Easy homemade croutons made with only 4 ingredients in just 15 minutes! Crispy, chewy, flavorful and simply irresistible. They taste just like the ones from a fancy restaurant!
Croutons are the perfect way to spruce up a salad! I love to add them to a big Cobb salad with hard boiled eggs, bacon, corn, tomatoes, avocado, shredded chicken and top with homemade ranch dressing. Seriously SO yummy and fresh!
Have leftover homemade bread sitting around? Make croutons! It’s the perfect way to use up bread that’s gone a little hard. They are crunchy, chewy, flavorful and simply irresistible.
The best part about this recipe is that it takes only 4 ingredients and a few minutes to make! You’re left with delicious homemade croutons that taste just like the fancy ones from a restaurant. Plus they are SO much better than store bought too!
We love to add them to all types of salads and soups. They add the perfect crunch and flavor. Sometimes I’ll even make a yummy vinaigrette to pair along with them. I’m telling you…making homemade dressing and croutons from scratch really takes your salad up a notch. So delicious!
4 simple ingredients
- Day old bread: Using day old bread is perfect for making croutons! It’s a great way to make use of bread that’s gone a little hard. I prefer to use a french baguette, french bread or sourdough bread.
- Olive oil: I like to coat them in olive oil, however you can use butter too. I just prefer the richer flavor of olive oil.
- Parsley: I love the bold Italian flavor that parsley adds. I typically use dried parsley flakes, however you could use chopped fresh parsley if you have some that you need to use up. You could also use oregano in place of parsley if preferred.
- Garlic: Don’t forget to add garlic powder! It helps bring all the flavors together and makes them taste super yummy.
How to make homemade croutons
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- CUT. Slice the bread into 1-inch cubes, then add to bowl or zip top bag.
- COAT. Drizzle on oil and add parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Carefully mix until well coated.
- BAKE. Bake in oven at 375°F for 7-10 minutes, then remove from oven and stir. Then bake additional 3-5 minutes, until golden and crisp.
Tips + variations
- Spices. Feel free to use other types of spices like oregano, rosemary, Italian seasoning or even a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Type of bread. Although I prefer french bread or sourdough, you can really make croutons with any type of bread. Whether you’re using artisan bread, homemade bread or even leftover hamburger buns, the end result will still be delicious. You can even make cornbread croutons using sweet cornbread.
- Single layer. Make sure that the bread cubes are in a single layer on the baking sheet. You don’t want them to overlap or touch, or else they may not get as crispy.
- Flip halfway. Don’t forget to flip them halfway through! You want both sides to crisp up evenly so that they have that delicious, crunchy exterior.
- Leftovers. If you have leftover croutons that you need to use up, blend them into homemade breadcrumbs and make chicken tenders or baked macaroni and cheese.
Simply place in an airtight container and store at room temperature. I like to store my mine in a glass mason jar – it keeps them extra fresh! If stored properly, they will keep for up to 2 weeks.
Favorite ways to use them:
- In a big Italian salad or Mediterranean salad
- Mixed into a chicken caesar pasta salad
- Served on top of a bowl of tomato basil soup
- To make sausage stuffing for the holidays
- Mixed into a BLT pasta salad
- 4-5 cups day old bread , french baguette, french bread or sourdough bread
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil , or melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
S&P to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes. Then place in a bowl or zip top bag. Drizzle the oil over the top and add the parsley flakes and garlic powder. Then sprinkle salt and pepper over top (I usually do about 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper). Carefully mix until well coated.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. Stir and cook for and additonal 3-5 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.