This easy homemade pizza dough is made in just 60 minutes and has a nice, crisp outside and great flavor. Perfect for pizza night with the family!
We love to make homemade pizza together on the weekends. While this easy crust recipe is our favorite, we make it in all different forms. A few of our other go-to’s are french bread pizza, pizza chicken roll-ups and pizza pinwheels.
I’m excited to share my favorite homemade pizza dough recipe with you today! This recipe is from the I Heart Naptime Cookbook and is super simple to make! It comes together in just 60 minutes and has a nice, crisp outside and great flavor. Seriously the best!
We absolutely love making homemade pizza together. It’s become one of our favorite traditions. My kids love to help roll out the dough and add their favorite toppings. This dough has become a family favorite go-to for pizza night, along with my easy homemade pizza sauce. Both pair great together and taste so fresh! Sometimes we even make fresh breadsticks to serve with it as well. :)
How to make homemade pizza dough
Proof the yeast. Start by activating the yeast. Simply add 1 cup of warm water (110°F), 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast and 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar in a small bowl. Mix together, then cover with plastic wrap. Let sit until it begins to foam, similar to the left photo below. This usually takes about 5-10 minutes.
Mix the dough. Once the yeast mixture has foamed, pour it into a large bowl along with 2 Tablespoons oil and salt. Add 2 cups flour and knead by hands or with a dough hook until combined. Then add in more of the flour in 1/4 cup increments and knead until the dough is smooth. Continue kneading dough for about 5 minutes.
Let rise. Shape into a ball and rub a little oil around the dough. Place into a bowl and cover with saran wrap. Let rise for about 20 to 60 minutes. It doesn’t need to rise that much, you just want it to puff up a bit.
Roll the dough. Once your dough has puffed up, it’s time to roll it out. I like to roll mine out about 1/4″ thick. You could make it a little thinner or thicker based on preference, however just know that the cooking time will vary.
Spread on the sauce. After your dough is rolled out, you can add the sauce. We usually use a classic tomato-based pizza sauce, but feel free to use white pizza sauce or even pesto. All would taste delicious!
Add toppings. Then it’s time to add your favorite toppings! My kids love plain cheese or pepperoni. However, I love topping mine with burrata cheese, fresh sliced tomatoes, jalapenos and arugula. Yum!
What is the best flour to use? I use all-purpose flour to make this easy crust recipe. No fancy flours like bread flour or 00 flour needed! It crisps up very nicely and tastes delicious!
How long should the dough rise? I typically let mine rise anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. You want it to puff up a bit, but it doesn’t need to rise all that much. Another reason why this recipe is super easy!
What’s the best way to roll the dough? I like to roll out my dough with a rolling pin on a floured surface, however you can toss it as well. Once rolled or tossed, it should be about 12 inches wide and 1/4-inch thick.
Do you cook it before adding toppings? No need to precook the dough prior to adding the toppings! Simply roll it out, add sauce and toppings of choice, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipes using homemade pizza dough:
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table or fine sea salt
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for the counter
Optional toppings: Shredded or sliced mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, pepperoni, sliced bell peppers, olives, sliced onion, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, pineapple, jalapenos
- Mix the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes, or until it starts to foam.
- Place the yeast mixture, 2 Tablespoons oil and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 cups of flour and knead with a dough hook or by hands until combined. Add 1/4 cup more flour at a time and knead until the dough is smooth, soft, and just a little bit sticky, but not to where the dough still sticks to the bowl. Then knead for about 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Roll into a ball and rub a little oil around the dough. Place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 20 to 60 minutes, or until the dough puffs up a bit. It doesn’t need to rise much.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place flour on the counter. Cut the dough in half and then roll out the dough with a rolling pin or toss until 1/4-inch thick and 12-inches wide. You can also make four 6-inch pizzas.
- Lightly brush oil onto a pizza stone or large baking sheet. Place dough onto the stone or pizza pan. Spread sauce over the dough and add your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. If baking smaller pizzas, check around 12 minutes.