Homemade Garlic French Bread Pizza – So simple and delicious! Easy to customize with all your favorite toppings. A tasty recipe that both kids and adults will love.
If I ever ask my kids what they want for dinner, I know exactly what they’re going to say. PIZZA! We usually end up making homemade pizza, ordering pizza or doing something different like pizza chicken roll ups.
French bread pizza
We love to make this french bread pizza recipe on the weekends or during busy weeknights. It’s a family favorite and is so, so easy to whip up. I make my homemade french bread recipe at least once a month, so we like to make the french bread pizzas (or pizza boats as my kids call them) with the extra loaf.
The best part about this pizza bread is that you can customize each half (or cut the loaf into 4 pizza boats) to make everyone happy! I like to make one half caprese style and the other half cheese/pepperoni. My kids love putting their own pizza sauce and cheese on. You could even got more creative and use a white or pesto sauce. So many options. YUM!
Ingredients for pizza bread
The base of each french bread pizza requires only 5 simple ingredients. Then you can add any desired toppings that you prefer. So easy!
How to make french bread pizza
Now I know that you can buy this pizza bread in the frozen freezer section (I definitely have before), but it is so much more delicious to make your own french bread pizza. Just follow the simple steps below. Scroll down for the printable french bread pizza recipe.
- First, cut the loaf of french bread in half. Spread the butter on top of the bread and then sprinkle the garlic powder on top to make a garlic bread base. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until lightly toasted. This helps the pizza to not get soggy.
- Top with your favorite pizza sauce (I love the DeLallo brand or my homemade sauce here), cheese and your favorite toppings. Then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, slice and enjoy!
Favorite toppings for french bread pizza
There are seriously so many delicious combinations that you can choose for your pizza boat. Below are a few of our favorite sauces and toppings.
Sauce options for french bread pizza
Optional toppings for french bread pizza
- Sliced olives
- Red onions
- Balsamic glaze
French bread pizza variations
You can get super creative with this french bread pizza recipe! Below are a few variations that would be delicious.
- Classic: Pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni.
- Caprese: Pizza sauce, cheese, tomatoes, basil, balsamic glaze.
- Alfredo: Alfredo sauce, cheese, chicken and other toppings like spinach or bacon.
- Pesto: Pesto sauce, cheese & other toppings like chicken, tomatoes, spinach & arugula.
- Spinach and artichoke: White pizza sauce, cheese, spinach and artichokes.
- BBQ chicken: BBQ sauce, cheese, chicken & other toppings like peppers, onions or bacon.
- Ham & pineapple: Pizza sauce, cheese, ham and pineapple.
- Buffalo chicken: Buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, cheese and chicken.
- Veggie: Pizza sauce, cheese and any of your favorite veggies.
French Bread Pizza Recipe
Optional toppings: pepperoni, sliced olives, sliced peppers, mushrooms, red onions, tomatoes, basil, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the loaf of french bread in half. Spread the butter on top of the bread and then sprinkle the garlic powder on top. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven and then spread the sauce on top. Then sprinkle the cheese on top and add your favorite toppings. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Allow to cool for a few minutes, slice and enjoy!