This easy apple dump cake is irresistible with only 5 minutes to prep and 5 simple pantry ingredients. It’s the best low-fuss dessert for fall that can be made in either the oven or crockpot.
Table of Contents
Apple Pie Filling Dump Cake
Apple dump cake is an easy-to-make apple dessert recipe made with apple pie filling, dry cake mix, cinnamon and sugar and melted butter! As it bakes, the cake mix forms a golden crust, while the apples become tender and flavorful, creating a delightful sweet dessert with minimal effort.
I adapted this apple cake recipe from my classic dump cake recipe and added seasonal ingredients for the best fall flavor. It’s a nice change from my favorite summer peach dump cake recipe or this chocolate dump cake recipe.
Made with only 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to prep, it’s perfect when you need a last minute treat. It tastes similar to apple pie but with a cake topping instead of crust. It is a great way to kick off apple season!
Dump Cake Ingredients
This is all it takes for a quick dessert any night of the week. You could even skip the added cinnamon and sugar and make this cake with only 3 ingredients!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Apple pie filling: I love the ease of using the premade apple filling.
- Yellow cake mix: The cake mix is a super easy way to skip mixing a lot of ingredients.
- Brown sugar: Just a little extra sweetness to play off the apples.
- Cinnamon: This spice warms up any fall dessert.
- Butter: I like using salted as it enhances the flavors, and the butter gives the cake mix the liquid it needs to bake.
- Whipped cream: We love to serve this apple dump cake with homemade whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg on top.
- Vanilla ice cream: Nothing beats a warm slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Caramel sauce: Want to take it to a whole new level? Drizzle with salted caramel sauce for a caramel apple dump cake.
- Candied pecans: Candied nuts or chopped nuts taste delicious on top as well.
How to Make Apple Dump Cake
Just 5 minutes and only a few steps to create a fun fall dessert.
- Combine. Mix together the cake mix, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Dump. Pour the apple pie filling into a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- Add cake mix and butter. Sprinkle the cake mix mixture over the apple filling. Cut the butter into thinly sliced pieces and place evenly on top of cake mix.
- Bake. Bake the cake in the oven at 350°F for about 35 to 45 minutes, or until the top is bubbling and has a golden brown color.
- A 9×13-inch pan will work too, however the cake won’t be as thick.
- Make sure to slice the butter thin and spread out evenly over the top of the cake mix.
- You can use fresh apples. Peel and core 3 apples. Then cut into 1/2″ cubes. Mix with 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar.
- If you’d prefer, you can melt the butter and drizzle it over top.
- Have a can of pumpkin on hand? Make this pumpkin dump cake recipe, too!
This recipe can easily be made in your slow cooker as well. Pour the apple filling into the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle the cake mixture on top and then add the butter slices. Cook on low heat for 3 to 4 hours (or on high heat for 2 to 3 hours).
Absolutely! Simply replace the canned apples with 3 apples that have been peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes and mixed with 2 Tablespoons brown sugar.
While this dessert tastes best fresh from the oven, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Just cool completely, cover with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container before storing the fridge.
While yellow cake mix is the preferred option, white cake mix or spice cake mix could work!
More Easy Apple Desserts
Apple Dump Cake
- 1 (28-ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1 (18-ounce) yellow cake mix
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 10-12 Tablespoons salted butter , thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped pecans , optional
For serving: Vanilla ice cream or Whipped cream, Caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the apple pie filling onto the bottom of a 9×9-inch pan. You could also use a 9×13-inch pan if you don't want it as thick.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon until combined. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the apples. Place the butter slices over the top of the cake mix. Sprinkle with pecans, if desired.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!