall dessert.
- DUMP. Pour the apple pie filling into a 9×9-inch baking pan. Mix together the cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon and then evenly sprinkle the mixture over the apple filling. Cut the butter into thinly sliced pieces and place evenly on top of cake mix. Then sprinkle pecans on top if desired.
- BAKE. Bake the cake in the oven at 350°F for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top is bubbling and has a golden brown color.
- A 9×13-inch pan will work too, however the cake won’t be as thick.
- Make sure to slice the butter thin and spread out evenly over the top of the cake mix.
- You can use fresh apples. Peel and core 3 apples. Then cut into 1/2″ cubes. Mix with 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar.
- If you’d prefer, you can melt the butter and drizzle it over top.
This recipe can easily be made in your slow cooker as well. Pour the apple filling into the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle the cake mixture on top and then add the butter slices. Cook on low heat for 3 to 4 hours (or on high heat for 2 to 3 hours).
Absolutely! Simply replace the canned apples with 3 apples that have been peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes and mixed with 2 Tablespoons brown sugar.
More Easy Apple Desserts
Apple Dump Cake
- 1 (28-ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 (18-ounce) yellow cake mix
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10-12 Tablespoons salted butter , thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped pecans , optional
For serving: Vanilla ice cream or Whipped cream, Caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the apple pie filling onto the bottom of a 9×9-inch pan. You could also use a 9×13-inch pan if you don't want it as thick.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon until combined. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the apples. Place the butter slices over the top of the cake mix. Sprinkle with pecans, if desired.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!