You are going to want to put this Christmas crack toffee on your MUST MAKE list this year. It takes SWEET and SALTY to a whole new level and it only takes 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make!
Grandma’s Cracker Toffee
I’m super excited to start holiday baking and make some more of this delicious Christmas crack. It is one of my favorite Christmas desserts and it only takes about 15 minutes to make! While I do love a traditional homemade toffee, this crack candy is a lot easier to make.
I’m sure many of you that have awesome grandma’s have tried this Christmas crack recipe before. I shared my grandma’s saltine cracker toffee over the summer and this is just a glorified version with chocolate and m&m’s (or almonds) on top.
In my opinion, everything tastes better with chocolate and the M&M’s make it so festive. You could also top your candy crack with crushed saltines, sea salt, toasted coconut, slivered almonds, pecans or heath bits.
How to make Christmas crack
Find the full printable recipe below.
- Prepare: Line a pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Then spread the saltine crackers out evenly.
- Make the caramel: Boil the brown sugar and butter for 3 minutes.
- Bake: Pour evenly over crackers and bake for 8 minutes.
- Spread: Once it’s done cooking sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let melt. Spread out until smooth and top with m&m’s or nuts. Then try not to eat all in one sitting.
This Christmas crack candy is so versatile and can be modified so many different ways! Below are a few of my favorite ways to make it.
- Peppermint graham cracker: Graham crackers with white chocolate and crushed candy canes. Find the full recipe here.
- Chocolate Ritz Christmas crack: Ritz crackers with chocolate and sliced almonds.
- White chocolate pretzel: Pretzels crisps with white chocolate and Rudolph candies or sprinkles.
Beware…this candy crack toffee is seriously addicting! For step-by-step photos for making the toffee, make sure to check out this saltine cracker toffee recipe.
More easy holiday desserts
Christmas Crack Recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 325°F. Line a large jelly roll pan with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray and then line the pan with saltine crackers.
- Place the butter and sugar in a medium sized pot over low medium-low heat. Stir until the butter is melted. Once the butter has melted, bring to a boil for 3 minutes. Stir constantly. Once it’s nice and bubbly and changed to more of a caramel color, remove pan from heat and pour evenly over saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife… however it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Place pan in the oven and bake for 7-9 minutes. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
- Remove pan from place chocolate chips on top and allow to melt or melt the chocolate and then pour over the top with a spatula. Sprinkle M&M’s (or nuts) on top and then place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Once chocolate has hardened break pieces off the foil and store in an airtight container for 1 – 2 weeks.
- Use ritz or graham crackers as the base
- Use a white chocolate or drizzle white chocolate over top
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts
- Add sprinkles for color
Happy holiday (FREE download)
The Christmas crack would also be perfect to add to your holiday plates with your favorite Christmas cookies. So easy, festive and delicious! For an easy gift idea, place some of this candy crack in a jar and pass out to your neighbors and friends. I even have a free printable for you!
I printed mine out on sticker paper (found on Amazon) and then punched it out with a 2inch circle punch. You could also cut it in a square and put a hole punch in the top and tie it on with ribbon or twine. Enjoy!! :D