Learn the absolute best way to freeze cookie dough so that it stays fresh and delicious. With this easy kitchen tip, you can quickly make fresh baked cookies straight from the freezer!
Best Way to Freeze Cookie Dough
Freezing cookie dough is one of my absolute favorite kitchen tips. Whenever I make a batch of cookies, I always freeze the leftover dough to keep in a stash in my freezer. I pretty much always have a variety of frozen cookie dough on hand. :)
With these easy tips, I’m going to show you how to freeze cookie dough so that it stays fresh and delicious. The beauty of this method is that you freeze the dough in individual servings so that you can pull as many (or as little) out of the freezer to bake. It’s the perfect remedy to curb your sweet tooth without making a whole batch of cookies.
It works great with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, my famous M&M cookies or really any variety of drop cookie that you can scoop and bake. Trust me, you’ll thank yourself later for having extras to reach for whenever you need them!
Freezing Cookie Dough Before Baking
After you’ve prepared the dough according to the recipe instructions, you can then freeze it by using these simple steps:
- Roll dough into balls or use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough onto a baking sheet.
- Place the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour, or until the dough has hardened. The goal is to flash freeze the dough so that it doesn’t stick when storing.
- Remove from the freezer and add the cookie dough balls to a freezer bag or container.
- Store in the freezer until ready to bake.
How Long Can You Freeze It?
Most varieties of frozen cookie dough will stay fresh in the freezer for about 2 to 3 months. It helps to seal out as much air as possible to eliminate any freezer burn. Don’t forget to write the date that you made the dough on the bag so that you know how long it will stay fresh!
How to Cook Frozen Cookie Dough
- Preheat the oven according to the recipe instructions.
- Place the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet and let sit at room temperature while the oven preheats.
- Bake as directed, adding 1 to 2 minutes to the original baking time if needed.
Makes a Great Gift!
Frozen cookie dough also makes an easy and delicious holiday gift idea for neighbors, family and friends. Simply scoop the dough into a 8×8″ foil pan and cover with a lid. Then add a festive ribbon or bow, along with the recipe instructions.
Favorite Dough to Freeze:
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter M&M Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Butter Toffee Cookies
- Macadamia Nut Cookies
How to Freeze Cookie Dough
- Baking sheet
- Cookie dough scoop
- Freezer bag or container
- Cookie dough
- Prepare the cookie dough according to recipe instructions.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the baking sheet. You may also roll the dough into balls with your hands. Place the baking sheet in the freezer until the cookie dough balls have hardened, about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Remove from freezer and transfer the dough into a freezer bag or container. Store in the freezer until ready to bake, about 2 to 3 months.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!