This easy dump cake can be made 4 different ways and calls for just 4 simple ingredients. Such a classic dessert and the perfect recipe to have in your back pocket!
Easiest Cake Recipe
This is a great pantry recipe that’s literally fail proof. It’s as simple as dumping all of the ingredients into a pan and baking it. It’s one of my go-to desserts to make when I’m in a hurry, as well as cake mix cookies and rice krispie treats.
Dump cakes are one of the easiest desserts to make. Trust me, you NEED this recipe in your back pocket. It’s perfect for when you need a last minute dessert. You only need 4 simple ingredients and the best part is that you can store all the ingredients in the pantry, so you can make it whenever you’re in a pinch. I love to serve this dump cake warm right out of the oven, topped with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. SO good!
- Canned fruit: Use 2 cans of any type of fruit, such as pineapples, cherries, peaches, apples or blueberries.
- Cake mix: Use your favorite brand of yellow cake mix. White cake mix will also work, although I prefer the flavor of yellow in this recipe.
- Butter: You’ll need a stick and a half of butter that’s been thinly sliced into pieces.
How to Make a Dump Cake
- FRUIT. Dump 2 cans of fruit into the bottom of a greased 9×13″ pan.
- CAKE. Dump the dry cake mix on top of the fruit.
- BUTTER. Add thin slices of butter over top of the cake mix.
- BAKE. Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
There are many different variations for this dump cake recipe. Just use any 2 cans of fruit, like cherry, peach, apple or blueberry.
- Cherry: For this specific recipe, I used a can of pineapple and a can of cherries. You could, however, make a simple cherry dump cake and use 2 cans of cherries if your prefer. I like the added sweetness that the pineapple gives it though.
- Peach dump cake: Use 2 cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup (undrained). You could also use 1 can sliced peaches and 1 can pineapple if you prefer. Or make a homemade peach pie filling. If you want to add some extra flavor, feel free to add in some cinnamon sugar.
- Apple: To make apple dump cake, use 2 cans of apple pie filling. You can add in extra spices too, like cinnamon, nutmeg or apple pie spice. I also like to top with chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts. If you’d rather use fresh apples to make homemade apple pie filling, you can definitely do that. You’ll need about 6 cups chopped apples. If using fresh apples, remember to add sugar to help sweeten the cake (recommend using about 1/2 cup).
- Blueberry: Use 2 cans blueberry pie filling or 4 cups fresh blueberries. If using fresh blueberries, add 1/2 cup sugar. For additional flavor, you can mix in shredded coconut, vanilla or cinnamon. It also tastes great topped with sliced nuts, such as pecans or almonds.
Crock Pot Version
This recipe can also easily be made in the crock pot. You’ll basically follow the same instructions but place the fruit filling in the bottom of the slow cooker instead. Then you’ll dump the cake over top, add the sliced butter and cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. I love doing it this way if I need to be using my oven for something else. So simple and easy, just takes a little longer to cook.
Dutch Oven Dump Cake
Want to take this dessert camping? You can easily make it in a dutch oven over the fire as well. For easy clean up, make sure to line with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Dump the fruit filling in the bottom of the dutch oven and then pour the cake mix over top. Gently spread, but don’t mix. Then add sliced butter on top of cake mix. Put lid on dutch oven and cook on hot coals for about 30 minutes. I would recommend continually checking to see how fast the cake is cooking and adjust cooking times depending on your heat.
5 star review
“Excellent! This was delicious and so easy and fun…. my family wants it again real soon!!”-Alexandra P.
More easy desserts:
- Jello poke cake
- 3-ingredient peanut butter cookies
- Cherry pie bars
- Favorite pumpkin cake
- Chocolate turtle poke cake
- 28 ounces cherry pie filling , 1 large can
- 15 ounces crushed pineapple , 1 can
- 18 ounce box yellow cake mix
- 12 Tablespoons butter , cold
Optional: Chopped nuts, vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease the bottom of a 9×13" pan. Pour the crushed pineapple into the bottom of the pan. Then top with the cherry pie filling.
- Dump the cake mix over the fruit. Then slice the butter into thin pieces (about 24 pieces) over the top. I place 6 rows of butter across the top and 4 down, so it melts evenly. Top with nuts if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream if desired.
- Peach: Use 2 cans undrained sliced peaches in heavy syrup. Or use 1 can sliced peaches and 1 can crushed pineapple.
- Apple: Use 2 cans apple pie filling and top with chopped nuts. You can also use homemade apple pie filling if preferred.
- Blueberry: Use 2 cans blueberry pie filling or 4 cups fresh blueberries + 1/2 cup sugar.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!