This easy cauliflower tomato soup is thick, creamy and full of flavor. The perfect healthy soup recipe that’s comforting and delicious!
Cauliflower and Tomato Soup
If you’re craving a comforting soup recipe as much as I am this time of year, this dish is perfect for you. This tomato-basil and cauliflower soup is the perfect bowl of soup to warm up to on a chilly night. It’s so thick and creamy and full of flavor, you’ll love it!
One of my favorite restaurants has the best tomato basil soup and the best roasted cauliflower soup. When I go there, I like to put half of each in a bowl and mix them together. That’s where the inspiration for this cauliflower tomato soup comes from.
I tried to keep it light and healthy for us, so instead of using heavy cream like most tomato soups do – I used Greek yogurt to help make it rich and creamy. The end result was so delicious! It’s the perfect compliment to all of the healthy veggies in this dish.
- Creaminess. I used Greek yogurt to add creaminess, yet keep it on the lighter side. You could sub the yogurt with heavy cream for an even thicker consistency if preferred.
- Roasted cauliflower. For even more flavor, you could roast your cauliflower first. Simply season it with a drizzle of olive oil, kosher salt and pepper and roast in oven at 400ºF on a baking sheet for 25 to 30 minutes (flipping halfway through). Then add to soup according to directions and let simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Blending. If you don’t have an immersion blender, feel free to use a regular blender. Just make sure to pour the soup into the blender in two batches so it doesn’t overflow!
- Simmer. After you’ve blended the soup, mix in the cheese and let the mixture simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. The consistency will continue to thicken as it simmers and the cheese will get perfectly melted and delicious.
I like to garnish my soup with more chopped basil and a drizzle of sour cream. It adds great flavor and looks so pretty! It also tastes delicious served with a grilled cheese for dipping.
- Fresh basil
- A sprinkle of shredded asiago or Parmesan
- Sour cream
- Homemade croutons or cornbread croutons
- Freshly cracked pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- Chopped chives
How to Store Cauliflower Tomato Soup
Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pot on the stove until warm.
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Hearty Vegetable Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
Cauliflower Tomato Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion , chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 head of cauliflower , chopped
- 32 ounces chicken stock , or vegetable stock
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (or 4 cups freshly diced tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 1/2-1 cup plain Greek yogurt , or sour cream
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese , or Parmesan cheese
- Sour cream , optional (for garnish)
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter. Add onions and garlic and sauté 3-5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add chopped cauliflower and sauté another 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock (should cover cauliflower). Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Add diced tomatoes, chopped basil and Greek yogurt. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until creamy and there are no lumps. (You can also pour the soup into a blender in two batches, and blend until smooth. Then pour back into the pot.)
- Once blended, add asiago cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for another 15-20 minutes, stir to combine melted cheese.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with more basil, cheese and sour cream if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe contributed by Kristy from Sweet Treats & More for I Heart Naptime.