This easy homemade breadstick recipe is done in less than an hour! They’re soft, flavorful and have a delicious buttery parmesan topping. Perfect for beginners!
Table of Contents
Easy Homemade Breadsticks
Homemade breadsticks are a favorite in my house and are always gone so fast! And since this recipe is so easy, I have no problem making them all the time! Looking for other simple bread recipes? Check out my easy stuffed cheesy garlic bread and garlic cheese rolls.
My family absolutely loves these homemade breadsticks and requests them weekly! They’re super soft, flavorful and have a delicious parmesan garlic butter topping. They pair perfectly with pizza, soups, salads…you name it. We even often eat them as a snack with pizza sauce or cheese sauce. Yum!
While I love making homemade rolls, these breadsticks are so much easier and a lot faster. I like to make this recipe when I’m in a hurry, because they rise quickly and are done in less than an hour. You can’t beat that!
Why this Recipe Works
- Quick. Just 45 minutes to homemade breadsticks that are great with so many dishes.
- Tasty. I love the flavors of garlic, Italian seasoning, and parmesan that shine on these buttery easy-to-eat homemade breadsticks.
- Pantry ingredients. These can be made with almost everything you find in the pantry–just be sure your active dry yeast is as fresh as possible.
The ingredients needed to make this recipe are pretty simple…most of them are pantry staples. You do, however, need active dry yeast. I like to buy a jar of the yeast so that I always have it on hand when I’m making homemade breadsticks or rolls.
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Warm water: The water temperature is key. If it’s too hot, it will kill the yeast. I like to keep it around 105°F.
- Active dry yeast: Make sure you are using fresh yeast. If your yeast is old, your bread will not rise.
- Granulated sugar: This is necessary to help the yeast rise and adds a little sweetness.
- Salt: Another important component that helps dough proof and brings out the flavor.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: This makes the dough extra smooth and adds a great flavor.
- All-purpose flour: This all-around flour gives the homemade breadsticks structure.
- Butter: I like to use salted for the extra flavor it adds to the topping.
- Parmesan cheese: Use grated so it adheres to the breadsticks better
- Seasonings: Garlic powder, parsley and Italian seasoning give these breadsticks a nice boost of flavor.
How to Make Homemade Breadsticks
It takes just 45 minutes to make these delightful and delicious homemade breadsticks. You will want a pizza cutter to easily cut the dough into strips, but you can use a long knife in a pinch.
- Proof the yeast. Mix water, yeast and sugar together in small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit until it begins to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Knead and let rise. In a separate large bowl, combine 1 cup flour and salt. Stir in yeast mixture and oil and start to knead by hand (or use a dough hook). Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until dough is smooth, but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise for 15 minutes.
- Roll the dough. Lightly flour the counter (or breadboard) and roll dough out into rectangle shape. Cut into 16 pieces with a pizza cutter. Leave long or twist the ends, then place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Season. Melt 4 Tablespoons butter, then stir in garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes and Parmesan cheese. Brush the garlic butter mixture on top.
- Bake in oven. Bake at 400°F for 12 to 15 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned. When they come out of the oven, brush any leftover butter on top.
TIP: You can easily halve this homemade breadsticks recipe if you’re cooking for a smaller crowd.
What Do You Eat with Homemade Breadsticks?
- Soup: These homemade breadsticks pair perfectly with a warm bowl of soup! I love to dip them in. :) Some of my favorites soups to enjoy them with are pasta fagioli, lasagna soup and vegetable beef soup.
- Salad: Some of my favorite restaurants serve a warm breadstick or roll with their salad entrees. It’s a great addition! I like to enjoy them with my Cobb salad and Mediterranean salad.
- Italian dishes: Serving homemade breadsticks alongside classic Italian dishes is a no-brainer! They taste amazing paired with lasagna, alfredo, spaghetti bolognese and chicken marsala.
- Pizza: We love to make homemade pizza and breadsticks on pizza night! Both are delicious and taste so much better made from scratch.
- Sauce: You can always enjoy them as an appetizer or snack! We love to make a couple of delicious sauces for dipping, like pizza sauce, alfredo sauce, ranch or cheese sauce.
You can, but I prefer the active dry yeast for this recipe. If using instant, simply add it in with the other ingredients without proofing the yeast first.
Most recipes call for a basic bread recipe which consists of flour, yeast and salt. You can also use pizza dough to make breadsticks.
Absolutely! Omit the savory seasonings and brush with melted butter and sprinkle the homemade breadsticks with sugar and cinnamon after they bake.
Of course! I would just suggest adding 1/2 teaspoon salt to the seasoning mixture.
Storing and Freezing Tips
Store: Simply wrap in foil or place in a zip-top bag. Just make sure they homemade breadsticks have cooled completely prior to storing. They will keep for about 3 to 5 days stored at room temperature.
Freeze: I recommend wrapping them individually in foil, then placing in a zip-top freezer bag. The homemade breadsticks will last in the freezer for about 2 to 3 months. To reheat, simply bake in oven until warm. Alternatively you can microwave for a few seconds until warm.
More Homemade Bread RecipesBrowse all
- 1 ½ cups warm water (about 110°F)
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3-3 ½ cups all-purpose flour , divided, plus more for rolling
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup salted butter , melted
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 ½ Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, stir the water, yeast, and sugar until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit 5 minutes, or until it begins to foam.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine 1 cup flour and salt. Stir in yeast mixture and olive oil and begin to knead. Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until the dough is smooth, but not sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- On a lightly-floured counter or breadboard, roll dough out into a rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 16 pieces. Leave long or twist the ends and then place the breadsticks on baking sheets.
- In a small bowl, stir together butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, parsley flakes, and Parmesan. Brush over the tops of the breadsticks.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until the bottom of the breadsticks are lightly browned. Brush any leftover butter over the top when they come out of the oven.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!