Homemade Croutons – Made with only 4 ingredients in just 15 minutes! Crispy, chewy, flavorful and simply irresistible. These croutons taste just like the ones from a fancy restaurant!
Homemade croutons are the perfect way to spruce up a salad! I love to make a big Cobb salad and add croutons, hard boiled eggs, bacon, corn, tomatoes, avocado, shredded chicken and top with homemade ranch dressing. Seriously SO yummy and fresh!
Have leftover bread sitting around? Make croutons! It’s the perfect way to use up bread that’s gone a little hard. These homemade croutons are crunchy, chewy, flavorful and simply irresistible.
The best part about this crouton recipe is that it takes only 4 ingredients and a few minutes to make! You’re left with delicious homemade croutons that taste just like the fancy ones from a restaurant. Plus they are SO much better than store bought too!
We love to add these croutons to all types of salads and soups. They add the perfect crunch and flavor. Sometimes I’ll even make a yummy vinaigrette or ranch dressing to pair along with them. I’m telling you…making homemade croutons and dressing really takes your salad up a notch. So delicious!
What are croutons made of?
I love that these homemade croutons are SO easy to make! They only require 4 simple ingredients and are ready in just 15 minutes. It doesn’t get better than that!
Day old bread: Using day old bread is perfect for making croutons! It’s a great way to make use of bread that’s gone a little hard. When making homemade croutons, I prefer to use a french baguette, french bread or sourdough bread.
Olive oil: I like to coat my croutons in olive oil, however you can use butter too. I just prefer the richer flavor of olive oil.
Parsley: I love the bold Italian flavor that parsley adds to these homemade croutons. I typically use dried parsley flakes, however you could use chopped fresh parsley if you have some that you need to use up. You could also use oregano in place of parsley if preferred.
Garlic: Don’t forget to add garlic powder! It helps bring all the flavors together to create the most perfect croutons!
How to make croutons
Scroll down for the printable crouton recipe.
- Preheat oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut bread then coat with seasonings. Slice bread into 1-inch cubes, then add to bowl or zip top bag. Drizzle on oil and add parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Carefully mix until well coated.
- Bake croutons. Bake for 7-10 minutes, then remove from oven and stir. Then bake additional 3-5 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Store and enjoy. Store croutons in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
How long can homemade croutons last?
If stored properly, these homemade croutons will keep for up to 2 weeks. Simply place in an airtight container and store at room temperature. I like to store my croutons in a glass mason jar – it keeps them extra fresh!
What can croutons be used for?
I love to add croutons to my favorite soups and salads. They taste great on top of a chopped salad, Cobb salad, Mediterranean salad, Caesar salad, tomato soup, sweet potato soup or roasted cauliflower soup. They also taste amazing in a chicken caesar pasta salad.
- 4-5 cups day old bread (french baguette, french bread or sourdough bread)
- 3-4 Tablespoons olive oil (or melted butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes. Then place in a bowl or zip top bag. Drizzle the oil over the top and add the parsley flakes and garlic powder. Then sprinkle salt and pepper over top (I usually do about 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper). Carefully mix until well coated.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes. Stir and cook for and additonal 3-5 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.