German Chocolate Cookies – a rich, dense, chocolate-y cookie topped with a heavenly coconut pecan frosting and drizzled in chocolate. A deliciously indulgent dessert!
Who here loves cookies? They are pretty much my spirit animal. :) I bake at least one batch of cookies every week, and love having them around for after-school snacks and late night TV-watching munchies. I’ve made just about every variety under the sun, and these German Chocolate Cookies are my latest obsession!
The cookies themselves are rich and dense, and super flavorful from lots of chocolate. The coconut pecan frosting on top is amazing! I could not stop myself from sneaking it by the spoonful when I was supposed to be frosting the cookies. I absolutely love the combination of flavors and textures, with the chewy coconut, the crunchy pecans, and the sweet buttery base. Yum!
Adding a chocolate drizzle bumps up the chocolate flavor even more, and makes them even prettier. They’re like all the best flavors of a German Chocolate cake, combined in a compact delicious little cookie.
These cookies were a huge hit with the whole family, and were gone in 24 hours. They are a must try if you love chocolate and coconut like I do!
Thanks, Alicia! These cookies look amazing!
If you love this amazing cookie recipe, you’ll enjoy these too!
German Chocolate Cookies
for the cookies:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
for the topping:
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 ounces 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate melted
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment or spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and mix to combine. Add the flour mixture, and mix to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into one inch balls and place on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, combine the evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolk, and butter in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Simmer 10 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened and turned a caramel color. Remove from heat and stir in coconut and pecans. Allow the frosting to cool slightly and thicken, then spread on cooled cookies. Drizzle with semisweet chocolate and let cool before serving.