A delicious taco bowl loaded with cilantro lime rice, seasoned chicken, black beans and corn. Easily made in the slow cooker and dinner is ready when you are!
Easy Crockpot Taco Bowls
When it comes to easy Mexican dinners, this chicken taco bowl recipe is at the top of my list. It’s made in the crockpot and takes only 5 minutes to prep. Some of my other easy favorites are Mexican lasagna, Mexican chicken casserole, navajo tacos and sheet pan fajitas.
These chicken taco bowls are one of my staple easy recipes for Taco Tuesday! They are a family favorite and are on our monthly (sometimes weekly) rotation. The slow cooker does all the work for you and the taco bowls are super easy to assemble.
We love to serve our bowls over cilantro lime rice, however you could easily serve over lettuce or in a tostada shell too. They have great flavor and are filled with so much goodness! These chicken taco bowls are delish and my whole family loves them!
Why I Love Them:
- You can throw it all in a crock pot (in less than 5 minutes).
- It’s some-what healthy! You can even use brown rice or cooked quinoa to make it healthier.
- You can freeze the leftovers. Just place the chicken in a freezer zip lock bag and pull it out when you need a quick meal.
- The leftover shredded chicken also works great in tacos, nachos, taco salads or burritos!
- You can customize with your favorite toppings.
- My kids love them (which is the main reason I love to make these taco bowls so often).
What to Put in Them?
- Chicken: I used 4 frozen chicken breasts, about 1.5 pounds.
- Beans: I love to use 1 can black beans, but pinto beans would work too. Make sure to drain and rinse your beans first!
- Corn: Canned corn is my go-to for convenience, but frozen or fresh corn work great as well.
- Seasonings: To season the taco bowls, you’ll simply add in the following to the crockpot: salsa, chili powder, cumin, minced garlic, lime juice and salt.
- Rice: We love to serve our chicken taco bowls with cilantro lime rice. It has such great flavor! You could also serve over Mexican rice or even just plain white rice.
- Optional toppings: Sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream, cilantro lime crema, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro
How to Make Taco Bowls in Crockpot
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Add chicken to crockpot. Place chicken in the bottom of a large crockpot and pour water and salsa over.
- Add in spices, beans and corn. Then add in chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, lime juice, black beans and corn.
- Cook until tender. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, until chicken is tender and easily shreds with a fork.
Cilantro Lime Rice
While the chicken cooks in the crockpot, you can prepare the cilantro lime rice on the stove. In a large skillet over medium-heat, melt the butter with the rice. Then stir in chicken broth and remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Add more chili powder or salt if desired. Fluff with a fork.
Serving + Toppings
When the dish is ready to serve, place the rice in the bottom of 6 bowls, then add chicken mixture on top. Top with any of the desired toppings below. We love to use cheese, avocados and sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.
- Salsa (red or green)
- Pico de gallo
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Sour cream
- Cilantro lime dressing
- Shredded cheese
- Avocado lime dressing
- Lime juice
- Tortilla strips or tortilla chips
Meal Prep and Freezer-Friendly!
Another reason why I love these chicken taco bowls is because not only are they great for meal prep, but they make a perfect freezer meal too. I’m all about dishes that make life easier, and this taco bowl recipe is one of those meals!
- Meal prep: This is the perfect dish to meal prep! Simply add rice (or quinoa) to the bottom of 4-6 meal prep containers, then add chicken mixture on top. Cover with lid and place in the fridge until ready to enjoy. You can even prepare your desired toppings ahead of time too. That way you can literally just grab and go!
- To freeze: Chicken taco bowls make a wonderful freezer meal! Just add the chicken mixture to a zip top freezer bag and label it with the date. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then just pull it out when you need a quick meal! I usually let mine thaw in the fridge overnight before enjoying.
More Mexican Dinners:
- One Pot Burrito Bowls
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos
- Best Taco Soup
- Slow Cooker Taco Lasagna
- One Pot Sweet Potato Bowls
Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken , I used 4 frozen chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder , more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt , more to taste
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn , drained
- 1/2 Tablespoon lime juice , juice from 1/2 a lime
Cilantro Lime Rice:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked white long rice
- juice and zest from 1 large lime
- 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¾ teaspoon salt and pepper to taste
Optional toppings: sliced avocado, salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro
- Place chicken in a large crock pot and pour water and salsa on top. Next add in chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic, lime juice, black beans and corn. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours, or until chicken easily shreds.
- To make the rice: In a large skillet over medium-heat, melt the butter with the rice. Add the chicken broth and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Add more chili powder and salt to taste. Fluff with a fork.
- Add rice to the bottom of 6 bowls, then top with chicken mixture. Add favorite toppings like cheese, sliced avocado and sour cream and serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!