Grilled caprese sandwich stuffed with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil pesto! Takes 10 minutes or less and requires just 5 simple ingredients!
This grilled caprese sandwich is one of my favorite lunch recipes. It’s quick, easy and tastes absolutely delicious. Some of my other lunch favorites are chicken caesar wraps, egg salad sandwich, chicken club lettuce wraps or a buffalo chicken wrap.
One of my all-time favorite sandwiches is a grilled caprese sandwich. I’ve been making them for years and then one day I had one at a local restaurant that put pesto inside. My mind was blown! My all time favorite sandwich just got even better! Seriously, it is so good.
Plus this caprese sandwich is super easy to make. Takes 10 minutes or less. Can’t beat that! ;) The bread is perfectly crispy and the flavor combinations are amazing. I love how gooey the mozzarella gets too. Mmm…I might have to make this for lunch again today!
What goes on a caprese sandwich?
Sourdough bread: I usually pick up a loaf of sliced sour dough bread from a local bakery and it makes this grilled caprese sandwich taste like it came straight from the deli!
Butter: You’ll need a tablespoon of butter to spread on top of the sourdough before grilling. It adds amazing flavor and makes it super crispy!
Pesto: Store-bought or homemade basil pesto both work great.
Tomato: This is a great way to use up fresh tomatoes from your garden! I usually add about 3-4 tomato slices.
Mozzarella: I buy a block of mozzarella and cut off 2 slices, each about 1/4 inch thick.
How to make caprese sandwich
Scroll down for the printable caprese sandwich recipe.
- Warm pan and butter bread. Warm frying pan over medium-heat. Butter both sides of bread and then grill one side.
- Brown bread, then flip. Once it has browned, flip bread over to brown other side. Turn heat to low.
- Assemble caprese sandwich & enjoy! Place pesto on the grilled side and the cheese on top. Allow cheese to melt a little, then place tomatoes on top of the cheese followed by the top piece of bread. Enjoy!
Other tasty caprese recipes:
Grilled Caprese Sandwich Recipe
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon pesto with basil
- 1 tomato , sliced
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese , about 1/4 inch thick
- Warm frying pan over medium-heat. Butter both sides of your bread and then grill one side.
- Once it has browned, flip bread over to brown other side. Turn heat to low. Then place pesto on the grilled side and the cheese on top.
- Allow cheese to melt a little, then place tomatoes on top of the cheese followed by the top piece of bread. Enjoy!