These EASY Homemade Breadsticks rise quickly and are done in less than an hour! They’re soft, flavorful and have a delicious parmesan butter topping. Perfect for beginners!
Homemade breadsticks are a favorite in my house and are always gone so fast! And since this breadstick recipe is so easy, I have no problem making them all the time! Looking for other simple bread recipes? Check out my easy garlic bread, garlic cheese rolls, french bread and homemade bread bowls.
My family absolutely loves these homemade breadsticks and requests them weekly! They’re super soft, flavorful and have a delicious parmesan butter topping. They pair perfectly with pizza, soups, salads…you name it. We even often eat them as a snack with pizza sauce or cheese sauce. Yum!
While I love making homemade rolls, these breadsticks are so much easier and a lot faster. I like to make this breadstick recipe when I’m in a hurry, because they rise quickly and are done in less than an hour. You can’t beat that!
What are breadsticks made of?
The ingredients needed to make these homemade breadsticks are pretty simple…most of them are pantry staples. You do, however, need active dry yeast. I like to buy a jar of the yeast so that I always have it on hand when I’m making homemade bread or rolls.
- Active dry yeast
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Parmesan cheese (grated)
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, parsley and Italian seasoning
How to make breadsticks
Scroll down for the printable breadstick recipe.
- Mix water, yeast and sugar together in small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit until it begins to foam, about 5 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, combine 1 cup flour and salt. Stir in yeast mixture and oil and start to knead by hand (or use a dough hook). Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until dough is smooth, but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Lightly flour the counter (or breadboard) and roll dough out into rectangle shape. Cut into 16 pieces with a pizza cutter. Leave long or twist the ends, then place on baking sheets.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons butter, then stir in garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes and Parmesan cheese. Brush mixture on top of breadsticks.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned. When the breadsticks come out of the oven, brush any leftover butter on top.
TIP: You can easily half this breadsticks recipe if you’re cooking for a smaller crowd.
What do you eat with breadsticks?
Pizza: We love to make homemade pizza and breadsticks on pizza night! Both are delicious and taste so much better made from scratch.
Soup: These breadsticks pair perfectly with a warm bowl of soup! I love to dip them in. :) Some of my favorites soups to enjoy with breadsticks are pasta fagioli, lasagna soup and vegetable beef soup.
Salad: Some of my favorite restaurants serve a warm breadstick or roll with their salad entrees. It’s a great addition! I like to make homemade breadsticks when making my Cobb salad and Mediterranean salad.
How do you store homemade breadsticks?
To store breadsticks, simply wrap in foil or place in a zip top bag. Just make sure they’ve cooled completely prior to storing. The breadsticks will keep for about 3-5 days stored at room temperature.
Can bread sticks be frozen?
Yes, you can freeze these homemade breadsticks. I recommend wrapping them individually in foil, then placing in a zip top freezer bag. The breadsticks will last in the freezer for about 2 to 3 months. To reheat, simply bake in oven until warm. Alternatively you can microwave for a few seconds until warm.
- 1 1/2 cups warm (about 110°F) water
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3-31/2 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, mix the water, yeast, and sugar until just combined. Cover with saran wrap and let sit for 5 minutes, or until it begins to foam.
- In large bowl, combine, 1 cup flour and salt. Stir in yeast mixture and olive oil and begin to knead by hand or using a dough hook. Add 1/2-cup flour at a time until the dough is smooth, but not sticky. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and allow the dough to rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Lightly flour the counter or a breadboard and roll out into a rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 16 pieces. Leave long or twist the ends and then place the breadsticks on baking sheets.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons butter and stir in garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes, and Parmesan cheese. Brush over the tops of the breadsticks.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom of the breadsticks are lightly browned. Brush any leftover butter over the top when they come out of the oven.