These easy homemade chocolate turtles will become your new favorite treat. The crisp pecans, chewy caramel and creamy chocolate with sea salt on top is pure heaven!
Table of Contents
Easy Pecan Turtles
During the holidays, we always like to make a few batches of our favorite Christmas candy. These homemade chocolate turtles, peanut butter buckeyes and Christmas crack toffee are always the most requested.
Whenever I walk into a candy shop, I always have to pick up a chocolate turtle. The layers of crisp pecans, chewy caramel and creamy chocolate with sea salt on top are to die for. I just love the sweet and salty combo!
And these homemade turtles taste just like the ones you’d get from a fancy candy store! They have the perfect chocolate to caramel ratio and that sprinkle of sea salt really takes them over the top.
The best part? They’re super easy to make with only 4 ingredients. Plus they come together quickly, which means you’ll be saving both time and money making your own pecan turtles at home. Yes please!
4 Simple Ingredients!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Pecan halves: To give them a boost of flavor, toast them in a skillet over medium heat for a minute.
- Caramels: I like to use Kraft caramels (the bits work great too) or werthers. If I’m really splurging I prefer to use Peter’s/
- Heavy cream: Just need a little splash to help the caramel melt nicely.
- Semi-sweet chocolate: Using chocolate chips or melting wafers.
How to Make Chocolate Turtles
- Pile. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then pile 3 to 5 pecans together to make pecan clusters.
- Melt. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the caramel with heavy cream for 1 minute. Stir until smooth, then microwave for another 30 seconds if needed. If you need to thin it out a bit, add in another Tablespoon of cream. Then let cool for 1 minute.
- Pour. Drizzle about 1 to 2 teaspoons of caramel on top of each cluster. Then allow to set.
- Melt. Melt the chocolate in a double broiler or place in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until smooth, then microwave for another 15 seconds if needed. Let cool for 1 minute. Pour about a teaspoon of chocolate on top of the caramel.
- Sprinkle. Sprinkle the flake sea salt over top.
- Be careful not to overcook the caramel. It can burn easily.
- Toast the pecans in a skillet for a minute or two to get a more toasted taste.
- Don’t forget the maldon flake salt adds (it’s the best) on top.
- Use a gourmet caramel like Peters caramel. You could also make your own as well using my microwave caramel recipe or homemade caramels.
- You could also make this recipe with almonds instead of pecans if preferred.
Frequently Asked Questions
Turtles are a candy made with pecans, caramel and chocolate.
Turtles were named by Johnson’s Candy Company after one of their workers pointed to the clusters and said they looked like turtles.
If cooking in the microwave, it will take about 1 minute. Go in 20 second increments after that point and stir in between.
It’s a combination of sweet and salty with the texture being soft and crunchy from the nuts. All the best textures in one dessert.
Layer them between wax or parchment paper in a covered container. They’ll stay good at room temperature for 3 weeks. You can also freeze up to 3 months.
Storage and Freezing
To store: Place turtles in an airtight container and store at room temp for up to 3 weeks. Just make sure to keep them in a cool, dry place so that the chocolate doesn’t start to melt!
To freeze: Add to a freezer container with a piece of wax paper in between each layer of candies. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
Do you love pecans? You’ll also want to try my Mexican wedding cookies, pecan pie bar recipe or these candied pecans.
More Dessert RecipesBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Chocolate Turtles Recipe
- 4 ounces pecan halves
- 8 ounces caramels , I prefer Krafts or Peters
- 1 Tablespoon heavy cream
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melting wafers , or chopped chocolate
- flake sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pile 3-5 pecans together into a cluster.
- Melt the caramel with the heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, then stir until smooth. Microwave an additional 30 seconds if needed. Add another Tablespoon of cream if needed to thin it out. Allow to cool for 1 minute.
- Pour about 1-2 teaspoons of caramel over each cluster. Then allow to set.
- Melt the chocolate in a double broiler or in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Microwave an additonal 15 seconds if needed. Allow to cool for 1 minute. Pour about a teaspoon of chocolate over top of the caramel.
- Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes and then sprinkle the sea salt over top.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
These are so yummy! Turned out great!
I used the Werther’s Carmels and this did not work .so I wasted the ingredients that I bought they were soft so I could not even pick them up. So sad this did not work out
So sorry they didn’t set up for you. :( How much cream did you add in? You could also try placing them in the fridge to set.
Always a favorite! My only problem is that I made them too early and my family ate most of them! Time to make more.
Ah I’m so glad to hear! Thanks for your review :)
Made these cute chocolate turtles with the kids and we had fun! It is so easy to make and tasted so good and satisfying. Definitely a good addition to our Christmas treats. Must try!
They are such a fun Christmas treat!
These are the cutest homemade treats I’ve seen today! I had fun making these adorable chocolate turtles, they turned out so creamy and chewy. My family enjoyed them. We’ll surely have these treats for Christmas. Highly recommended!
So glad your family enjoyed them Sharina!
This is one of our favorite holiday candies! So fun to make and absolutely delicious!
One of our favorites too! Thanks for your review :)
Brainless recipe. Can make em with your eyes shut so easy & delicious