This homemade taco seasoning takes only 8 simple ingredients and less than 5 minutes to make! Easy, flavorful and cost effective. You’ll never go back to store-bought again!
Mexican food is a family favorite that we make almost every week at our house. That’s why I love having this easy taco seasoning or fajita seasoning on hand. We use them all the time when making one pot burrito bowls, taco soup, Mexican stuffed shells and enchilada pasta.
Once your make your own homemade taco seasoning, you won’t ever go back! It is so easy to make and adds so much authentic flavor to any Mexican dish. Plus it’s way more cost effective too. A packet costs around a dollar, so it’s way cheaper to make your own at home.
This is a mild seasoning, however you can easily adjust the spices based on your family’s preference. I love to double or even triple the recipe so that we always have some on hand. We make Mexican food quite often and especially love to use it on taco meat when making ground beef tacos, taco lasagna or a taco salad. It also tastes great on shredded chicken, too!
The seasoning requires only 8 simple spices…most of which are everyday spices that you probably already have at home. The flavor is on the mild side, however feel free to make it spicier by adding more chili powder or sprinkling in some red pepper flakes.
- Chili powder: A bold chili flavor with a kick of heat.
- Ground cumin: Warm and earthy with a small hint of spice.
- Paprika: Adds a smokey flavor, without being too overpowering.
- Garlic powder: Gives it a fragrant garlic aroma.
- Onion powder: Subtle onion flavor.
- Dried oregano: A subtle balance between sweet and spicy.
- Salt and pepper: These help round out the seasoning and bring all of the flavors together.
How to make taco seasoning
- COMBINE. Add all spices in the bottom of a small bowl.
- MIX. Stir the spices together until fully combined.
- STORE. Store in an airtight container.
How much homemade seasoning equals one packet?
This recipe makes around 3 Tablespoons. A standard store-bought packet has about 2 Tablespoons, so this makes a little bit more. If making 1 pound of taco meat, I’d suggest using 2 Tablespoons of the homemade seasoning. If you’d like to use all of the seasoning, use 1.5 pounds of meat.
Storage + shelf life
To store, simply place in an airtight container or jar covered with a lid. I’ve found that mason jars work great for storing. I often double or triple this recipe to easily have on hand for later use.
What’s so great about this recipe is that it will literally keep for years! Ground and dried herbs have a long shelf life and since this recipe is made of both – it does too! Just make sure to store properly and it will stay fresh for about 1-2 years.
More recipes to use it in:
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Mix together the chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and red pepper flakes (optional) in a small bowl.
- Store in an airtight container.