This easy dump cake can be made 4 different ways and calls for just 4 simple ingredients. Such a classic dessert and the perfect recipe to have in your back pocket!
This is a great pantry recipe that’s literally fail proof. It’s as simple as dumping all of the ingredients into a pan and baking it. It’s one of my go-to desserts to make when I’m in a hurry, as well as cake mix cookies and rice krispie treats.
Dump cakes are one of the easiest desserts to make. This is such a classic dessert and a recipe that needs to be in your back pocket! It’s perfect for when you need a last minute dessert.
You only need 4 simple ingredients to make this cherry pineapple dump cake. The best part is that you can store all the ingredients in the pantry, so you can make it whenever you’re in a pinch. I love to serve this dump cake warm right out of the oven, topped with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. SO good!
There are many different variations for this dump cake and the best part is that you can keep all of the ingredients stored in your pantry for when you need a dessert in a pinch and don’t feel like baking. You’ll find how to make 4 delicious variations below: cherry, peach, apple and blueberry. Just use any 2 cans of fruit that you’d like!
- 2 cans of fruit
- Box of yellow cake mix
How to make a dump cake
- Dump 2 cans of fruit into the bottom of a 9×13″ pan.
- Dump the cake mix on top of the fruit.
- Add thin sliced of butter over top of the cake mix.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
For this specific recipe, I used a can of pineapple and a can of cherries. You could, however, make a simple cherry dump cake and use 2 cans of cherries if your prefer. I like the added sweetness that the pineapple gives it though.
Use 2 cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup (undrained). You could also use 1 can sliced peaches and 1 can pineapple if you prefer. Pineapple and peaches taste great together. If you want to add some extra flavor, feel free to add in some brown sugar or cinnamon.
Use 2 cans of apple pie filling. You can add in extra spices too, like cinnamon, nutmeg or apple pie spice. I also like to top with chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts. If you’d rather use fresh apples to make homemade apple pie filling, you can definitely do that. You’ll need about 6 cups chopped apples. If using fresh apples, remember to add sugar to help sweeten the cake (recommend using about 1/2 cup).
Use 2 cans blueberry pie filling or 4 cups fresh blueberries. If using fresh blueberries, add 1/2 cup sugar. For additional flavor, you can mix in shredded coconut, vanilla or cinnamon. It also tastes great topped with sliced nuts, such as pecans or almonds.
Crock pot version
This dump cake recipe can also easily be made in the crock pot. You’ll basically follow the same instructions but instead place the fruit filling in the bottom of the slow cooker. Then you’ll dump the cake over top, add the sliced butter and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. I love doing it this way if I need to be using my oven for something else. So simple and easy, just takes a little longer to cook.
Dutch oven dump cake
Want to take this dessert camping? You can easily make it in a dutch oven over the fire as well. For easy clean up, make sure to line with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Dump the fruit filling in the bottom of the dutch oven and then pour the cake mix over top. Gently spread, but don’t mix. Then add sliced butter on top of cake mix. Put lid on dutch oven and cook on hot coals for about 30 minutes. I would recommend continually checking to see how fast the cake is cooking and adjust cooking times depending on your heat.
More easy cake recipes:
Dump Cake Recipe
- 28 ounces cherry pie filling (1 large can)
- 15 ounces crushed pineapple (1 can)
- 18 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 12 Tablespoons butter
Optional: Chopped nuts, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pour the crushed pineapple into the bottom of the pan. Then top with the cherry pie filling.
- Dump the cake mix over the fruit. The slice the butter into thin pieces over the top. Top with nuts if desired.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- Peach: Use 2 cans undrained sliced peaches in heavy syrup. Or use 1 can sliced peaches and 1 can crushed pineapple.
- Apple: Use 2 cans apple pie filling and top with chopped nuts. You can also use homemade apple pie filling if preferred.
- Blueberry: Use 2 cans blueberry pie filling or 4 cups fresh blueberries + 1/2 cup sugar.