Hi Nap Time friends, Kristy here again from Sweet Treats & More! Hope you are all craving soup as much as I am this time of year! This Tomato-Basil & Creamy Cauliflower Soup is the perfect bowl of soup to warm up to after a chilly night of trick-or-treating. Especially when you add a cute, I mean spooky, sour cream spider web to the bow (scroll down)l!
One of my favorite restaurants to eat at here in Utah has the best Tomato Basil Soup and the best Cauliflower Soup. When I go there, I like to put half of each in a bowl and mix them together. That’s where the inspiration for this soup comes from, but I tried to keep it light and healthy for us! Instead of using heavy cream like most tomato soups do, I used greek yogurt to help make it rich and creamy.
With all of the sugary sweets and calorie-laden candy we’ll be eating on Halloween it’s good to balance it with a healthy meal. It’s so thick and creamy and full of flavor, you’ll love it!
Make this soup fun for Halloween by adding some spooky sour cream spider webs. They’re super easy to make. Simply squeeze a dot of sour cream in the center of your bowl, then two to three circles around it. Drag a knife or a toothpick from the center dot to the outer circle of sour cream. Do this all around the center and you’ve got a spider web. It doesn’t have to be perfect!
The spider web was just the bait I needed to get my three year old to eat his bowl of soup! Worked like a charm. It’s such a fun soup to serve up on Halloween (or any day!)
Looking for more post trick-or-treating soups, I’ve got a great round up for you here!
Hi there! I’m Kristy, a wife, mom to two little boys, a runner, and just a girl that loves good food. I love cooking and baking for family and friends and love the memories that accompany good food. I kind of have a thing for sweets, especially chocolate and peanut butter. I like to keep things simple in the kitchen- simple meals and desserts using simple ingredients. I’d love for you to stop by, say hello, and find something yummy!
Creamy Tomato-Basil & Cauliflower Soup
- 1/2 of a head of cauliflower chopped
- 28 ounces 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 5 ounces shredded asiago cheese
- Reduced fat sour cream
- In a large soup pot, melt butter. Add onions and garlic and saute 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Add chopped cauliflower and saute another 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock (should cover cauliflower). Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Add cans of diced tomatoes, chopped basil basil, and greek yogurt. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until creamy and there are no lumps. (You can also pour the soup into a blender in two batches, and blend until smooth. Then pour back into the pot.)
- Once blended add 5 ounces asiago cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for another 15-20 minutes, stir to combine melted cheese.
- For the spider webs
- Fill a plastic bag or piping bag, or a squeezable bottle, with the sour cream. Place a dot of sour cream in the center of the bowl of soup. Then create two or three circles around the center dot. Using a knife or toothpick start from the center dot of sour cream and drag it to the outer circle of sour cream. Do this all the way around the center dot, creating a web.