EASY garlic cheese rolls filled with fresh mozzarella and brushed with melted butter are a must-make. This recipe is quick and easy—no one will believe it only took you 20 minutes to whip up!
Dinnertime is a ritual in our house—it’s the time when everyone can press pause and gather around to catch up with one another. I want our family to linger there, just a little bit, so I have to pry them with good food to stay and eat. One easy trick? This garlic cheese roll.
There’s nothing more than I love than a good homemade dinner roll, but I don’t always have the time to create a recipe from scratch. Sometimes you just need a quick recipe you can doctor up from pre-made dough in your back pocket.
The genius of this cheese roll recipe is that Pillsbury gets to do the hard work for you, while you reap all the benefits of being Super Mom. My kids absolutely love these garlic rolls and beg for them weekly. All our guests that have tried them rave about them too!
To make this recipe, all you need is a few simple ingredients. One can of refrigerated original grand biscuits (I prefer Pillsbury) serves as your base. I recommend making this recipe with mozzarella cheese, but if you have a different type of cheese such as mild cheddar on hand, that will work as well. The rolls are then topped with an irresistible garlic butter sauce. Yum!
Check out all of the ingredients below:
- Refrigerated original grand biscuits (I prefer Pillsbury)
- Mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
Can I use homemade dough?
Absolutely! If you want to try your hand at making the recipe completely from scratch, the recipe will still work.
Instead of using the Pillsbury dough, create homemade biscuit dough. Before you bake the dough, fill the biscuits with cheese, then top with the garlic butter mixture. Depending on which recipe you are using for your dough and how thick the biscuits are, you may need to adjust the baking time.
How to make garlic cheese rolls
- Place biscuits on pan and top with cheese. These cheese rolls start out with a basic pre-made biscuit and are then are filled with cheese. Place the biscuits onto a baking sheet and then put the cheese on top of the biscuit.
- Pinch corners together. Now for the fun part! To get the cheese into the center, pinch the four corners in towards the center so that the cheese is hidden. You want the dough to be in a ball shape with the cheese at the center. Then place the rolls seam down on pan.
- Bake cheese rolls. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown and cooked through the center.
- Make the garlic topping. While your rolls are baking, make the garlic topping. Melt your butter in the microwave using intervals of about 10 seconds or so until fully melted. Then mix the butter with the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and parmesan.
- Brush topping over cheese rolls. Once the rolls are done baking, brush the tops with the melted seasoned butter and serve immediately. These rolls definitely taste best HOT so you can enjoy the gooey cheese and buttery garlic flavor. Mmm… so yummy!
To make ahead:
These are super quick to put together, but if you need to make them ahead of time, assemble them as directed and freeze instead of placing them in the oven. Pull out the rolls and let them thaw on the counter for 15 minutes or so before baking. You may need to adjust your baking time slightly, so set a timer and keep a close eye.
Once they are baked, they definitely taste best hot, so I would not recommend baking these ahead of time then letting them sit on the counter—you’ll miss out on that extra gooey cheese that makes this garlic roll recipe so good.
More easy bread recipes
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Pesto Pull-Apart Bread
- Pizza Dough
- French Bread
- Pita Bread
- Homemade White Bread
- Easy Bread Bowl Recipe
Garlic Cheese Rolls
- 1 can refrigerated original grand biscuits (I prefer Pillsbury)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella (or about 2-3 ounces cubed)
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter or spray non-stick baking spray onto a baking sheet.
- Place the biscuits onto the pan and then place the cheese on top. Pinch the four corners in so that the cheese is hidden and roll into a ball. Then place on baking sheet seam side down.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown and cooked through the center.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese in a small bowl. When the rolls come out, brush the tops with the seasoned melted butter.
- Enjoy the rolls while they’re hot! Best eaten the first day.