Creamy Sweet Potato Soup – A hearty and easy main dish soup recipe that’s perfect for colder weather. This sweet potato soup is a delicious vegetarian recipe everyone will love!
Once the weather gets cooler, I love to make all types of comforting soups. This sweet potato soup recipe is perfect for fall or winter, as well as taco soup, lasagna soup, chicken gnocchi soup and hearty vegetable soup.
By Katie from The Casual Craftlete for I Heart Naptime.
Sweet Potato Soup
I just love this time of year because I enjoy cooking and eating a warm bowl of hearty soup. This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is loaded with lots a flavorful vegetables and is easily made in one pot. Perfect for fall weeknights and weekends.
I have a new found love for sweet potatoes. I just love how healthy they are and they taste delicious. Recently, I made a sweet potato chili recipe that was so good, so I thought I would try and make a soup with sweet potatoes and it’s just as good. The best part about this sweet potato soup recipe is that it can be made in one pot with little cleanup. It’s a healthy and delicious comfort meal that is perfect for the season! Enjoy a warm bowl of this sweet potato soup with a piece of crusty french bread or a homemade roll.
How do you make sweet potato soup?
This sweet potato soup is easy to make and can be made in one pot, which is a win in my book! Scroll down for the printable sweet potato soup recipe.
- First, I started by chopping up a white onion, celery stocks, and fresh garlic. Then the prepared vegetables are softened in a large pot with melted butter over medium-high heat.
- Next, you add the star of the soup, diced sweet potatoes along with paprika, chicken stock and a cinnamon stick. Bring the ingredients to a boil over high heat, then let simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, which is about 20 minutes.
- Once all the vegetables are cooked and tender, you can use an immersion blender to puree the mixture. I worked in small batches in my high speed blender. Once the vegetables are pureed, add whipping cream, milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Heat the healthy sweet potato soup through and garnish with chopped chives is desired.
Can you freeze sweet potato soup?
Yes, you can freeze this sweet potato soup recipe. Soups that contain a cream or milk base can sometimes separate when freezing, so I would just add a little bit of fresh cream when reheating. If planning on freezing the whole batch, you could also just make the soup without the milk/cream, freeze, then add it in when warming back up.
Favorite toppings for sweet potato soup recipe
- Chopped chives
- Goat cheese
- Chopped herbs
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Chili flakes
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 large orange-flesh sweet potatoes)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- Melt the butter in a large, stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, then add the celery and sauté for 5 more minutes until softened. Then add the garlic and cook a minute more.
- Add sweet potatoes, vegetable stock, cinnamon stick, and nutmeg. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer uncovered until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Remove cinnamon stick. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup or work in batches and purée the soup in a standing blender.
- Add the cream and milk to the pureed sweet potato soup, and heat on medium until the soup is heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste.