A hearty and easy main dish soup recipe that’s perfect for colder weather. This creamy sweet potato soup is a delicious vegetarian recipe everyone will love!
I just love this time of year because I enjoy cooking and eating a warm bowl of soup. As soon as the weather gets cooler, this recipe is one of the first on my list, along with hearty vegetable soup, minestrone and creamy tomato basil soup.
I have a new found love for sweet potatoes. I just love how healthy they are and how delicious they taste. I’ve tried baking and roasting them, but had never used them in a soup. So I thought it was time to give it a try.
The best part about this sweet potato soup recipe is that it can be made in one pot with little cleanup. It’s a healthy and delicious comfort meal that is perfect for the season! It’s loaded with flavorful veggies and has a warm, creamy taste.
How to make sweet potato soup
Cook the veggies. First, I started by chopping up a white onion, celery stocks, and fresh garlic. Then the prepared vegetables are softened in a large pot with melted butter over medium-high heat.
Add sweet potatoes and spices. Next, you add the star of the soup, diced sweet potatoes along with paprika, chicken stock and a cinnamon stick. Bring the ingredients to a boil over high heat, then let simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, which is about 20 minutes.
Blend and add cream. Once all the vegetables are cooked and tender, you can use an immersion blender to puree the mixture. I worked in small batches in my high speed blender.
Once the vegetables are pureed, add whipping cream, milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Heat the soup back up on the stove and garnish with chopped chives is desired.
- Chopped chives
- Sour cream
- Goat cheese
- Chopped herbs
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Chili flakes
Can the soup be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze this sweet potato soup. Soups that contain a cream or milk base can sometimes separate when freezing, so I would just add a little bit of fresh cream when reheating.
If planning on freezing the whole batch, you could also just make the soup without the milk/cream, freeze, then add it in when warming back up.
More comforting soup recipes:
- Easy Corn Chowder
- Ham and Potato Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- One Pot Chicken and Rice Soup
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Soup
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 large orange-flesh sweet potatoes)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- Melt the butter in a large, stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the celery and sauté for 5 more minutes until softened. Then add the garlic and cook a minute more.
- Add sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer uncovered until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup or work in batches and purée the soup in a standing blender.
- Add the cream and milk to the pureed soup and heat on medium until it's heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Photography and recipe contributed by Katie from Purely Katie for I Heart Naptime.