Moist and fluffy cupcakes stuffed with a sweet apple filling and then topped with cinnamon buttercream. These apple pie cupcakes are the perfect fall dessert to try this season!
Favorite Fall Cupcakes
These apple pie cupcakes are a great solution for when you’re craving homemade apple pie, but want an easier alternative. Just grab a box of your favorite yellow cake mix and some canned apple filling and you’ll be on your way to making delicious apple filled cupcakes in no time.
They combine all of the comforting flavors you know and love about the classic fall pie, but in cupcake form. Each bite is soft and fluffy, with the perfect ratio of apple filling to cinnamon buttercream.
These are the ultimate fall cupcakes and are the perfect way to celebrate the season. Once you give them a try, they will definitely be high on your list of favorite apple desserts!
Reasons We Love These Cupcakes
- They use cake mix as the base. Now don’t get wrong, I love a good homemade cupcake, but I don’t always have the time to make them from scratch. Using a box of cake mix helps saves time while still tasting delicious. No one will ever know you used the premade mix!
- Canned apple filling. Using a can of apple pie filling is another easy shortcut that doesn’t compromise on taste. No cooking or heating involved…just open the can and scoop the filling into each muffin cup.
- Made in 30 minutes. You won’t believe that a dessert this delicious can be made in only 30 quick minutes! It’s an easy treat to whip up with a busy schedule.
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
This cinnamon buttercream is the perfect compliment to these apple pie cupcakes. It’s rich, creamy and has a hint of spice flavor from the cinnamon without being too overpowering.
You can either pipe the frosting on the cupcakes, or use a knife to spread it over the tops. Piping will require more frosting, so I’d recommend doubling the buttercream so that you have enough. I like to use a 1M star tip for best results.
After the frosting is on, drizzle some salted caramel sauce over the tops to take these cupcakes to the next level. Trust me, you won’t regret it!
Learn how to frost the perfect cupcakes with this easy step-by-step tutorial. With only a few simple tools, you’ll be frosting bakery-style cupcakes in no time.
- Swap the yellow cake mix for a spice cake mix if preferred.
- Add a dash of nutmeg to the batter for even more fall flavor. Or use an apple spice blend that’s made with cinnamon, nutmeg and ground all-spice.
- Make a homemade apple pie filling with fresh picked apples.
- Use cream cheese frosting or maple cream cheese frosting with a sprinkle of cinnamon for a tangier flavor.
- Add a crumble topping or streusel topping instead of buttercream.
More Easy Fall Desserts:
Apple Pie Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 15.25 ounce box yellow cake mix , plus ingredients on box
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1- ½ cups apple pie filling , can use a can
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar , measured then sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons heavy cream , more or less as needed
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For topping (optional): caramel sauce, apple slices
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Fill the cupcakes liners about 2/3 of the way full with batter. Coarsely chop the apple pie filling into bite sized pieces. You can add the can to a food processor to make it easier. Just be careful not to puree. Then add a spoonful of filling in each muffin cup. You don't need to use all of it, you want to leave a little space at the top.
- Bake in oven for about 17-19 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- While the cupcakes cool, beat together the frosting ingredients on medium speed until light and fluffy (about 1 minute). Taste and add more cinnamon if desired. Add more cream as needed.
- Then frost the cooled cupcakes with the icing.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!