Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Tacos – A delicious tinga recipe that tastes like it came straight from a Mexican restaurant. So easy and only takes 5 minutes to prep. These chicken tinga tacos are authentic and amazing!
Mexican food is my absolute favorite…I could eat it every day! This chicken tinga recipe is one of my top picks, along with one pot burrito bowls, sheet pan chicken fajitas, Mexican salad and slow cooker taco lasagna.
These chicken tinga tacos are incredible and taste like they came straight from a Mexican restaurant. My inspiration for this chicken tinga recipe came from a trip I took to Nashville. We went on a walking food tour through the city and ate at 4 different taco shops in 4 hours. I ate some of the best tacos of my life that day.
On the tour, I had the most delicious chicken tinga tacos and knew I had to try and recreate the recipe at home to share with you. At another restaurant I tried the most amazing feta crema sauce on a taco as well, so I thought I would take the two and make one amazing taco. And the combination did not disappoint…these chicken tinga tacos are amazing and SO easy to make!
What is chicken tinga
Chicken tinga (also known as tinga de pollo in Spanish) is a Mexican recipe that consists of shredded chicken that’s topped in a tomato, chipotle pepper and onion sauce. Additional seasonings may be added to the sauce based on preference, such as garlic or taco seasoning.
How to make tinga
Slow cooker chicken tinga tacos are so easy to prep! All you need is 5 minutes and 5 ingredients to make the tinga sauce. Scroll down for the printable tinga recipe.
- Place the tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onion and seasonings in a blender and pulse 5 times. The peppers and taco seasoning add just the right amount of heat.
- Then pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker and cook for about 4 hours. Once the chicken simmers in the sauce, it will have a nice smoky chipotle flavor. Such a simple tinga recipe packed with so much flavor.
The feta crema sauce seriously takes the chicken tinga from ordinary to extraordinary. It’s defintiely worth trying, and only takes a couple extra minutes to make. Promise!
- Stir the cream cheese, feta and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.
- Add milk to crema sauce as needed to thin it out.
Note: Place crema in a zip top bag and then cut off the top to drizzle over the chicken tacos. It’s a little thick, so you could also just add a big dollop to the center of the chicken tinga tacos. :)
Optional toppings to add to chicken tinga tacos
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Cotija cheese
- Lime juice
- Chopped onions
- White sweet corn
Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 14.5 ounces fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobe (more if you like heat)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (more to taste)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 3 Tablespoons feta cheese
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- whole milk (if needed)
- diced onions
- chopped cilantro
- crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- lime slice
- Place the chicken breast in the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, taco seasoning and salt to a blender. Pulse 3 to 5 times. Then pour over the chicken. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, or until you are able to shred the chicken. Shred and then cook an additional 15 to 30 minutes. Place slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
- For the feta crema, stir the cream cheese, feta and lemon juice until smooth. Add milk to crema sauce as needed to thin it out.
- Serve the chicken tinga inside of tortillas. Add your favorite toppings such as, onion, cilantro and feta cheese.