The BEST brown butter chocolate chip cookies that are soft, chewy and crispy around the edges. These have the perfect caramel flavor and tons of chocolate!
Table of Contents
Best Chocolate Chip Cookie
I’ve been testing this recipe for several months now and have made these at least a dozen times, until I got them just right. These brown butter chocolate chip cookies may even beat my classic chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chip pudding cookies.
They’re more rich than your typical chocolate chip cookie and full of flavor! The brown butter has a rich caramel flavor.
Everyone that tries these always tells me they are amazing and asks what is different about them. I tell them the brown butter!
Why Use Brown Butter?
The #1 reason to use brown butter is the rich, caramelly flavor it adds to desserts. By cooking it down, it gives the butter a deep, toasted nutty taste and adds way more flavor than regular butter. It’s perfect to use when making cookies and gives them the best dimension.
If you’re wondering how to make brown butter, check out this easy step-by-step tutorial. It’s super simple and takes just 5 minutes to brown.
How to Make Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Preheat oven. To get started, preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with a baking mat or parchment paper. I love to use this perfect cookie baking mat. Set aside.
Make brown butter. Melt 1 stick of room temperature unsalted butter in a pan over medium-heat. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, swirling the pan every so often. Once the butter has browned (the color will be amber golden and the aroma is nutty), remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Let chill for 5 minutes.
TIP: Use a lighter colored pan to brown your butter so that you can easily see the change in color. If you use a darker pan, it’s difficult to see the color change and you may under cook or overcook your butter.
Make dough. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining 1/2 cup softened butter, brown sugar and sugar. Mix for 1 minute, until smooth and creamy.
Then add in the melted brown butter and mix until combined. Next stir in the eggs and vanilla. Then add the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Scoop and bake. Scoop cookie dough onto the prepared pan, about 2 inches a part. Bake until edges are golden brown (but center is still slightly doughy), about 7 to 9 minutes. Let cookies sit on the pan for about 2-3 minutes, then move to a cooling rack.
If you’re really looking for a sweet treat this summer, sandwich 2 brown butter cookies between a scoop of ice cream to make the perfect ice cream sandwich.
- For an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to brown butter, click here.
- Use a lighter colored pan to brown the butter, so you can easily see the color change.
- For a thicker cookie, add 1-2 extra Tablespoons of flour and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Use both chocolate chips and chocolate chunks! It gives the cookies the best dimension.
- Add a couple of extra chocolate chips on top right before baking.
- Let cookies sit on the pan for 2-3 minutes after removing from oven. They edges will continue to crisp, while the center stays soft and chewy.
- Top with sea salt for the perfect sweet, salty and caramelly flavor combination.
You may also love this gooey butter cookie recipe, cowboy cookie recipe or these peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips!
More Chocolate Chip Cookie Goodness
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks at room temp)
- 1 ½ cups light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or kosher)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-2 cup chocolate chips (I do a mix of semi-sweet and milk)
Optional: maldon flake sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with a baking mat or parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt 1 stick of the butter in a pan over medium-heat. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, swirling the pan every so often. Allow the butter to brown (when it turns an amber golden color and has a nutty aroma, it’s done). Remove from the heat and then pour into a bowl and chill for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup softened butter, brown sugar and sugar. Mix for 1 minute, until smooth and creamy. Then add in the melted brown butter and stir until combined. Mix in the eggs and vanilla. Then add the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix until well combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill dough up to 30 minutes if desired.
- Scoop cookie dough onto the prepared pan, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 7-9 minutes, or just until the edges are golden brown, while the center is still slightly doughy.
- Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes on the pan. Add a few extra chocolate chips on top of the cookies and sprinkle with flaked salt if desired. Then move to a cooling rack. Enjoy with a cold class of milk!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
What size scoop did you use? That matters a lot!
I typically use a medium sized cookie scoop :)
2 tablespoons? So you could put 12 on a sheet and they spread to about 3” in diameter?
Yes, you can typically fit 12 on a cookie sheet. If you don’t want them to touch at all, I’d do 9 to be safe.
Gooey and delicious 💖
Yay, so glad you liked them! :)
I agree with you
I have made so many batches of these and figured I should finally leave a review. These so good! I have made a couple adjustments…a little less sugar and a little more vanilla. I also added some toffee bits. These cookies are like little butter bites…mmmmm. The browned butter takes the flavor up a few notches.
Yum, the toffee addition sounds delicious!!
These cookies are hands down the best cookies my family and I have ever had! Once you eat one, you will want to eat the whole batch!
Thank you for your comment! I’m so glad to hear your family loved them! :)
This are now my go to cookies! The sweetness of the browned butter, and then the salt on top…. AMAZING! I promise you, you won’t be able to stop eating these!!!
I’m so glad you enjoyed them. Thank you for your comment! :)