Tender and juicy steak kabobs coated in a flavorful marinade and grilled to perfection. A family favorite meal that’s quick and easy to prepare.
Kabobs are one of our favorite things to grill during the summer. I love the combination of fresh meat and veggies all on one skewer. The grill gives them the best charred flavor. This steak version is our favorite, although chicken kabobs are a close second. Both are so delicious!
Steak kabobs are a summer time staple for our family. They are so flavorful, filling and a great way to add extra veggies to your meal. We love mixing up the vegetables with what’s in season, like fresh zucchini and bell peppers.
These steak kabobs easy to prepare, cook fast and are a meal that the whole family gets excited about. They’re also perfect to make when entertaining or bringing to a BYOM BBQ. I haven’t met anyone who doesn’t love them!
Best steak for kabobs
My favorite steak to use for kabobs is sirloin steak. New York strip or filet mignon are also other great options but they can be more expensive, so we usually stick to sirloin tip.
Marinade. Pour the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl or zip top bag. Stir or shake the mixture until combined. Add in the sliced meat and coat with the sauce. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to 5 hours (the longer, the better).
Assembly. Thread the marinated meat and sliced veggies through the skewers. I typically add about 2 pieces of meat first, then add 3-5 sliced veggies. Then repeat until the skewers are full. I also like to assemble a few “meat only” skewers, too.
Grill. Place the skewers on a preheated grill and cook over medium-high heat until all sides are brown and the meat is no longer pink (about 10-15 minutes). Make sure to keep turning the skewers so that all sides cook evenly.
- Clean the grill and make sure you have enough propane before you start preparing dinner.
- Cut meat and vegetables in uniform size so that they will cook evenly. I tend to cut them in about 1 1/2″ pieces.
- If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for 15 minutes before threading.
- Give yourself time to let the steak marinate. You’ll need at least 30 minutes, but if you can marinate for 2-4 hours then you’ll get the best flavor.
Side dishes to serve along side
More grilled favorites:
- Grilled chicken breast
- Best hamburger recipe
- Shrimp skewers with mango salsa
- Grilled fruit kabobs
- BBQ chicken foil dinner
Steak Kabob Recipe
Steak kabob marinade
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons light soy sauce , or coconut aminos
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon , about 2 Tablespoons
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar , or honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds sirloin steaks , cut into bit sized pieces
Vegetables for kabob
- 2 zucchinis , sliced
- 3 bell peppers (I use orange, red and yellow) , cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and ground black pepper
Steak kabob marinade:
- Place olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl or gallon-sized zip-top bag. Stir or shake until combined. Place meat inside the bag and let sit for at least 30 minutes (up to 5 hours). If you have more time, let it sit longer.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and close the lid.
- Thread meat and vegetables through skewers. Place the skewers on preheated grill. Turn the skewers until nicely browned on all sides and the meat is no longer pink, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before serving, if desired.