This homemade garlic french bread pizza is so simple and delicious! Easy to customize with all your favorite toppings. A 20 minute recipe that both kids and adults will love.
Table of Contents
Easy Garlic French Bread Pizza
If I ever ask my kids what they want for dinner, I know exactly what they’re going to say. PIZZA! We usually end up making homemade pizza, ordering pizza or doing something different like this pizza bread, sheet pan pizza or pizza chicken roll ups. On Valentine’s we even make heart shape pizza!
We love to make this french bread pizza recipe on the weekends or during busy weeknights. It’s a family favorite and is so, so easy to whip up.
I make my homemade french bread recipe at least once a month, so we like to make the french bread pizzas (or pizza boats as my kids call them) with the extra loaf.
The best part about this pizza bread is that you can customize each half (or cut the loaf into 4 pizza boats) to make everyone happy! I like to make one half caprese bread style and the other half cheese/pepperoni. So many options.
Ingredients for Pizza Bread
The base of each pizza requires only 5 simple ingredients. Then you can add any desired toppings that you prefer!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- French bread: You can definitely buy french bread from the store, but I love to use homemade french bread or French baguette whenever we have it on hand. My french bread recipe makes two loaves, so this pizza bread is absolutely perfect for using leftovers.
- Butter: I like to spread butter and garlic on top of the bread, then bake it in the oven for a few minutes prior to adding the toppings. This helps keep it crispy and also adds extra flavor.
- Garlic: I usually use garlic powder, but fresh minced garlic would absolutely work too. Just sprinkle it on top of the butter.
- Pizza sauce: I make my own pizza sauce because it’s super quick and easy and there’s no cooking involved. Just mix the ingredients together! If buying from the store, I love the DeLallo brand.
- Cheese: You can’t have pizza without the cheese! My go-to is freshly shredded mozzarella.
Variations to Try
You can get super creative with this recipe! Below are a few variation ideas that would be delicious.
- Classic: Pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni make the best pepperoni pizza recipe!
- Caprese: Pizza sauce, cheese, tomatoes, basil and balsamic glaze
- Alfredo: Alfredo sauce, cheese and chicken
- Pesto: Pesto sauce, cheese and other toppings like chicken, tomatoes or spinach
- Spinach and artichoke: White pizza sauce, cheese, spinach and artichokes
- BBQ chicken: BBQ sauce, cheese, chicken and other toppings like peppers, onions or bacon
- Ham & pineapple: Pizza sauce, cheese, ham and pineapple
- Buffalo chicken: Buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, cheese and chicken
- Veggie: Pizza sauce, cheese and any of your favorite veggies
How to Make French Bread Pizza
Now I know that you can buy this pizza bread in the frozen freezer section (I definitely have before), but it is so much more delicious to make your own. Just follow the simple steps. Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Toast the bread. First, cut the loaf of french bread in half. Spread the butter on top of the bread and then sprinkle the garlic powder on top to make a garlic bread base. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Add toppings. Top with your favorite sauce, cheese and toppings. Then bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy. Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes. Then cut into slices and enjoy while warm!
Favorite Pizza Toppings
There are seriously so many delicious combinations that you can choose for your homemade french bread pizza boat. Below are a few of our favorites.
- Sliced olives
- Red onions
- Red peppers
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze
- Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
Tips to Prevent Sogginess
Pre-bake the bread
This is my main tip to prevent the bread from getting soggy. Spread on the butter and garlic and bake the bread in the oven for about 5 minutes before adding the toppings. You want it to get lightly toasted before adding anything else on. Then once the toppings are added, put it back in the oven to bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
Don’t overdo it on sauce
Adding too much sauce can cause the bread to get soggy as well. I add about 1/4 cup sauce per french bread half. I like to use the back of a spoon to evenly spread it on and also leave about 1/2 inch room from the edges.
In this case, this recipe is called French bread pizza because I treat a loaf of French bread just as I would pizza dough. I top it with everything I would put on my pizza, and therefore turn it into French bread pizza.
This recipe is made of a loaf of french bread, garlic butter, pizza sauce, and cheese. You can top it with whatever you like.
Yes! Cool completely then wrap in plastic wrap to prevent freezer burn and store in a freezer safe container up to 3 months. Reheat in the oven from frozen.
You can also freeze pre-made pizza bread! Just press the toppings into the bread, flash freeze and then once frozen store in a freezer safe container. Bake from frozen adding a few minutes to baking time.
Leftover pizza will keep in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. Reheat in a warm oven or microwave for a few minutes.
Want even more great pizza recipes? Check out my best homemade pizza recipes.
More Ways to Use Leftover French Bread
French Bread Pizza Recipe
Optional toppings: Pepperoni, Sliced olives, Sliced peppers, Mushrooms, Red onions, Tomatoes, Basil, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Spread the butter over each bread slice and sprinkle with garlic powder. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 3 to 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the top of each slice. Add any additional toppings, if desired. Top with cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Let cool for a few minutes, slice, and enjoy!
- Classic: Pizza sauce, cheese, and pepperoni
- Caprese: Pizza sauce, cheese, tomatoes, basil, and balsamic glaze
- Alfredo: Alfredo sauce, cheese, and chicken
- Pesto: Pesto sauce, cheese, and other toppings like chicken, tomatoes, or spinach
- Spinach and artichoke: White pizza sauce, cheese, spinach, and artichokes
- BBQ chicken: BBQ sauce, cheese, chicken, and other toppings like peppers, onions, or bacon
- Ham & pineapple: Pizza sauce, cheese, ham, and pineapple
- Buffalo chicken: Buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, cheese, and chicken
- Veggie: Pizza sauce, cheese, and any of your favorite veggies
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!