Homemade Microwave Caramels… made in 6 minutes with only 5 ingredients! These will be the easiest candy you will make this holidays!
These Microwave Caramels are soft, chewy and SUPER easy to make! They are pretty dang close to my grama’s caramel recipe. I still love making those caramels every year, but they take quite a bit of time (and stirring), so it is nice to have this recipe on hand for when you need a quick treat. The best part about this recipe is you only need to stir it once. Seriously it couldn’t be any easier. You have got to try them!
I love wrapping these caramels up in wax paper and passing them out around the holidays. Everyone always loves them.
Microwave Caramels Ingredients
My daughter helped me go shopping for the ingredients at Kroger (her favorite store because she gets her very own cart and an apple during the trip). We had a hard time finding the karo syrup but the workers were very helpful. I always forget that it is not by the baking ingredients ;)
There’s only a few basic ingredients in this recipe: butter, sweetened condensed milk, karo syrup, sugar and vanilla. The Kroger vanilla is my favorite and is a staple in all our holiday recipes!
Then all you need to do is melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. Place in the microwave and cook for six minutes, stirring half way in between.
It should be a nice caramel color :)
I like to test the caramel by placing a spoon in cold ice water. If it comes out the caramel texture, it’s ready. Then pour it in your dish and allow to set.
Next it’s time to wrap them in your wax paper and enjoy! I love using a plastic knife to cut the caramels. I’ve tried fancy knives and for some reason the plastic knives work better.
Microwave Caramels Printable Recipe
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt optional
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans optional
- Line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper. Run a stick of butter over the top to prevent the caramels from sticking.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth. Place in the microwave and cook for six minutes, stirring half way in between.
- To test if the caramel is ready, place a spoon into the caramel and then into a cup of cold ice water. If it resembles a soft ball (the texture you’d want your caramels to be), then it’s ready. If it’s still too soft, cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute. You don’t want to overcook or they will be too hard. Stir in vanilla and a pinch of sea salt. Add pecans if desired.
- Pour caramel into prepared pans and allow to set. You may place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to cool them quicker.
- Cut with a plastic knife and then wrap in wax paper to prevent the caramels from sticking. Enjoy! :)