This crockpot Mexican chicken is made with only 5 ingredients including black beans, corn and salsa! Use the tender shredded chicken for tacos, burrito bowls with rice or salads.
Why I Love This Recipe
- Easy and flavorful: Tender chicken breasts are transformed into slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken with only a few simple ingredients like taco seasoning and Rotel!
- Picky eater approved: Perfect for families this crockpot shredded chicken has simple southwest flavors that aren’t too spicy plus the prep work is only 10 minutes.
- Meal prep friendly: Leftovers of this crockpot Mexican chicken recipe can be stored in the fridge for 5 days or freezer for 3 months making it perfect for busy weeknights, the holiday season and more.
- Versatile: There are so many ways to serve Mexican chicken! Wrap it in chicken tacos, use it to top tortilla chips for nachos, make shredded chicken taco salad, make chicken burritos, enchiladas and more!
- Salsa: Instead of Rotel you can use your favorite store brand of salsa or homemade restaurant style salsa!
- Chicken thighs: Swap boneless chicken breasts for boneless skinless chicken thighs. Same great taste!
- Brown chicken: It will mean another dish to wash but helps lock in juices plus adds another layer of delicious flavor.
- Smoky heat: Add a few chopped chipotle peppers.
- Creamy: Stir in cream cheese after shredding chicken.
- Instant Pot: This Mexican chicken can be made in the pressure cooker with a few adaptations. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth to the bottom of the pot, top with chicken, taco seasoning, corn, beans and then undrained Rotel. Cook on high for 15 minutes with 10 minutes natural release.
- Favorite toppings: For a complete fiesta do not forget your favorite toppings when serving this crockpot Mexican chicken! Shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream, quick pickled onions, cilantro, fresh lime and any others you love!
How to Make Crockpot Mexican Chicken
Coat crockpot with nonstick spray, spread 1 can Rotel evenly over the bottom and then lay chicken breasts on top. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the chicken then add black beans and corn before topping with remaining Rotel and taco seasoning.
Cover and cook chicken on low heat 6 to 8 hours or on high heat 4 hours until chicken reaches 165°F.
Using two forks shred chicken right in the crockpot or remove to cutting board, shred then stir back into the sauce. Serve Mexican shredded chicken with all your favorite toppings!
Make Ahead, Storing and Freezing Instructions
Make ahead: This recipe is easily to double or even triple to make big batches to freeze for a later date. Having a bag or two of this chicken on hand is perfect for whipping up easy lunches and dinners!
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When reheating, add a splash of chicken broth or salsa to rehydrate the chicken.
Freezer: Store in a ziploc bag or airtight freezer-safe storage container up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before serving.
Crockpot Mexican Chicken
- 2 (10-ounce) cans Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles (mild, original, or hot), drained, divided
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 ½ Tablespoon taco seasoning , divided
- 1 (15.5-ounce) black beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Cook on low heat 6 to 8 hours or on high heat 4 hours. Shred chicken and serve with favorite toppings (see note).
- Shredded cheese
- Chopped cilantro
- Fresh Lime
- Diced Onion
- Sour Cream
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!