This apple crisp has a sweet apple base and is topped with a buttery oatmeal crumble that’s baked to perfection. So comforting and delicious. This apple crisp recipe makes the ultimate fall treat!
My family loves to go apple picking in the fall. It’s one of our top family traditions. This easy apple crisp is one of my favorite ways to use up all of our fresh apples, along with crock pot applesauce, and baked cinnamon apple chips.
Favorite fall dessert
One of our favorite fall traditions is going apple picking. My kids absolutely love it and look forward to going every year. Then of course we love to bake all the apple desserts in the weeks to come. This apple crisp dessert is one that I grew up helping my mom make and now I love to have my children help me make it too. It’s my favorite fall treat. It’s definitely one of those comfort foods on a chilly day.
What kind of apples do you use?
You can make this apple crisp recipe with really any type of apple, however I’ve found that apples that have both a crisp and tart flavor work best. You could even include a blend of different types of apples in the apple crisp dessert. Below are a few of my favorite types of apples to use.
- Granny Smith
- Honey Crisp
- Golden Delicious
How to make apple crisp
What I love about this recipe is that it’s so simple to make and you literally can’t mess it up! Scroll down for the printable apple crisp recipe.
- Prep: Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Lay sliced apples in a 9×13 baking pan. Toss with lemon juice. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and then sprinkle over the apples.
- Mix: In a large bowl combine the flour and butter with a pastry mixer. Then add in oatmeal and brown sugar and crumble over the apples.
- Bake: Place in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with nuts and coconut (if desired). Bake an additional 10 minutes to get the nuts toasted.
- Serve: Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Tips + Storing
- Slicing apples: Make sure to slice your apples pretty thin. If they are too thick they wont be as soft.
- Serve warm: For optimal flavor serve warm on the first day. The topping tends to soften the longer it sits.
- Make ahead: If you want to make this dessert ahead, I recommend adding the apple mixture to the pan. Place the crumb mixture in a separate bowl and add right before baking.
- Storing: Store in a covered container for 2-3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
This apple crisp dessert tastes great straight out of the pan, but if you want to take it up a notch…try serving it with some of the options below.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: Ice cream is the perfect compliment to this comforting apple crisp recipe. I like to add a scoop (or two!) of my homemade vanilla ice cream
- Caramel Sauce: A drizzle of caramel sauce tastes absolutely delicious on the apple crisp dessert. Try adding the apple crisp to a bowl, along with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and caramel…the combination is heaven!
- Whipped Cream: For a lighter alternative, you can add whipped cream in place of ice cream.
- Chopped Nuts: Sometimes I’ll add a handful of chopped or roasted nuts on top for an added crunch. Pecans and walnuts are my favorite.
For more apple recipes, check out:
Apple Crisp Recipe
- 8 cups raw apples (peeled and sliced)
- 1 lemon (juiced, about 4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (could sub for 1/4 cup brown sugar)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 8-12 Tablespoons butter (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts and/or coconut
For serving (optional): Vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, caramel sauce
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Lay sliced apples in a 9×13 baking pan. Toss with lemon juice. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and then sprinkle over the apples.
- In a large bowl combine the flour and butter with a pastry mixer. Then add in oatmeal and brown sugar and crumble over the apples. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and top with nuts and coconut (if desired). Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or cool whip. Enjoy!